Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an opportunity to take a job with the BLM in Monte Vista, CO, what is this place like, the surrounding area's, etc. Looks like it's off the beaten path quiet aways. Closest DH riding? Closest snowboard area? Chics? etc... It's a govt. job with benifits and retirement, sounds nice because of that and the fact its with the BLM Bureau of Land Management. Insider trail spots and hunting locations are a perk ;)

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
O~Hi~O said:
So I got an opportunity to take a job with the BLM in Monte Vista, CO, what is this place like, the surrounding area's, etc. Looks like it's off the beaten path quiet aways. Closest DH riding? Closest snowboard area? Chics? etc... It's a govt. job with benifits and retirement, sounds nice because of that and the fact its with the BLM Bureau of Land Management. Insider trail spots and hunting locations are a perk ;)
Not too far from http://www.wolfcreekski.com/ - nice little ski resort. I imagine for dh you'd need to head towards Durango... Use to be a race in Del Norte, may still have one over there.

Drove through Monte Vista this winter, not much to report. Typical small town with a Walmart from what we could tell. It's in the middle of a big flat dry plain.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
It's a small town.
It's cheap.
It's close to Wolf Creek (most snow in Colorado)

There is a ton of cycling within an hour of Monte Vista. The whole Salida area is apparently huge with trails.

The town itself isn't much to speak of. Kinda dumpy dirty wide spot in the road. Flat plain like Debaser said. But you're close to a lot of prime country.

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Do you climb? The Penitentes are just up Hwy285 from Monte Vista, and you're just over 2 hours from Crested Butte.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
some thoughts

Wolf Creek is awesome for skiing, riding. Incredible snow. Alamosa must have some riding, they used to do a race down there. You are closer to Salida which has good riding & whitewater. You are close to very good flyfishing in all directions. I'm from Boulder, not familiar with Monte Vista specifically but there hasgot to be very good riding right around there, plus you are close to lots of riding in CO & NM. You are also close to world class green chile.

Get a place with some extra room & I'll be crashing there.

As far as companionship with the opposite sex, I would guess the opportunities do exist but the population down there is pretty small. There is a college in Alamosa.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Then there is New Mexico.... Angel Fire....Taos....climbing and biking down there. San Louis Valley is great... Sand Dunes...four wheeling....14'ers...camping... If your a city person, then it's not for you. If your into quite, open space, low key.....wallmart... then do it.

·
Registered
18,549 Posts
O~Hi~O said:
Boo...nies. BF Egypt. But it is Colorado.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I figured it is in the boonies but it's also in a valley of huge peaks in all directions. I wouldn't be making much, maybe $30k to start, but it's with the BLM which is federal which means I could potentially live there the rest of my life... I'm single though, and here in OH I have lots of selections for companionship, but no where to ride within an hour that's decent. All my family is here too, so I'd be moving to somewhere uknown, which is nothing new, but I just moved here from Seattle and I'm starting to get acquanted...

Colorado would be sooooo choice though, is there anything within 40 min to commute from? I've been through colorado before, loved it, but I was up on the I70 coridor and then ventured into boulder, and all the ski resorts off of I70 including steamboat springs.

I'm def. not a city guy, I love small towns, but I grew up in Bozeman so I like that small college town that's up on today's world but surrounded by God's blessings.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got a phone call to get the details and well it looks OK but not what I'm really looking to do to just up and move again...

It's a temporary position NTE 1 year. He said that if I did do good, that I could possibly get the full time position that they are working on creating but for now it's through October. Which would be epic for doing it just for the biking season but if I stay here I can save more money and start my schooling back up in August. I'd be missing out on riding, and a nice laid back atmosphere but I think for now getting my school stuff over with and finding a place, and a good job here would be in my best interest. After all I'm making $10 an hour at a bike shop with a garanteed 40 hours + 5 to 10 in over time, where as this job would be $13.21 an hour with a solid 40 hours. If I figure in the difference in pay, it basically pays my rent out there where as here I'm leaching off my family for the first time since I left 10 years ago...

If only the position was permanent and paid more, I might consider it. If any of you have administrative skills, and want the job, let me know and I'll see if he would be willing to consider ya. But I think I'm going to grin and bear it here until I'm done with schooling so I can move out west somewhere ideal for good.

Thanks for the info though!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.