Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed while i was out riding today that my 03 monster tops out with a pretty good clunk. At first i thought maybe headtube stack was loose, but it's definatly the fork topping out. Any thoughs? should i even be concerned?

·
Registered
80 Posts
?

If you are talking about when it extends(like on a jump take off) the reboung might be to fast (try 3.5) or you have the preload cranked down. If you are talking about when bottoming the oil is low. I would be concerned.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
low oil can cause both top out clunks (no oil in the top of the damper) and/or bottom out clunks (not enough air spring progression). Either way you should be checking the oil height out.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zedro said:
low oil can cause both top out clunks (no oil in the top of the damper) and/or bottom out clunks (not enough air spring progression). Either way you should be checking the oil height out.
Yeah, I have been a lazy bastard about maintenence lately. Our seasons so short i usually just want to get out and ride. It only clunks when i hit series of high speed bumps, so it sounds like the oil is low, but i'll also double check the rebound. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
One other thing to consider if all these suggestions don't work out. Send it back to Marzocchi and have it revalved. I had too. I was told by the Marz tech guy (Tracy the only one I trust) that some of the 03's were valved wrong. Long story short, had the same problems your describing, checked and tried all the basic tuning ideas mentioned here, didn't help, called Marz set up a time to have it fixed, took to a local race and had it revelved by Tracy (Big Ups to Tracy!!!) - bingo no more problems. Good luck and great choice on the Monster. ;)

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
red5 said:
One other thing to consider if all these suggestions don't work out. Send it back to Marzocchi and have it revalved. I had too. I was told by the Marz tech guy (Tracy the only one I trust) that some of the 03's were valved wrong. Long story short, had the same problems your describing, checked and tried all the basic tuning ideas mentioned here, didn't help, called Marz set up a time to have it fixed, took to a local race and had it revelved by Tracy (Big Ups to Tracy!!!) - bingo no more problems. Good luck and great choice on the Monster. ;)
So i opend the fork up this afternoon only to discover that it was around 4" low on oil according to the factory recommended fill levels. Not really my bad as i picked the fork up from someone and just haven't checked it out yet. After i filled it up though I took it for a ride and ramps up HARD after abou half it's travel. Is it just a matter of removing a little oil at a time now to get it dialed in how I want it?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
SocalSuperhero said:
After i filled it up though I took it for a ride and ramps up HARD after abou half it's travel. Is it just a matter of removing a little oil at a time now to get it dialed in how I want it?
yup, also note the 03 Monster has a compression damper adjustment for the bottom end of the stroke.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wish my Jr. T would ramp up like that. It's really soft, and the first 4" are great. After that, I think it should be putting on some serious brakes, but it don't. It keeps sliding all the way down easily if I do a 4' drop. I can't tell that there is much dampening at all. I have been told by a mechanic that no shock or fork really has dampening on a bike, that it just goes down, and the only adjustment is the rebound coming back up. Whether or not that's the case, I think it's BS. I am used to shocks for off-road vehicles, and am familiar with the idea that you want the shocks to turn the sharp hit into a pillow type of hit, not just let it jar as hard as possible on the compression then soften the extension on the way back. I have put an air adjuster in one side, but now the spring flops around like crazy since there is no preload, and also 10 weight oil was put in but it doesn't do much good. Marz told us not to put in more oil than they recommend since you're putting all the pressure of a hit on the seals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts