Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2013 moonlander (black offset fork and rear offset) with bud and lou. upgraded to sram gripshift xo. I have the opportunity to sell it and buy a new fatboy comp for a couple of hundred bucks. I ride my moonie mostly in the snow on ski doo trails, XC ski trails and snowshoe trails, and couple of summer rides a year. I would think the swap is a good Idea for the carbon fork upgrade and the aluminium frame.

My questions are: Is the fat boy a better bike for what I do? Does it sound like it's an upgrade or not? I love the moonie's bud and lou, would I have to upgrade the ground controls for winter riding or are they as good? Are the bud and lou as good on 80mm rims?

Thanks

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I am not totally convinced a Bud or a Lou will fit on the back of a Fatboy on the stock rims. I for one and hoping the Ground Controls do a good enough job that I don't need to go back to a B&L ever but time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I am in a similar spot- have a 907 that I've been riding the last two winters. I have an opportunity to get a FatBoy for about an even swap. I'd swap over components I wanna keep (x0 twisters, etc), but my biggest concern on the Fatboy is how low the bars are- apparently, they didn't leave much room on the steerer to accommodate raising the bars and many folks are putting riser bars and stems on them- I use an "alt" bar, and don't wanna give those up, but it limits what rise I can get out of the front end...

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
Just looking at the two (newer moonlander) I have to say I like the moonlander. I like the option of a 135mm hub front/rear gives a lot of options, I like the fork mounts, I like the thumbie shifters, and I like the steel.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the Fatboy and ridden a Moonie quiet a few times. (Beach and sand mainly)
Not much in it, I would be happy with either
Fatboy is a little lighter and better specs, but I have had to
put on a riser bar, and still feel I need a bit more. Probably get a new stem
Main reason I went with a Fatboy is that the Expert is about $600 less than the Moonie over here
Basically they are both mountain bikes with big fat tyres

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
I believe all the early test samples were with B&L on fatboy rims. See this article (with photos!): Ride Impression: Specialized Fat Boy

So whether you want them or not (which is a different story), I think they'd fit just fine.
Still not fully convinced. I sat and checked one out along with the shop mechanic and we couldn't decide. if it would it would be tight. The ones in the pics could be pre production frames or any good frame builder could crimp the stays, there are ways to make em fit, hell I had em on a 170 Fatback with 90's so I know if there's a will there's a way. Of coarse they might fit but I would rather see one of us common folk try it first and I sure hope they do. Oh and between the Moonie and the Fatboy, I like the Spesh.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have put on about 250 miles in/on the snow on my Fatboy & really like the G C tires ,rolls real nice & great traction I don`t think you can go wrong with them .I do have to say I have never tried Bud or Lou so I can`t tell you how they compare.As far as fit goes ,front on the Fatboy will fit for sure the back if they fit inside the stays it will work because the chain line is real good on this bike,its a matter if they will fit in there.I know I have seen the early fatboys with Bud & lou on them but who know how well they fit ,if there was tire rub things like that. Maybe that's why they down sizes the G C tires from 4.8" to 4.6" who knows ? The fatboy is awesome & I have owned 3 different fatbikes & ridden many over the last 5 years or so :) KP

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Still not fully convinced. I sat and checked one out along with the shop mechanic and we couldn't decide. if it would it would be tight.
The Fatboy stays are tight but not *that* tight.

Exactly how wide is a Lou on a 90mm rim? Based on Surley's numbers for the 82 and 100mm rims it would be around 4.56 inches wide. GC is 4.5. What exactly is the problem?

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
The Fatboy stays are tight but not *that* tight.

Exactly how wide is a Lou on a 90mm rim? Based on Surley's numbers for the 82 and 100mm rims it would be around 4.56 inches wide. GC is 4.5. What exactly is the problem?
Easy there cowboy, it was just an idea for the OP to check to make sure a Lou would fit. Part of the problem with the Lou is the bigger diameter and it puts the wider part of the tire in a different place which is some of the problem I had with them. I hope it fits but want to hear of a positive result first and this is out of curiosity and not to bash your bike. Hell I'm hoping the GC turns out to be a better tire anyways. If I wasn't a$$ deep in my fatty I would own a Fatboy in a second.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Easy there cowboy, it was just an idea for the OP to check to make sure a Lou would fit. Part of the problem with the Lou is the bigger diameter and it puts the wider part of the tire in a different place which is some of the problem I had with them. I hope it fits but want to hear of a positive result first and this is out of curiosity and not to bash your bike. Hell I'm hoping the GC turns out to be a better tire anyways. If I wasn't a$$ deep in my fatty I would own a Fatboy in a second.
This cowboy's easy. Wasn't being difficult... just asking why.

My number might be off by a bit too. The tread knows might be a little wider, but still not that much.

One interesting point is the reason we don't know the answer: because no one here has bothered to swap out a GC for bud and lou yet. I'm not sure exactly how much to read into that but it's certainly not a bad sign for the GC's.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.