Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be working in Monte Vista for about 18 months and I'm trying to hunt down information on rides. Any rides. Good, bad, long, short, paved roads, trails, dirt roads, whatever. I've ridden a few times near Del Norte, but it was 15 years ago when the CORPS race was there. I don't even remember the names of the areas that we rode. Any local help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't know how it would be, but if I was out there, I would explore Travis' Trail area. There is mostly double track out there, but might be some single track and it would be a great place to build a trail. If you were into the freeride scene, there is a ton of material out there. Head South from the rifle range between Monta Vista and Del Norte.

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
timroz said:
I'm gonna be working in Monte Vista for about 18 months and I'm trying to hunt down information on rides. Any rides. Good, bad, long, short, paved roads, trails, dirt roads, whatever. I've ridden a few times near Del Norte, but it was 15 years ago when the CORPS race was there. I don't even remember the names of the areas that we rode. Any local help would be much appreciated.
Wow--are Roz and the kids coming with?

CDT off of Conejos (or Cumbres?) Pass is worth checking into, and there's a heap of gorgeous country up toward Platoro and beyond. I've only ridden the craptastic gravel road through there, but the scenery was among the best I've seen in CO. Big, big hills down thataway. Also noticed a few trailheads along the road that looked promising--probably out-and-backs to the Wilderness Boundary to the south of the road, . None of this is exactly close to MV or DN, but if I were living down that way I'd jump at the chance to check 'em out.

Open up Topofusion and find Platoro, Stunner Campground, Summitville, and Jasper, and you're in the neighborhood.

And if RockyRode doesn't check in here soon, use the PM function to contact him. Lives in DN, rides bunches, would love to help you out with beta and/or go exploring with ya.

When do you leave?

MC

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking there might need to be a North Park / South Park forum. It's not west slope, but it's way more not front range.

I will opine that the people of MV would fit in better in Delta than in Boulder.

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
You've got lots of options!

Last Summer, I hit Penitente Canyon while passing through. It was short but way fun--well worth a stop. If you like techy stuff, you could kill a whole day there just sessioning rock features Since then, I have added some "must do's" from the area to my wish list.

Check the link below. Deep Creek and Middle Frisco loop particularly good:
http://www.southforktrails.com/

From Del Norte, you're not far from Pagosa Springs--see link
http://www.pagosatrails.net/

The Cat Creek trail looks nice (written up in the Mountain Bike America: Colorado guidebook)

You're also within striking distance of Taos (South Boundary, Devisadaro, etc).

As previosly noted, it's an easy jaunt up to Salida. Pretty much year round riding and in late summer, the Monarch Crest is not to be missed!

There's a whole mess of other potential routes. Get the FS maps of the area. Also check out Trails Illustrated 139, La Garita Cochetopa Hills and 142 Pagosa Springs.

Have fun--I know I would!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice find on the South Fork Trails site. Yeah Cat Creek has always perked my interest. Check rides 31 and 30 (Trout Creek and Wheeler) in the Cat Creek Link too.

·
singletrack junkie
143 Posts
Stop by Alamosa Cycles and pick up "Colorado's San Luis Valley Mountain Bike Guide". It's a thin little 28 page paperback, listing 13 rides from the area, for a whopping $2.50.

It has descriptions for Cat Creek, the Cumbres-Toltec Loop, Sawlog, and my personal favorite from the Del Norte area - Limekiln.

The Limekiln area is found off highway 160 halfway between Del Norte and Monte Vista. Turn south onto county road 5W/BLM road 5120, drive a little way and pick a parking spot. Most of the riding in this area is old-rough 4WD roads, but there are some rehabilitated road/trails and a few hidden singletrack gems.

According to Del Norte's Chamber website (http://www.delnortechamber.org/attractions details.htm) they now have a trail system to the summit of "Lookout Mountain" and connecting to BLM lands to the south.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
193 Posts
timroz said:
Hi Timroz- I'm in Del Norte, I know this area really well. I'm also the trails manager for Del Norte Trails Org. delnortetrails.org We have GPX files for most all of the rides that don't trespass and used recognized routes on the Yahoo group SLV Cyling. You'll have to subscribe to access the files. They're also in Google Earth format.

There's a lifetime of exploring here. If you like solitude, incredible scenery and a surprising variety of terrain along with lightly used routes and technical trails you'll be in heaven here. If you like buff singletrack and defined routes you won't be impressed.

My email is gcblakley at gmail dot com I'd be glad to have you join me/us and show you around. There's a small but serious MTB community here.

Gary

·
singletrack junkie
143 Posts
The master plan on your website is awesome. I hope you can do all that for Del Norte. You should think about trying to put a whitewater feature or two in the riverwalk area. That would really add to the allure of Del Norte as a recreation destination...I've heard you guys have a pretty sweet disc golf course too.

Sounds like the perfect sports tri-fecta: mountain biking, kayaking, and disc golf! (not to mention the climbing)

·
Registered
193 Posts
lwmyers said:
The master plan on your website is awesome. I hope you can do all that for Del Norte. You should think about trying to put a whitewater feature or two in the riverwalk area. That would really add to the allure of Del Norte as a recreation destination...I've heard you guys have a pretty sweet disc golf course too.

Sounds like the perfect sports tri-fecta: mountain biking, kayaking, and disc golf! (not to mention the climbing)
Thanks for the comments. We've been awarded a $140,000 grant for our local trail system so we'll be doing a lot of work on it this summer. The bulk of the funding will go to a wheel chair trail from town to the hospital and a big parking area on the west side. We'll also sign trails and trail heads. There's only about 3 miles of town trails so far. We're working on a grant to buy more land that will allow us to connect with BLM land to the siouth and we've mapped and proposed trails to BLM south of town. This is all really long term stuff, it will take years. We have talked about a water park. Right now it's a matter of finding a volunteer wanting to take it on. I don't know anything about the disc golf though.

Are you Kevin? If so I see you subscribed to the Yahoo SLV Cycling list (I'm a moderator). Where are you? Get in touch if you wanna get together for some rides. Our lower elevation stuff is just opening up now. Penitente should be good in a week or two if this weather keeps up. BTW, there are tons of unofficial routes out there.

·
singletrack junkie
143 Posts
Sorry, no Kevin here. My name is Logan Myers and I live up in Buena Vista. I have spent a little time exploring in both the Limekiln and Penitente areas before...

It sounds like you doing good work, keep it up. These things defintely take time. You should also think about applying for a GOCO (great outdoors Colorado) grant.

As far as river park and white water feature design there is no-one better to speak with then Recreation Engineering and Planning's (REP) Mike Harvey, http://www.boaterparks.com/design_team_harvey.html.

The disc golf course is out halfway between Del Norte and Monte Vista, at the Rio Grande River Retreat, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3298

·
Registered
545 Posts
Monte Vista Native here. When you Coming to town? We have tons of stuff to ride all of the desert stuff is good right now if Weather stays dry. This is wind season so expect 25 to 40 mph wind till mid May. Stop by The Ford Store in Monte if you want I can get you started on a few things.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.