Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I graduate this June, I am packing up my Subaru and throwing the bikes on the top and driving out of Coeur D Alene, Idaho and heading down to spend a month hanging out before The Downieville Classic this year..

I will be staying with a few different family members, some in Oroville, some in Brownsville, and some in Loma Rica. I already have a riding buddy that knows some stuff as far as rides, but I wanted to hear from everyone where the goods are at..

I am going to be riding Dville like crazy to prepair for the race, but I know there is tons other killer rides up there. I want to know what rides there are all around? If I could avoid driving the hour to Downieville every time I want to ride, that would be awesome if there was stuff that you could just rip in an afternoon. I will have my DJ Ht and my AM Bike, but I am not picky as far as riding goes..

So any close rides that are worth mentioning?
And what about any shuttle/ Freeride/ gravity stuff short of D-ville or N*?
Pumptracks or DJs anywhere? (I understand no dig, No ride and keeping stuff low key, I will put my time in..)
What about just some Guys that do group rides together? Night rides? (I will bring my Night rider)

Hell If you guys make enough noise About it, I will bring my 6 foot tall Unicycle and put on a show for you to gain acceptance/ Info on rides..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You will have many opportunities for group rides if you post closer to your arrival date, although keep in mind the higher trails in Downieville had snow through June last year; lower trails should be rideable in any event. Do a search for Downieville gathering for an enormous group ride opportunity. Date is not set that I am aware of, but it's usually right before the race. Finally, since you enjoy jumping, you definately don't want miss northstar.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am aware of the snow in the upper Dville area.. Even the week of the classic last year, they had to shovel part of the course due to snow.. but maybe it will be better this year..

And I already know about N* I plan on doing that once.

And I will indeed post closer to the actual dates. I am just kinda getting my feelers out there on what to ride and if there are any groups of guys here on MTBR that ride in the area often..

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Mr Toad's, South Lake Tahoe. Awesome all mountain riding. Popular and easy to find.

·
ReeFride
66 Posts
If you're in truckee area hitting N*, try the Martis Peak area...its across the hwy from N*....you'll need to get some local intel from a bike shop or human. Dirty Harry's or Pinworm....

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
between auburn / chico / truckee / n* / dville trails, you'll be set all month.

Better bring a 2nd grin though. First one might start to hurt after your first week.

·
Registered
414 Posts
http://foresttrailsalliance.org/?page=trails

Forest City is close to Downieville (at altitude) and we have a fine network of xc trails and fun flowy features.

In addition to what others have already mentioned, Tahoe Rim Trail and connecting trails (some mapped, some local knowledge) and Donner Lake Rim Trail to connect up with Hole In The Ground if you've got it in your legs.

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
swan3609 said:
I am aware of the snow in the upper Dville area.. .. but maybe it will be better this year..
As of now there's more snow than last year. It will depend on the temps in May and early June. You should have a plan in case there's too much snow there.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will hit N* once while I am down there.. And since I will more then likely at families houses between Oregon House and Browns valley, It looks like Bullards will be a good spot to do some quick late afternoon rides. At this point I am more interested in more Local rides that would be less then 45 mins away.. I am really wishing that the North Yuba Trail connected all the way from D-ville to Bullards as that would be an epic ride not far from my families house...

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
swan3609 said:
I will hit N* once while I am down there.. And since I will more then likely at families houses between Oregon House and Browns valley, It looks like Bullards will be a good spot to do some quick late afternoon rides. At this point I am more interested in more Local rides that would be less then 45 mins away.. I am really wishing that the North Yuba Trail connected all the way from D-ville to Bullards as that would be an epic ride not far from my families house...
If you're in Oregon House/Brown's Valley area there's all the South Yuba and Pioneer stuff and then also the Auburn area which would be right at the edge of your 45min window (maybe a little outside).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If you're staying in Oroville, you'll have plenty of groomed trails there. One of my favorites is the Potters Ravine/North Fork out and back. It's about 18 miles round trip, and is mostly smooth and 3-4ft wide. You can ride all the way out to Bloomer Point primitive campground, and then on the way back head up Potter's and hit Dead Cow, which is a fun, fast downhill.

Potters to North Fork from the Dam: http://goo.gl/maps/nGOQ

Another great ride is from the Diversion Pool on the way up to Table Mountain, and you ride up to the dam and back down. Lots of singletrack, cow trails, some steep climbs to get to the top. But once you get there it's just a killer downhill ride...definitely an awesome loop and one of my favorites around Oroville.

Diversion Pool to Dam: http://goo.gl/maps/sRbW

At Oroville, there are also some nice smooth and fast trails on the South side of the dam. If you park at the restrooms before crossing the dam, you just keep going on a dirt road and you'll hit the trails. Those trails extend some 7-8 miles around to the Bidwell Marina, and keep going out to Loafer Creek recreation area.

Ok, now on to Chico, which you absolutely must hit at least 3 times. One thing that is unique about Chico is that it's ROCKY. You're riding on old lava flow most of the time, which means the trails are rough and there is very little smooth riding. Where Oroville would be perfectly fine to ride on a fully rigid bike, Upper Park in Chico begs to be ridden on a 5"+ trail bike. It all depends on the rider, and there are a few trails to choose from, but in general it's rough and technical.

1. North Rim to B Trail: This is a good sustained rocky climb up the North side of the park. It starts at "Easter Cross" parking lot and terminates at the top of B Trail. B trail is a really fun downhill run with some great technical features that will keep you coming back until you clean it. Once at the bottom you can take Middle Trail for more single track goodness, or hit the gravel Park Road back down to where you started. http://goo.gl/maps/QXTs

2. Guardian's Shuttle. Get a ride up highway 32 to "Green Gate", which is the nickname for the 10 Mile House road gate on the north side of the highway. The trail heads quickly downhill on some steep double track (watch the rollers), and you take the first left onto Guardian's Trail. This is the site of the Super D downhill portion of the Bidwell Bump race. Killer downhill, technical features, jumps, etc...it's all good stuff.

3. Up South Rim, Down Guardian's: For a longer ride and a better workout, take South Rim/Annie Bidwell from the trail head on Chico Canyon Road. It runs about 100-200 feet below Guardian's and is in general a smoother and flatter trail. Climb about 5 miles up to the 4WD double track (10 Mile House Road) and head uphill. You'll come to the turnoff for Guardian's trail, which will lead you back downhill. If you want to earn your downhill or have a couple hours to ride, this is an awesome loop.

4. Ride the Bidwell Bump XC race course! Up North Rim, down B-Trail to the park road, up the park road, cross the creek, up 10 Mile House, and then down Guardian's. Superhumans can do this in under two hours. Mere mortals might want to have a quick snack at the creek crossing before destroying themselves on the uphill grind. This is THE summertime epic Bidwell Park ride.

Trail Map: http://www.bidwellpark.org/page/_files/UpperLowerParkMap.pdf

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for all the Info.. those are the kinda rides I am looking for.. I will be in oregon house and browsville mostly, but I do have other family in Oroville that I can go stay with too so having these trails that are quick and easy to drive to are awesome..

As far as My favorite types of riding, I will have a Dirt jump hard tail and I will have my Yeti ASR-7.. So my "do it all bike" Is a 7 inch travel All mountain bike.. I am also very competitive Dh racer and I ride my AM bike just as hard as my DH bike. My perfect ride is a hammer fest on the way up for some training and then a flowy trail on the way down that has some natural or man made features for catching air, and I Love technical stuff too, the rocky and gnarlier, the better for me..

But I also understand that asking for this within close distance from where I am staying is a stretch.. I also can do a more standard XC ride where its not as technical and you are not just climbing up and then bombing down.. I am happy just being on my bike..

thanks for your help and I will be updating closer to the trip to try and get some rides hooked up with the locals..

·
Sweater
1,949 Posts
swan3609 said:
Thanks guys for all the Info.. those are the kinda rides I am looking for.. I will be in oregon house and browsville mostly, but I do have other family in Oroville that I can go stay with too so having these trails that are quick and easy to drive to are awesome..

As far as My favorite types of riding, I will have a Dirt jump hard tail and I will have my Yeti ASR-7.. So my "do it all bike" Is a 7 inch travel All mountain bike.. I am also very competitive Dh racer and I ride my AM bike just as hard as my DH bike. My perfect ride is a hammer fest on the way up for some training and then a flowy trail on the way down that has some natural or man made features for catching air, and I Love technical stuff too, the rocky and gnarlier, the better for me..

But I also understand that asking for this within close distance from where I am staying is a stretch.. I also can do a more standard XC ride where its not as technical and you are not just climbing up and then bombing down.. I am happy just being on my bike..

thanks for your help and I will be updating closer to the trip to try and get some rides hooked up with the locals..
Sounds like you'd really like auburn. On the far end of your driving requirements, but its all in a river canyon so its 1000' down, back up, back down, back up.....or the inverse of that if park at the bottom. They've recently done some "trailwork" up there so there aren't quite as many man-made features as there was last year, but still a good ride.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buzzaro said:
Sounds like you'd really like auburn. On the far end of your driving requirements, but its all in a river canyon so its 1000' down, back up, back down, back up.....or the inverse of that if park at the bottom. They've recently done some "trailwork" up there so there aren't quite as many man-made features as there was last year, but still a good ride.
Auburn looks sick.. Just about what I love to ride most.. Sucks about all the fun stuff getting torn down. I love a good bit of air time on the way down, Looks like there are some big features there that would have been really fun to ride.. I will defiantly make sure to check it out..

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
swan3609 said:
Auburn looks sick.. Just about what I love to ride most.. Sucks about all the fun stuff getting torn down. I love a good bit of air time on the way down, Looks like there are some big features there that would have been really fun to ride.. I will defiantly make sure to check it out..
You should put off your trip for a month and hit whistler instead of Nor Cal.

·
Member of The Yeti Tribe
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fast Eddy said:
You should put off your trip for a month and hit whistler instead of Nor Cal.
I am racing in the Downieville Classic, so this trip is wrapped around the Classic.. and a month later I am going to be going to be starting college.. so that wont work..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts