Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently using Mavic 819 rims with ust tyres. But over the last year or so the whole tubless setup has let me down on several occasions sometime's resulting in long walks home.

What I'm after is a rim thats abit wider, lighter and reasonably strong compared to the 819. These will be run with tubes and normal tyres though I will use tubeless ready at a push. I'm a serial tyre swapper so would like a rim that is fairly easy to mount tyres on and get the them to seat evenly.

I've looked at Stans Arch ex and Spank oozy's sofar any other suggestions appreciated.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
WTB Frequency i23 TCS are wider and weigh less (if you include the nipple inserts on the 819's). No long term durability reports but they appear to be built quite well.

I wouldn't recommend the 2nd generation Stans rims (such as the Arch EX) if you're running tubes or like an easy to mount tires on rim. They're designed to fit tires tight for tubeless security and inflating without a compressor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll take a look at the WTB rims. I've started racing (I quite enjoy it) but i'd think I'd prefer to stick with a trail strength rim for peace of mind.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
The I23's are lighter even without counting the nipple inserts. I think its a good call

Its a UST bead, but so is the 819. If you're having trouble with tubeless tires on a UST rim, you've about found the limit of tubeless setups.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
I'm currently using Mavic 819 rims with ust tyres. But over the last year or so the whole tubless setup has let me down on several occasions sometime's resulting in long walks home.

What I'm after is a rim thats abit wider, lighter and reasonably strong compared to the 819. These will be run with tubes and normal tyres though I will use tubeless ready at a push. I'm a serial tyre swapper so would like a rim that is fairly easy to mount tyres on and get the them to seat evenly.

I've looked at Stans Arch ex and Spank oozy's sofar any other suggestions appreciated.
Have you not been carrying a spare tube and pump? Still needed with any tubeless setup.

For a new set of rims for tubed use forget Notubes. Shallow center drop and oversized BSD = tough tire mounting.

Also avoid most rims with an inner bead lock lip. Tough to get the tire bead seated.

I would look at the Halo Freedom Disc. Strong, 28mm wide. a bit heavier than the 819. Easy to mount tires

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I always carry spare tubes etc with me. It's just I've had possibly bad luck with sealant not sealing pin prick holes, and the whole mess with putting a tube in a tyre thats had sealant in it. To be honest when it worked I loved tubeless. I was the only person in the group I ride with that ran the setup.

It's just there has been a few times where I've had cause to curse it's existance and as I like long rides in the middle of nowhere and now I'm getting back in to racing I'm thinking I'd like a slightly lighter setup using tubes.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Yes I always carry spare tubes etc with me. It's just I've had possibly bad luck with sealant not sealing pin prick holes, and the whole mess with putting a tube in a tyre thats had sealant in it. To be honest when it worked I loved tubeless. I was the only person in the group I ride with that ran the setup.

It's just there has been a few times where I've had cause to curse it's existance and as I like long rides in the middle of nowhere and now I'm getting back in to racing I'm thinking I'd like a slightly lighter setup using tubes.
One of reasons I do not use sealant unless absolutely necessary.

When I need maximum reliability I do choose to use inner tubes,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of reasons I do not use sealant unless absolutely necessary.

When I need maximum reliability I do choose to use inner tubes,
Yes when I rode localy I was getting punctures from thorns every week until I used sealant but as I've said the cons have outweighed the pro's lately.

Stumbled across the Sun ringle site last night. The Inferno 25 rim looked exactly what I am after a little wider, lighter and hopefully strong/resilient. I found a few threads about how they are not very good for tubeless but apart from that not alot. Anyone used them? there was not much info on the site but I assume they use a normal bead seat* So should be relatively easy to mount normal tyres.

I read the I23 thread aswell and they do sound good and they are on the short list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts