Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those fine folks who did the group ride a couple of weeks ago at Sherando I mentioned a nice 11 miler at Montvale (between Roanoke & Lynchburg). A group of us from Lynchburg are planning on doing the ride next Saturday the 27th. We could do the 22 miler if there is a lot of interest but I believe that the 11 miler may be a better ride for a diverse group of riders and abilities.

The route is basically leave the lot and climb 2 miles straight up a fireroad to the parkway and then take the parkway about 4 miles to the Bobbit's gap crossing. Then take a fireroad about 1-2 miles down to 5 miles of demanding but fun singletrack back to the start. We could then make a stop in Lynchburg for beverages and a meal if anyone is interested. Time & meeting details to follow.

Vaughn

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
VaughnA said:
For those fine folks who did the group ride a couple of weeks ago at Sherando I mentioned a nice 11 miler at Montvale (between Roanoke & Lynchburg). A group of us from Lynchburg are planning on doing the ride next Saturday the 27th. We could do the 22 miler if there is a lot of interest but I believe that the 11 miler may be a better ride for a diverse group of riders and abilities.

The route is basically leave the lot and climb 2 miles straight up a fireroad to the parkway and then take the parkway about 4 miles to the Bobbit's gap crossing. Then take a fireroad about 1-2 miles down to 5 miles of demanding but fun singletrack back to the start. We could then make a stop in Lynchburg for beverages and a meal if anyone is interested. Time & meeting details to follow.

Vaughn
...are you guys descending down spec mines trail? I wish I could join you...but, as you know, I will be having shoulder surgery in the morning. Sounds like a fun ride planned tho!!!

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the long route I thought we could consider. The short would be up blackhorse gap to the parkway, over to bobbits and down to the glenwood trail and back to the start. After thinking about it I think it might be better in the other direction. Do you know the long route well enough to describe it for getting lost proof use? I've heard great things about Spec Mines and it would make for a longer ride.

Good luck with the surgery. We'll be waiting for your return.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If it was Sunday I'd be glad to go. I work 10-7 Saturday, though. I used to race go-karts in Montvale. I didn't know there was anywhere to ride there.

If you do it again later, please post something about it. I'd love to try it.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Were going long

Update: It looks like the consensus of the three of us planning on doing the ride so far is that we're going to do the 22 miler. So now you have more for your money, I hope a few of you can make it. And those of you who can't, we'll miss you and try to get another MTBR trip together soon. I have a proposal...how about a monthly ride if possible.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm all about planned monthly rides. With my schedule, if I can't plan for it a few weeks in advance, I can't do it.

We are working on a monthly ride here in Roanoke at Carvin's Cove too. I'll post something about that later once we have something organized...

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mud'n'sweat said:
I'd love to go, but it's a work weekend for me.
I couldn't remember if it was a good one for you or not. The ride is actually organized by a friend with the same situation as you but on different weekends. He just asked me to post it here. We're planning on maybe going to Poor Farm next month. Maybe we can get together then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.