Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fly out tomorrow morning to Quebec. Zakarina has kindly offered to show me round sentiers du moulin on sunday.
I will probably do some more riding during the week if anyone from Quebec city is keen for a ride with a very poor french speaking australian. Send a PM.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Arriving in Montreal on Sept. 7, 2010-anyone want to ride?

I am travelling w/ my husband during this time but he's going to be working. We are staying in Montreal through the week and I have a car. I read the sticky but am hoping for a bit more info on trail recommendations. I also need to rent a bike and it sounds like I can only do that at Mont Ste-Anne. I'm interested in riding singletrack but see that there are various parks/areas to ride, but i didn't find any specific trail info. names of trails, which direction to ride, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone is free during this time and would be willing to show me around some trails, that'd be great. I just got back from a 2 wk. mountain bike trip to Idaho and am a decent rider.

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was in Sentiers du Moulin & Mont Ste-Anne a few weeks ago. I really liked Mont Ste-Anne, it's not only XC-skiing doubletrack trails, they have a couple of new twisty single track trails. One is called Moulin (not to confuse with Sentiers du Moulin) and another one Aret. There is even one more that is not on the map. These are technically challenging and there is lots of climbing, including the so called "Climb of Death", basically you go up half way and then finish with super fun mostly downhill. On top of that, there is the World Cup course, which is not properly marked, so it takes a while to figure it out, it is very hard! Lost of climbs and technical and scary drops, but it is worth a try. Mont Ste-Anne is highly recommended!

Sentiers du Moulin is also great, lots of rocks and tight single trail. It lacks a bit of climbing in my opinion, but it is very challenging and fun as it is.

Have fun!

·
Registered
36 Posts
bike rentals

thanks for the responses. i will plan to hit up the bike park one day. does anyone know of any other place to rent a bike as I hope to hit up another area to ride during the week.
thanks again for your help.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
AztecRider said:
I was in Sentiers du Moulin & Mont Ste-Anne a few weeks ago. I really liked Mont Ste-Anne, it's not only XC-skiing doubletrack trails, they have a couple of new twisty single track trails. One is called Moulin (not to confuse with Sentiers du Moulin) and another one Aret. There is even one more that is not on the map. These are technically challenging and there is lots of climbing, including the so called "Climb of Death", basically you go up half way and then finish with super fun mostly downhill. On top of that, there is the World Cup course, which is not properly marked, so it takes a while to figure it out, it is very hard! Lost of climbs and technical and scary drops, but it is worth a try. Mont Ste-Anne is highly recommended!
Things have improved at Mont Sainte-Anne this year. They have hired a trail crew to help thing back up... and with the World Championships coming in the next couple weeks, they really needed the boost!

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Last fall the operator of Mont Sainte Anne sent out a questionnaire to those that stayed there during the summer. Trail conditions and trail upkeep were two of the things I mentioned because it had been so wet last summer and the trails were in rough condition, there were some real drainage problems that needed to be fixed up. Good to know they have done some work on the trails.

·
Registered
30 Posts
BigJay said:
Things have improved at Mont Sainte-Anne this year. They have hired a trail crew to help thing back up... and with the World Championships coming in the next couple weeks, they really needed the boost!

I just came back from watchin the World Championships in MSA, it was great! I also did some more riding and I rode some new trails that are awesome:

Zapa: is short but very technical and flowy.
Raccourci: Not so technical, but lots of fun twsyty sinlge track with small rock gardens.
Rapide: As it name implies is a mostly downhill very fast trail.

All those trails branch out of the main older trails. Hopefully they keep building these kind of of trails in MSA.

I also went to Vallee Brass du Nord and it is great!!! It is a network of about 16 Km in a remote but beautiful location. Probably the most beautiful woods where I have mountain biked. And the trails are amazing, specially the further ones. If you go there don't miss:
Descente Aux Enfers
Chute a Gilles
Tomahawk

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
AztecRider said:
I also went to Vallee Brass du Nord and it is great!!! It is a network of about 16 Km in a remote but beautiful location. Probably the most beautiful woods where I have mountain biked. And the trails are amazing, specially the further ones. If you go there don't miss:
Descente Aux Enfers
Chute a Gilles
Tomahawk
Vallée Bras-du-Nord is quite a trail system! Glad you like it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
BigJay said:
Vallée Bras-du-Nord is quite a trail system! Glad you like it!

It was great. Thanks for the tip BigJay.

Next year I'll go again and I'll also try St-Felicien. Have you been there? How does it compare to Vallee Bras-du-Nord? Thanks :thumbsup:

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
St.Felicien is quite enjoyable, they have the best trail marking system I've ever seen, it is very easy to figure out where you are, lots of identified trail intersections on the map. A good range of trails. And of course they had a World Cup as well as a National Championship.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
AztecRider said:
It was great. Thanks for the tip BigJay.

Next year I'll go again and I'll also try St-Felicien. Have you been there? How does it compare to Vallee Bras-du-Nord? Thanks :thumbsup:
St-Felicien use to be one of my favorite area in Quebec. I haven't been in two years now... i sort of miss it... but according to a couple friends that went on labor day weekend, the trails lack a bit of TLC... It could be due to the exceptionnal summer we've had... things are so dry that everything is getting more rooty...

As i mentionned in the first post, check out www.AllezY.net/rep_sentiers

Look at the map, check out the ratings... And ask around... it's pretty easy to navigate and even tough it's in french, you'll get most of it... lots of pretty pictures and maps to navigate...

Oh, if you're in St-Felicien for a couple days, check out "Sentiers Panoramique" in Chicoutimi (Saguenay). That place is techy and rocky fun! Built and maintained by the local bike club w/ employees from the town... pretty awsome, pretty unique!

When we travel out there, we generally make it out 2 days in St-Felicien and one day in Chicoutimi... makes for an awsome 3-day weekend!

·
Registered
167 Posts
St-Felicien use to be one of my favorite area in Quebec. I haven't been in two years now... i sort of miss it... but according to a couple friends that went on labor day weekend, the trails lack a bit of TLC... It could be due to the exceptionnal summer we've had... things are so dry that everything is getting more rooty...

As i mentionned in the first post, check out AllezY - Répertoire des sentiers

Look at the map, check out the ratings... And ask around... it's pretty easy to navigate and even tough it's in french, you'll get most of it... lots of pretty pictures and maps to navigate...

Oh, if you're in St-Felicien for a couple days, check out "Sentiers Panoramique" in Chicoutimi (Saguenay). That place is techy and rocky fun! Built and maintained by the local bike club w/ employees from the town... pretty awsome, pretty unique!

When we travel out there, we generally make it out 2 days in St-Felicien and one day in Chicoutimi... makes for an awsome 3-day weekend!
I'm a proud rider of the "Panoramique" ;) There is some really crazy stuff in there lol. I went at St-Fe twice this year, it's a fine place too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bike mag "article" on Coaticook & East Heresford;
bikemag.com/gallery/the-birthplace-of-quebec-mountain-biking/

·
Registered
9 Posts
going to Granby...Bromont...

Hello/Bonjour,

Me and my 3 boys are camping close to Ski Bromont and we're looking for some help to locate some other places to trail ride, other than the Bromont bike park. Yes we are riding the park, but I'd like to also ride some nice cross country trails in the area...

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hello/Bonjour,

Me and my 3 boys are camping close to Ski Bromont and we're looking for some help to locate some other places to trail ride, other than the Bromont bike park. Yes we are riding the park, but I'd like to also ride some nice cross country trails in the area...

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
There is some riding around the mountain but SkiBromont closed off all of their XC trails this summer.

Good thing: Les Amis des Sentiers de Bromont (Friends of the Bromont Trails) have trails to offer around the small town: LES AMIS DES SENTIERS DE BROMONT

If you don't mind the 2h drive to East Hereford, it's really THE place for trails of outstanding quality!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
New to the area

Hello all. I'm currently a long term visitor to the Repentigny area and learning french. I hail from Baltimore, Maryland, where I was surrounded by free trails all over the place. I can't seem to find any free trails around here where you just ride through the woods. Since I can't speak french (yet),many of the above websites are no help. Any ideas where I can start wandering?

21 - 40 of 80 Posts