Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
will rant for food
4,029 Posts
The chainline is going to be 70mm or 75mm for an Alfine 8.

Cog "normal" mount chain line: 42mm
Moonlander offset: 28mm
42 + 28 = 70mm chain line
Subtract ~4mm (half of chain width) means 66mm inside-of-chain
Max BFL / 100 combo, 120mm / 2 = 60mm half tire width
66 - 60 = 6mm chain/tire clearance

Flip the cog around and you'll have 11mm of clearance.

It is a matter of finding the right chain line at the crank.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
mukluk with adapter is for qr's only isn't it?
alfine's not a qr hub.
sure it could be modded (and if so let us know!) but it doesn't sound like a bolt-on affair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Pugs is the clear winner for use with the Alfine. Need the horizontal dropouts to keep chain tensioned. The Mukluk has a 170mm rear axle spacing and the Alfine is built for a 135 spacing. Want internal gears, better embrace the horizontal dropouts. It would take a huge piece of machining and modification to get the Alfine to work on the Mukluk.

·
mtbr member
293 Posts
As I am waiting for my Moonlander to land this post keeps me wondering.

Could a stock Moonlander bike be converted to Alfine using the same stock rim?
What else has to be replaced and would it be worth the investment?

·
Registered
15,007 Posts

Here is what an Alfine 8 wheel looks like in a Moonlander [top = 28mm frame offset] and a Pugs [bottom = 17.5mm frame offset] using a Large Marge Offset rim...note I measured my LM rim offset as 13mm to the right, but it's a 3-4yr old rim so the offset may have changed. I also don't know what the offset is for a clownshoe or RD. But this gives you an idea. The extra frame offset makes the spoke tension go from nicely balanced to poorly balanced in the Moonlander.

·
mtbr member
293 Posts
[QUOTE=vikb;The extra frame offset makes the spoke tension go from nicely balanced to poorly balanced in the Moonlander.

Thanks for running the specs on this!

I may just wait and lurk for a few months. I am sure someone will be doing this and report their results. I do not have the expertise to be messing around with this….

I am lucky to have the time to ride.

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
I may just wait and lurk for a few months. I am sure someone will be doing this and report their results. I do not have the expertise to be messing around with this….

I am lucky to have the time to ride.
If you are getting a Moonlander complete you might as well ride it as is for a season and then see what you think.

I think IGHs are the hot ticket for a fatbike, but I wouldn't bother installing one on a fatbike that came with a derailleur until I wore the stock parts out.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I am also interested in this... would an alfine moonlander be the ultimate beach bike?
yes! :) except i found even with a 32 front chainring and a 24t rear on the Alfine 8 speed it was still not a low enough geared 1st gear for really soft sand,
My pug running a 22T front 36T rear 1st gear is a lot lower, 7th gear on the rear was the same as the mentioned Alfine ratio, riding my mech pug along side friend Jasons Alfine pug on the same ratio i used to use, my 3rd gear was the same as his 1st.

I plan to run my Moonlander with a 20t front 36tooth rear 2x9 giving a real low 1st gear to enable it to go where, with an extra 1 inch of rubber it will go easier than my pugsley on its limits :thumbsup:

Once the Alfine 8 speed has a much lower 1st gear ratio, and an overdrive 8th gear then were cooking with gas :thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts

The image above shows that if you had a 25mm offset rim with an Alfine 8 in a Moonlander you'd get a nice evenly tensioned rear wheel.

Anyone know how much offset there is an Rolling Darryl and a Clown Shoe rim?
the holes on the darryl are ~26mm from each other, so roughly 13mm from center just like your marge rim. it makes sense, as the qbp spoke calculator recommends the same method to find spokes for each.

·
Registered
84 Posts

The image above shows that if you had a 25mm offset rim with an Alfine 8 in a Moonlander you'd get a nice evenly tensioned rear wheel.

Anyone know how much offset there is an Rolling Darryl and a Clown Shoe rim?
looks like you're using my friend Karl's Freespoke utility? In the rims database, he's got specs on all three rims: Freespoke

Looks like 20mm on the clownshoes and 12.5 on the Darryl.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,397 Posts
looks like you're using my friend Karl's Freespoke utility? In the rims database, he's got specs on all three rims: Freespoke

Looks like 20mm on the clownshoes and 12.5 on the Darryl.
I was gonna ask what calculator that was - thanks to you and your friend Karl! I usually use Damon Rinard's Spocalc Excel spreadsheet calculator, but it doesn't give you the cool graphic.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.