Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hello all. I'm currently a long term visitor to the Repentigny area and learning french. I hail from Baltimore, Maryland, where I was surrounded by free trails all over the place. I can't seem to find any free trails around here where you just ride through the woods. Since I can't speak french (yet),many of the above websites are no help. Any ideas where I can start wandering?
There:
Rue Monique - Google Maps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Monique BigJay, but it does not seem like there is any trails starting there anymore. Just the soccer field and some kids playgrounds. I'll get my lady friend to help me on the French websites you suggested above.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hulk - look again, try rue Jean-Pierre;
Les Sentiers de la Presqu'ile
Sentiers de la Presqu'Ile (Near Montreal) Quebec Trail Reviews
Répertoire des sentiers - Fiche du sentier Sentiers de la Presqu\'le
Officially closed until the end of August due to mosquitoes.
You can probably ride now but unless you cover yourself head-to-toe in DEET you'll need a blood transfusion. Never been there.
Oh i raced there every week in high school... mosquitoes would keep the laps quick! No stopping or you're not coming out of the woods!

Worth a try... but don't get high expectations... there were only 2-3 little sections of single track some 15 years ago... rest is fast doubletrack

·
Seriously ?
227 Posts
Hi Folks,

I'm from Brazil and a longtimer at MTBR. I use to live in northern California from 2000-2004 and hang out with the crew over there.

Now I'm spending a one year sabbatical in Quebec, and I'm looking for some trail suggestions. I've been at Mount St-Anne (great place) but I'm trying to find some nice single track around Lac Beauport.

It would be nice to meet some of you locals for a group ride before the summer is over.

Tomorrow I'm planning a ride with a friend in the lac beauport area, and I wonder if someone has a garmin track of a nice trail with single track, within a 20ish km loop.

my email is: gmarques AT civil DOT cefetmg.br

Merci beaucoup !

Gui

·
Registered
10 Posts
I rode up to the de la presquile this week to take a look. Since I'm a visitor in this country right now, I was not willing to ride it with it closed. I can't imagine there would be many Mosquitos right now though since we have had such a dry summer. Ill wait until its open to explore it for the first time. Anyway, if anybody wants to ride and show me some spots sometime, email me at [email protected] dot com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there

I am travelling over from Australia and will be based in Montreal from the 8th October through to the 13th November. I was looking for some recommendations of weekenders to do on my mountain bike while I am there. I have looked up a couple of areas and it looks as though most things close up on the 8th October, is it still worth me bringing my bike over or will the trails be completely watered over by then. I am looking for nice single track, weekend camping type trails. Will have a car and be based in Montreal, any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Lesa

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hi there

I am travelling over from Australia and will be based in Montreal from the 8th October through to the 13th November. I was looking for some recommendations of weekenders to do on my mountain bike while I am there. I have looked up a couple of areas and it looks as though most things close up on the 8th October, is it still worth me bringing my bike over or will the trails be completely watered over by then. I am looking for nice single track, weekend camping type trails. Will have a car and be based in Montreal, any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Lesa
I live in California but have lived in New England and Quebec, so I can give you a couple of comments. First, by that time southern Quebec could be cold and rainy, or even snowy. I hope it won't be. The same is true for northern New England, but if it's not, you should check out the wonderful Kingdom Trails in northern Vermont, perhaps 150 km from Montreal. Site: Kingdom Trails Association. I don't know of anything near Montreal that's as good. You will need your passport to traverse the border. You used to be able to rent a bicycle at the East Burke, Vermont, bicycle shop; I don't know if that's still possible.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi there

Cheers

Lesa

DH ? XC-AM ?

DH: Bromont ot Ste-Anne

XC-AM:
In October, you can still get some excellent XC riding days ... depending of the weather. As for the trails, I'd suggest you go to this site: AllezY - Répertoire des sentiers In all cases, you'll have to drive from 20 to 45 minutes (Bromont or Chantecler) ... or up to 2 - 3 hours (Burke, VT or Ste-Anne close to Quebec) to find the best trails around.

Hope you enjoy your time ... good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bike Rentals Montreal

Hi there anyone know of a bike shop in Montreal that rents front suspension mountain bikes, I would like to hire one this weekend?
Thanks
Lesa

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hopefully somebody here can give me some advice, not sure where else to post/look since I don't speak french. The first week of July, just after the long weekend, I am heading to Bromont to go downhilling for 5 days, figured i'd avoid the crowds by waiting until after Canada day. Before heading to Bromont though, I'm planning on first heading further east on the Saturday long weekend to Coatiacook and East Hereford to do trail riding on the Sunday and Monday.
Is there anybody here who can give any recommendations on lodging? Which area is best to stay in of the two? Not looking to spend a ton, just a decent $100 per night motel with clean sheets , running water and which wouldn't mind us having bikes in the room.
Are these areas very touristy? Can we expect lots of people in the area for long weekend? How about communication? It is very close to the U.S. border, can I expect to find English speaking workers at restaurants/hotels?

And lastly, any good maps/directions or trails maps to the areas?

We are basing our decision to go riding in this area off a few recommendations in this thread, the bike magazine article and a few other recommendations I found online. Also hoping to find authentic poutine and croissants in the area! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
My MTB season doesn't start for another month, so a couple of late answers to previous post.
English? - most people in the tourist trade can do.
Maps? - Vélo Québec

Hope you had a good time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey Robbbby,

here's some first hand experience with those places. I've never been to Coaticook yet, but I've heard that the trails are a bit more rutted and technical. If you like that, they're apparently fun trails when it's dry. There are a few restaurants in town, famous Coaticook ice cream and cheese kurd factory, and a few places to sleep. I usually bring a lunch and sleep at home so I can't comment on lodging and food.

East Hereford has a really nice trail system and I ride there 5-6 times per summer since it's close to where I live and the season's pass is only 35-40$. A day pass is 10$.First, make sure to bring food and water, because the town is so small that you won't find anywhere to even get water, unless you go ask a resident. There is a small convenience store in nearby St-Hermenegilde, and it's about a half hour drive from Coaticook. You'll probably drive thru them depending on where you come from. The closest accommodation is also going to be in Coaticook.

Their trail system is pretty diverse, ranging from fun and technically easy flow trails (La Bobine), to a bit more technical and rocky trails, to a double-diamond short DH trail that starts from the summit. The views are quite nice on the summit, and the only way to do the DH trail (la maîtrise) is to shuttle to the top. You won't find any big drops or dangerously hard trails, and there is a LOT of climbing. It seems that any way you ride the trails you have to climb most of the time. Be prepared, but that said, I really really enjoy the trails. Most of the trails stay dry after rainfalls, so you won't find much mud there.

If you're going to Bromont, the Sintra XC trails are really nice and fun, but short. You'll have seen everything after 2-3 hours in the saddle, but it makes for a fun short ride. Really enjoy that place too.

Victoriaville has a few trails and a magnificent dirt jump park, and is worth stopping if you're driving east to the Quebec city area. They are mostly beginner trails and you'll be done in 1-2 hours, but it's developing and the trails are fun.

It is really worth driving to the Quebec city area. Vallée Bras du Nord has the most awesome and scenic all-mountain trails in Quebec, Mont Ste-Anne has lots of technical miles of trails, and I've heard that Sentiers du moulin is a née spot for technical trails.

I don't see any trails open until late April-May because there is still a LOT of snow around here and it is still cold. Don't hesitate to PM me if you want more info. Cheers!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hulk252, I have ridden at le Chantecler a lot over the last 4 / 5 years. Nice network of trails designed mostly as x-country trails adjacent to the Chantecler ski hill. A lot of markers at most intersections. Tight and twisty for the most part but the latest trails that were developped over the last 2 years have been a lot more flowy and longer. It's a great place to ride but it can get crowded during the weekends. You might see families walking in the trails there so be careful and respectful. Here is a map of the trails:
http://pleinairsteadele.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Carte-velo-montagne-Chantecler.pdf

Have fun!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hulk252, I have ridden at le Chantecler a lot over the last 4 / 5 years. Nice network of trails designed mostly as x-country trails adjacent to the Chantecler ski hill. A lot of markers at most intersections. Tight and twisty for the most part but the latest trails that were developped over the last 2 years have been a lot more flowy and longer. It's a great place to ride but it can get crowded during the weekends. You might see families walking in the trails there so be careful and respectful. Here is a map of the trails:
http://pleinairsteadele.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Carte-velo-montagne-Chantecler.pdf

Have fun!
Thanks for the PDF, this looks great! Been looking for new stuff and had no idea this was available so close to MTL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a group/store/organization that offers mountain bike instruction in the Montreal area?

I have done a bit of road cycling, and would like to get started riding mountain bikes. I'm looking for everything from bike buying advice to actual riding techniques.

Many thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts

Have fun!
Thats great. Thanks. Since you have a lot of experience, where would YOU park your car and start your ride. That seems to be the hardest thing for me to figure out.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts