Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Salsa Fargo got me thinking.

If one wanted a cheap way to try drop bars in the dirt, the Motobecane Outcast might be a decent platform for conversion. You'd need a pair of Midge's (or something similar), some long pull drop levers, bar tape and a high rise stem. All together it shouldn't come in too far past $500.

Has anyone actually tried a Monsterized Outcast setup yet?

I'm thinking I may actually drop the cash and try it out. Worst case, I would hope that I could recoup most of my costs by selling the bike if it doesn't work out.

Feedback is welcome, I'd rather be informed of the pitfalls before I drop cash on a silly idea.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I've seen it done, only they used Cane Creek SCR-5 canti's and levers instead of the Tektro RL520/Cane Creek Drop V. It's okay. The short head tube really makes it hard for proper fit if your primary position is in the drops. If it's on the hoods it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be going for a primary position in the drops.

Anyone have advice on reasonably priced stems that might make up for the short head tube?

Universal Cycles shows a Delta, an Interloc and a Profile that appear to be fairly high rise. Does anyone have experience with these stems?

According to On-One, the Midge has a little over 100mm of drop, so it looks like some simple geometry might be able to tell me what angle and how long of a stem I would need.

Are there any problems with long steer tubes and high rise stems to worry about? (besides the fact that it will look kind of strange)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Try this set up-Finished this morning

On-One inbred (gen 1 29er, 18 inch. Actually need 19.5 so this set up feels really goo in this size)
One-One Midge Bars
Dia-Compe 287v levers
Hayes MX2 cable brakes

Upgrade still to do:
White stiched bar tape
Whits Selle Fylte saddle ( already got)
BB7 Brakes

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually already have an 18" Inbred 29er. I like the way it's set up now so much that I just can't quite bring myself to make any changes to it.

It does seem that another inbred might be a more appropriate choice for such a project, but it would also be a more expensive choice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This Post.....

The last post was to show layout with the bars and stem brakes etc.

I've seen some really cool KM's done this way. Another would be an olser Raliegh XXIX with the non sus corrected goemetry.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Like the Inbred demonstrates, sizing down is an option to get an equivalent reach with the drop bars.

Though of course you'll probably be on the hoods since sizing down will mean an even shorter head tube.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ozbikebuddy said:
The last post was to show layout with the bars and stem brakes etc.

I've seen some really cool KM's done this way. Another would be an olser Raliegh XXIX with the non sus corrected goemetry.
I've got plans to do exactly that, as soon as my new fork gets here next week. Haven't seen any examples on mtbr yet, but I'll post when mine is ready. I'll be using a Salsa stem and 287V's pulling the stock mtn BB5's.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You make a good point about sizing for the frame. I'll definitely need a high rise stem, no matter what size frame I choose. The pictures of that Inbred look great, but those drops still seem quite low.

I wish there was better geometry info on the BD site. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and I ride an 18" Inbred 29er with a 105mm stem. I'm thinking I would probably go with a 17" outcast, then look for a stem to fit after the bike is in. It looks like BBB makes another higher rise stem with a slightly different angle than the ones I linked before. Hopefully one of those would be able to make up for the short headtube.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I run drops on my Monocog. I went with a 15" instead of a 17" frame, but still needed a SHORT stem. I though 90mm would work initially, but have a 65mm on there now. Sorry the picture is bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It does appear that, even with the shorter stem, the drops are not too low.

The Monocog was another choice I was considering, especially for the price of the frameset. I'm thinking about a nexus-based rear wheel. If I'm replacing the wheelset, there is no real point in buying complete.

Which bars are you using on that Monocog?

·
Feel Good About Hood
217 Posts
c_m_shooter said:
I run drops on my Monocog. I went with a 15" instead of a 17" frame, but still needed a SHORT stem. I though 90mm would work initially, but have a 65mm on there now. Sorry the picture is bad.
Looks good, not too many spacers or super rise stem. Do you notice any issues (handling or otherwise) to down sizing? How about the seatpost?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I actually had planned to run drop bars, because I didn't like the bars higher than my my seat, I like them about 2 inches below seat height. The 29er that I had demo'd at a race last spring had the handlebars way too high. I am about 1 cm away from the min insertion mark on the stock 350mm seatpost. I really like the way the bike handles, it is as stable as my old Schwinn Klunker. I find it tough to manual with the long chain stays and wish I could get a setback seatpost for it. It rides great though except for that small detail, the few other people who have tried it loved the setup too, and were ready to start shopping for drop bars for their bikes.

·
3,707 Posts
FlintPaper said:
You make a good point about sizing for the frame. I'll definitely need a high rise stem, no matter what size frame I choose. The pictures of that Inbred look great, but those drops still seem quite low.

I wish there was better geometry info on the BD site. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and I ride an 18" Inbred 29er with a 105mm stem. I'm thinking I would probably go with a 17" outcast, then look for a stem to fit after the bike is in. It looks like BBB makes another higher rise stem with a slightly different angle than the ones I linked before. Hopefully one of those would be able to make up for the short headtube.
I'm 5' 11" with a 31" inseam and I am on the 17" Outcast. I put on a 400mm seatpost and it's almost maxxed out. I feel like I'm right on the borderline between the 17 and 19. I'd think you'd be leaning more towards the 19". Not 100% sure.

I've alway outfitted mine with a swept bar (not drop), but I did flip it, so it's swept down and back. :p

Kind of see it in this picture.

I'm going to switch out the stock stem with a 100mm variety.

Also, look on craigslist for used models. I got mine for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You might consider the Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno. 4130, cantis, fits 1.7's (probably bigger in the front), and has track ends. Oh, and its designed for drop bars. A pair of Cane Creek SCR-5 levers, a Gary bar, and tires should put your right about your $500 mark. Plus, its a monster cross bike, not a drop bar 29er :p

Seriously, I love mine. I have a MC29er and love it, as well. Someday I'll set it up with Midges and BB7's. Something for the more technical trails, something to wail on :thumbsup:

-Rob.

·
Registered
444 Posts
But with the Fantom Cross the OP will have to deal with toe overlap. Maybe not a deal breaker, but I've gone over the bars of my Cross Check enough times to know I don't like it.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
A non-suspension corrected bike like the Raleigh XXIX is a good starting point to come close to a Fargo. A size too small, if the seatpost allows, helps.
Add a longer rigid fork with more offset. Brings the front end up, slackens angles some, the latter will work well with the longer offset, as on the Fargo. BB will g up by 40% of the difference in the fork. The Fargo though, has the lowest of 29" BB's, as it's more for touring than for rooty singletrack.
But then, isn't a real Fargo like $650 for the frame set? How to beat that?
If I'm getting one, I'm still going with the longer fork and 55mm offset as on the smaller sizes, as I'll need the BB height. I want to ride the bike offroad as I ride my other bikes AND I want a super-tall front end with super normal looking stem.

BikeCad now allows to similate fork changes, try it, it's awesome when you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's starting to sound like I may be trying to do things the hard way.

I may have to try to find someone in PHX with a monster cross or drop-bar 29er (as the case may be) setup to see how the end result would work for me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
FlintPaper said:
It's starting to sound like I may be trying to do things the hard way.

I may have to try to find someone in PHX with a monster cross or drop-bar 29er (as the case may be) setup to see how the end result would work for me.
I live in Tucson. The fork for my Raleigh arrives today, at which point I'll monstercross it much as Cloxxi describes.

I'm 6' even, and going with a medium XXIX (600mm eff TT). The stock fork is 430mm, but I'm going with a 445mm fork to raise the front end a bit.

You are welcome to ride it if you're down here, plus I'll be in PHX for some of the Dust Devil races and cross races.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@justinb

Very nice. Thanks for the offer.

I'll be down in Tucson over Halloween weekend, and I seem to find myself down there every month or two anyway.

If you make it up here first (the dust devil series starts before Halloween, the 11th if I'm not mistaken) please PM me. It would be great to try out before buying.

What class are you going to be running the Dust Devil series in?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts