Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a group/store/organization that offers mountain bike instruction in the Montreal area?

I have done a bit of road cycling, and would like to get started riding mountain bikes. I'm looking for everything from bike buying advice to actual riding techniques.

Many thanks

Jeff
I'm not aware of any instruction really, but I'm sure a quick search of clubs in Quebec will get you onto the right path. As for choosing a bike and having an easy start to things, Rigaud is a good option. Like with skiing it's a good place to learn. 2 very easy cross country runs are a good intro. Not too hard up or down run 1 or 2 (being classed green).

If your looking to try diff bikes and see what feels best Rocky Mountain are doing a demo day this Sunday June 1st from 9-1pm. I went last year and it was really fun to try out diff bikes. All they needed was an ID, my preference of pedal type (clips, or none etc), and that I had a helmet.

I'm not affiliated in any way, just a big fan of what mont Rigaud has done, and enjoyed the demo last year.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi all. My wife and I may be in the Sherbrooke-Montreal area in the last week of April. Are any XC trails likely to be open at this time? Coaticook? East Hereford? others?

It seems really early in the season, but I'm not sure what this particular winter/spring season has been like..

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
345 Posts
You might be lucky in Bromont, but forget about Coaticook and East-Hereford in April. As of 3 days ago, there was 80cm of snow left in Hereford. Coaticook is clay. Wet clay is no fun.

You might want to check the current status report for Bromont on Facebook. Group name is "Les Amis des Sentiers". Not yet open but might be ready soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys! Posting here after a few years.. I moved to the montreal area about 3 years ago and havent touched my mountain bike since then, and looking to get back to it this summer. Im searching for a few recommendations on places to park and ride close to the south shore (Brossard). I will go to Bromont and Coaticook and a few other places this summer for real tracks but in the meantime I am seeking cross country trails to get my cardio running... Ive looked around, there's not much here other than highways, cars and pollution.. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Though I'm sure there's something out there, the south shore doesn't have much going on till you get all the way out to Bromont. I did just find this on Trailforks though: Trivélo Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Never heard of it till now so I can't vouch for it. I spend most of my time at Chanteclerc and Rigaud, but I'd say that's farther from you than Bromont.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks, Hypnotic and swm.

We went to PA in late April instead. Trails were open and very dry. Hope to hit PQ later this summer.

You might be lucky in Bromont, but forget about Coaticook and East-Hereford in April. As of 3 days ago, there was 80cm of snow left in Hereford. Coaticook is clay. Wet clay is no fun.

You might want to check the current status report for Bromont on Facebook. Group name is "Les Amis des Sentiers". Not yet open but might be ready soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, we need to your help to save a trail in Bromont.
As some might or might not know there's a new project from "Bromont Immobilier" who want to sell the last lands on the mountain so news houses will be built, it's called the "Val 8" and it's now house of some awesome trails.
A couple associations in Bromont are working hard so this project will be cancelled and he land will be protected. During this negociation time, SkiBromont made it forbidden to ride the trails in the "val 8" area.
While lots of poeple listened and stopped going to ride there when all this started, the negociations turned to a dead end. Nobody seeing things getting clear, poeple started riding the trails again...
We just learned that SkiBromont asked his trail crew to go in the "Val 8" area on monday (June 29th) and simply destroy one of the best trails there, the trail named "No Name" for those who know.. The trail destruction is nothing more than a revenge/power-ego-trip against the riders because they're not respecting the trails closure...

We don't know how to prevent the trail destruction, for sure riders are not innocent in this story but the reaction from SkiBromont is just a stupid power trip considering A-the land will be destroyed anyway if new houses are to be build, or B-the trails are going to be official if the land is protected..

Thanks for spreading the word, the way I see it is, the more poeple think and say it's a bad decision, the more SkiBromont will understand this is no good advertising for them. I know the SkiBromont marketing dept is quite active on Pinkbike forums, feel free to go there and say how you feel about all that. (you'll see some messages I posted there, they are in french but it basically says the same thing as what I'm saying here, just ways shorter...)
Here's my message on Pinkbike : BROMONT RIDERS! - Page 156 - Pinkbike Forum

Thanks for any help !
Ben

·
Registered
64 Posts
Finally made it up to the aforementioned Oka Abbey trails.
https://www.facebook.com/sentiersabbayeoka
http://www.velo.qc.ca/rep_sentiers/cartes/SentierID284_f5c19bd4a5dae4b2f6675bb08e821ba8.pdf

I've been there a few of times recently (north side only) and highly recommend it. Yesterday some of the trails had been leaf-blown. North side is supposed to be more XC type, south side more freeride type & even DH. Apparently they've built lots of trails this year & more are in the works. Check the facebook page to be sure they're open.
From the traffic circle at the end of the 640 head west on 344, parking spots on both sides of the 344 about 3km from the circle (just after the Agropur sign). Be very careful crossing the road!

·
Registered
44 Posts
"if you're going to Bromont, the Sintra XC trails are really nice and fun, but short. You'll have seen everything after 2-3 hours in the saddle, but it makes for a fun short ride. Really enjoy that place too." We are Planning a stop over hear for the afternoon. This quote from a previous post seems to fit. Are these free trails. Are they easy to find? And finally are they separate of Bromonts pay ski hill trails? I saw when we plan on going threw mid week in early June Bromont is not open yet. Thx

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Valley bras nu Ford charge money for fresh water.

Do you guys bring alot of water to camp Shannon?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chantecler trails will close next year, landowner will be developing a real estate project.
Efforts are underway to buy land & create a new trail network nearby.
https://pleinairsteadele.com/

Made it up there today, don't go often enough. Tough but fun trails for an old guy.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts