Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I live on Maui and I am thinking about attending Montana State University at Bozeman. I was wondering if there is good riding during the summer and if any of you are students there and like to ride? I would classify myself as the Freeride type of rider. pics would help to.
Thanks

·
jones'in
917 Posts
Hey there,
I'm not a student (any more), but I ride quite a bit in the summers. There's a *lot* of great riding around Bozeman. Most of it is what I would classify as heavy XC, but there are heavy AM/FR options around. A group of us last summer (including some MSU students) rode regularly and our rides were pretty aggressive AM...fast, flowy singletrack. Big Sky resort is relatively close by (about an hour's drive) and has great FR and DH riding. We made a couple of trips down there last summer too.

What I'm trying to say is that there is a lot of variety of riding around here. I doubt you'd be disappointed. As for pictures....we're usually having too much fun to stop and take 'em. But my wife bought me a helmet camera in January so that I can document some riding without having to stop riding :D.

--Ben

·
Registered
253 Posts
There's a lot of really good riding around here, but not a whole lot for freeride. Big Sky's been setting up a few jump lines and drops, but we don't have any real freeride trails near town. There's a couple spots where people have attempted to make them, but noone's taken the time to build anything good.

There's a lot of reaaaallly good downhills if you're willing to push for them, though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
MSU is a good school with a great town. there is the MSU cycling team but they are mainly roadies. i go to school there a ride quite a bit. i don't really freeride but i have a lot of friends that do. the freeride seen is pretty small but there are some great riders here in bozeman and super nice people. there are some hidden freeride trails around if you meet the right people to take you. I love the riding around here but i ride a rigid SS so my style is probably quite different than yours. another good school to look at if you want to ride a lot is fort lewis in durango. that place has some sick riding!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Bozeman is very outdoorsy. seems to me that Bozeman is full of freeride/big bike riders. It seems to me that there is a healthy MTB scene, but the core of the town is the ski crowd.

·
Registered
82 Posts
???

Old Man Riding said:
Your headed there.
i thought you could not beat boise and if i were to leave i would end up coming back because we have it set up so great?

·
Registered
660 Posts
The biggest problem with Bozeman is the weather. In another thread I surmised Bozeman as having 9 months of winter, 2 months of mud and one month of awesome, dry, singletrack.

I think that's why most of the cyclists around here are roadies.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Cypress said:
The biggest problem with Bozeman is the weather. In another thread I surmised Bozeman as having 9 months of winter, 2 months of mud and one month of awesome, dry, singletrack.

I think there are tons of mountain bikers in Bozeman, especially of the freeride/lift assisted flavor. There is a strong XC crowd and the biggest state race of the year is the Bohart Bash. Gallatin Alpine Sports (GAS) has a big road and XC MTB showing at races.

·
Registered
660 Posts
ewarnerusa said:
I think there are tons of mountain bikers in Bozeman, especially of the freeride/lift assisted flavor. There is a strong XC crowd and the biggest state race of the year is the Bohart Bash. Gallatin Alpine Sports (GAS) has a big road and XC MTB showing at races.

There are tons of MTB'ers. There are even more roadies.

The GAS team is the biggest in the state, but nobody seems to like them due to their "high nose" attitude. We have a good venue for the Bash because of the XC park it takes place at. Big wide trails, and it's relatively close proximity to Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah, make it easy for the rest of the northwest to join in the fun.

Ever notice that almost nobody from Bozeman wins races? We are one of the coldest towns in the state that people actually live in.

·
HotHB
403 Posts
The scene is pretty good. Like others have said, a lot of roadies that ride XC too and seem to have sticks up their butt, but its not hard to ignore them...you will pass them on the way down :)

And honestly I prefer muddy single track over dusty dry no grip trails. Best months of riding around here in my opinion are May, and September - early November.

·
HotHB
403 Posts
That ridge ride is pretty nuts. I gotta do that this summer. How do you get up there at fairy lake? Up the shafthouse trail, then around the other direction back to bozo?

·
jones'in
917 Posts
MikeyMT said:
That ridge ride is pretty nuts. I gotta do that this summer. How do you get up there at fairy lake? Up the shafthouse trail, then around the other direction back to bozo?
Not really sure. I'll have to look at my topo map to see what the best route up to the ridge is from Fairy Lake. Maybe the original thread author can comment (if he's lurking)?

--Ben

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Cypress said:
I hear there is a dirt road followed by a wide hikers trail to fairy lake. Where you go from there... I dunno.
I think you climb the ridge on the normal hiking trail up to Sacajawea, passing by the lake altogether. There are no other actual trails in that area that gain the ridge unless you accessed it from the west side of the range. Maybe farther north at Flathead Pass...

I have to take exception to some of what you wrote earlier. I'd say Bozy has a solid 3 months where the trails are in good shape. If you're willing to drive west to the drier places you could ride almost year 'round although some of the lower drier trails aren't that exciting. And besides, that's ski/board season

While I don't follow the scene much, I think Bozeman riders do a decent job in the races. The GAS team seems to do well on the road and I know a couple of those guys race mtb too.

·
Registered
660 Posts
dir-T said:
I have to take exception to some of what you wrote earlier. I'd say Bozy has a solid 3 months where the trails are in good shape. If you're willing to drive west to the drier places you could ride almost year 'round although some of the lower drier trails aren't that exciting. And besides, that's ski/board season

While I don't follow the scene much, I think Bozeman riders do a decent job in the races. The GAS team seems to do well on the road and I know a couple of those guys race mtb too.

I don't ski or snowboard...maybe that makes it feel longer. Once I get a bike with suspension, I'll start hitting Pipestone as often as is allowed, and that'll comb my beard until the real trails open up. I hate driving 45-50 minutes one way to find out that the trails got snow and are unrideable.

The GAS team does well in the road races because of the sheer size of their team. Remove the GAS riders at any given race and the field shrinks by 40%. I know a lot of GAS guys that race cat2 on the road but are still racing expert class and doing well based completely on fitness and not technique. (a cat2 roadie racing expert strikes me as sandbagging regardless of technique ;) ).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
try to be a soil scientist

Cypress said:

If bike riders take the time to study the soils in different places, they can avoid at least some of the mud. Taylor Fork area is impossible when wet. Go to the Gallatins, where it gets better the higher you go. Spanish Creek to Ennis Lake is a great epic with a sandy sort of soil the whole way. Go north to Mt. Edith, where you can ride in a downpour, and have zero mud.

The Bridgers can get nasty too, even on the ridge, because the limestone gets snotty when wet. Bridger rides require a box of bandaids, and some caution. I hope to do at least the short version of the ridge ride someday. Beware, Parker is in a different league than most of us.:D His pics rock!

·
jones'in
917 Posts
GregB406 said:
Beware, Parker is in a different league than most of us.:D His pics rock!
lol....I've kind of picked up on that from reading some of his posts. Luckily, I'm a glutton for punishment and blood doesn't scare me (too much). :D

--Ben

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
venom600 said:
lol....I've kind of picked up on that from reading some of his posts. Luckily, I'm a glutton for punishment and blood doesn't scare me (too much). :D

--Ben
you guys should try some warm-ups first. I recommend the loop around Ross Pk. in both directions. Plus the Bridger foothills trail. Then the short version of the ridge, accessed by the old motorcycle trail above Sypes. Finish off the warmups by riding Shafthouse the wrong direction. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts