Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and couldn't find info on changing oil/checking height for an 03 monster. I am ordering a tech manual from bikeroom (thanks guys) but I think I need to check the level before then. I've taken it DH'ing twice and it is broken in and now feels way too springy.
I always did my own oil on my boxxer but the Monster caps don't come right off (this is my first marz) so i'm looking for the basics on loosening the right parts to check the level and add oil if needed.
Thanks for reading my novel.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
fathead said:
Did a search and couldn't find info on changing oil/checking height for an 03 monster. I am ordering a tech manual from bikeroom (thanks guys) but I think I need to check the level before then. I've taken it DH'ing twice and it is broken in and now feels way too springy.
I always did my own oil on my boxxer but the Monster caps don't come right off (this is my first marz) so i'm looking for the basics on loosening the right parts to check the level and add oil if needed.
Thanks for reading my novel.
The oil for the Monster T (03) should be:
Rider weight: 110-180 oil height set 4.75 from top
Rider weight: 180-200 oil height set 4.50 from top

Getting the caps off is easy to do, but hard to explain. When you unscrew the caps (they don't come off so don't try), push down the black plastic preload piece and spring till you can see beneath the caps. Now you should be able to see a red piece with flat sides on it. You hold this with a 10mm/adjustable wrench and use the large adj, wrench to unscrew the top caps. Once the caps are off you can take out the springs* and check the oil.

*I have always found it easier to remove the fork from the bike. Loosen the top caps first, then loosen all the crown bolts, remove the front brake, remove wheel and slide it out, leaving the crowns attached to the bike.

Good luck and be very careful. The rods that the red pieces attach too break easy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts