Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I think this is a trail..
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An old riding buddy that I hadn't talked to in ages called me up out of the blue and wanted to hook up for an adventure. I had a company stat holiday on friday so we made plans to do a route neither one of us had ever attempted.

Chris and I decided to do a variation of the "Over Moose Mountain" trip in the Back Country Biking in the Canadian Rockies guide book. We would turn it into a loop instead of a point to point by going Moose Mountain to Jumpingpound Ridge and returning via Canyon Creek.

A wicked hail storm the night before changed my original plan of doing the K-80 race course as far as Jumpingpound and then climbing Moose Mountain, but after seeing what is involved I think our final route was a much better decision.

We started out by riding up a very muddy Sulfur Springs single track and were actually happy to turn onto the dryer Moose Mountian fire road. 15kms of climbing brought us to the end of the road and some amazing views.

Looking back down at the fire road and the valley we started from (4500ft)...

After the road ends the hiking begins. We had anticipated plenty of pushing so we packed light hiking shoes along, a very good call.

Looking at the final push up to the Moose Mountain summit and fire lookout. See the marmot in the foreground?

A close up of Mr Marmot with the front range of the Canadian Rockies in the background...

The final push up to the lookout. The hard work was still to come...

Once at the summit (8000ft)we finally got a view of the next section of our route, a 7km traverse above treeline over to Jumpingpound ridge.

We would follow the top of the rocky ridge and drop down to the gas drilling platform (road) and then follow the lower green ridge over to Jumpingpound Ridge (far left hand side of picture)...

Chris picking his way down the pile of scree. This where the hiking shoes came in real handy!

Once at the second summit we were able to put our bike shoes back on and ride, woo hoo! Dropping down to the gas well platform was a riot, we were on a steep grassy slope with no trail and large sections of big rocks, forcing us to pick our lines carefully to prevent being "rocked out"...

Chris climbing to the second summit...

After some bushwacking we managed to gain the east ridge of Jumpingpound. The travelling was much easier now, we even had a bit of a trail to follow!

Looking along the ridge towards Jumpingpound (green summit in the distance).

After pushing and riding along the grassy ridge we finally reached the top of Jumpingpound Ridge (7200ft). Looking back at Chris labouring and the ridges we followed to get here...

6000 feet of elevation gain had taken its toll on us and we were only half way around our 50km loop! Luckly we had a nice long descent off of Jumpingpound to look forward to. We didn't realize it at the time but the rest of the ride would be all downhill :)

The climb up the south ridge is always nasty, but riding down it was pure joy!

We finished off with the Canyon Creek trail, which neither of us had done before. The description in the guide book had always turned us off, with its umpteen creek crossings and many unridable sections.It turned out to be a pleasant surprise, in that it was a gradual downhill on tight and twisty single track! The creek crossings (we lost count at 15) proved to be blessing as well, since were in the heat of the day and almost out of water.

A gradual descent on the Canyon Creek road and highway 66 would have us rolling into Station Flats trailhead spent but with huge smiles on our faces.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys missed...

the heat wave! 33c today, the 24hr guys will be cooked about now...

Oh, looks like I'll be getting a new bike sooner instead of later, I broke my frame yesterday... :(

Any suggestions? ;)

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
Cajun Style

skogan said:

Oh, looks like I'll be getting a new bike sooner instead of later, I broke my frame yesterday... :(

Any suggestions? ;)
Heckler.

Kick ass shots Greg! Quite the adventure there. Watcha mean? Broke your Ti frame?

24hours was insane, it hit 37 at the camp site yesterday around....the time I was heading out on the course. The night laps were the best as the temperature hovered around 20 degrees.

We had a great race, pics are coming. Both Nic and I killed our terralogic forks btw. :(

b. (heading for the shower)

·
Registered
984 Posts
skogan said:

Any suggestions? ;)
where on the frame? How?

There can be only one other option...

or

Gary (stokey) has a slayer, same one as mine, that he's looking to get ride of. 18inch.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Discovered a big ol' crack right at the seat tube-top juction, right where the aluminum sleeve for the seatpost ends. Always thought that was just the seatpost flexing under my big arse.

I'm going to see what Norco can do for me first but I'm not optimistic since it is a second hand frame. Anyone hear how the Fluid works as an "all mountain" bike?

Demo'd a Jamis Dakar XLT today, seems to be a knock off of the Edge bike. Kind of portly but it did grow on me. 5 inches front and rear via a Manitou Swinger 4way and Minute 2:00. $2000 for the frame and fork.

I was impressed with Bone's new toy, the Heckler so I plan on seeing if Big Bri down at Bike Cafe can take care of me...

Any idea of how much Gary wants for his Slayer?

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See my reply to Sharon below as to what happened to my frame.
Interested in unloading that phlegm green Team 853?

Dropped by the camper last night but you were out roaming around.

Bummer about the forks, warrentee issue?

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
the green hornet...

skogan said:
See my reply to Sharon below as to what happened to my frame.
Interested in unloading that phlegm green Team 853?

Dropped by the camper last night but you were out roaming around.

Bummer about the forks, warrentee issue?
Wow, bummer on the frame. Too bad we missed you last night, as it turned out our team started drinking at 2am and we went from 4th to 50th. Much fun was had however.

The green hornet is yours for a handshake and perhaps a bottle of wine. i'll strip it down tomorrow if I get a chance.

b.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bones said:
The green hornet is yours for a handshake and perhaps a bottle of wine. i'll strip it down tomorrow if I get a chance.

b.
Sounds good! That will keep me riding until I make up my mind anyways...

I've got to at least throw in a case of Pil for the old girl! Disc tabs right?
I might be in town tuesday night, if you don't get her stripped I can do it over a beer or two...

Tomorrow I'll be on the horn with Norco and some of the dealers to see what I can do...

·
Registered
984 Posts
skogan said:
Any idea of how much Gary wants for his Slayer?
Gary wants $1300.00 for the 18inch slayer with a Z3 130 mm fork.

Lee got the Norco Team Dually as a warrentee for his Ti frame. Give it a try!
Just don't put magura's on it and you won't have the same problem he had... he was complaining about the weight though. I think the Heckler would be too freeride for you, you're more of a Blur or Edge kinda guy! Remember, bottom bracket height! Read the review on the Jamis before you go there.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
skogan said:
Any suggestions? ;)
What about your DeKerf frame?

FS: SC Blur, Intense 5.5 EVP, IronHorse Hollowpoint

HT: Cove Hummer (Ti), Cove Handjob (Steel)
BTW, Cove has their 03 frames on sale for half price right now, not sure if the Hummer qualifies.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Hey You Two!

Put it in the MTBR.com buy-and-sell for $2 or whatever it is you are supposed to do as a courtesy to Francis & Gregg.

Note: If you buy the Slayer, I'll throw in some pictures of Gary and myself from our Moose Mountain ride back in '94. D.

·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CraigH said:
What about your DeKerf frame?

The Dekerf is my Az bike these days, I looked into those Cove frames but they don't have any Hummers or Handjobs in stock.

See you in a month!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts