Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
oh Lucky me
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noob Question...

As an AZ Native, i am VERY aware of how brutal our Monsoon's can be. This is going to be my first season riding with the Monsoon's. I am just trying to get a concensus on what everyone does while riding during monsoon season. Do you say f#ck it im riding? Or is it more like, ill go hit it after the rain? What if your out and it starts pouring? Do you find a tree and hide or what???

Just checked the weather.com and June 26th they are expecting this High pressure to move out of the way for our Monsoon Season :thumbsup:

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,345 Posts
I ride and pray it does rain while I'm out to cool me off. My worst monsoon was when I had just stepped on to the lift at Sunrise and about 10 feet off the platform it started hailing and lasted through the whole ride up. Thank god for my full face!

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Mrweelz said:
Just ride....
Nice idea, but depending on where you live this idea could get you into some serious trouble. Hypothermia, windstorms, flashflooding, and violent electric storms that will get you into religion are far riskier in some places than others.

So what you said but tailored to your local conditions and what you define as acceptable risk.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,640 Posts
Exodus11 said:
Noob Question...

As an AZ Native, i am VERY aware of how brutal our Monsoon's can be. This is going to be my first season riding with the Monsoon's. I am just trying to get a concensus on what everyone does while riding during monsoon season. Do you say f#ck it im riding? Or is it more like, ill go hit it after the rain? What if your out and it starts pouring? Do you find a tree and hide or what???

Just checked the weather.com and June 26th they are expecting this High pressure to move out of the way for our Monsoon Season :thumbsup:
Once again, we have a monsoon season, we do not have "monsoons", a thunderstorm is a thunderstorm, and the monsoon is a seasonal change in the general wind/weather direction.

Now, I do not try to ride in thunderstorms, nor do I recommend riding in thunderstorms. I've been caught more than a few times and it is scary. It only takes as little as 15-30 minutes for them to go from zero to precip, and if you're in a heavy one consider the fact that you're on an aluminum bike, probably above surrounding elevation, often in a fairly clear area. In other words a perfect lightning rod. It can be ultra-scary when the lightning and thunder are at the exact same time, and when it starts hailing it is downright painfull. I try to plan my rides to be done by the time the thunderstorms start, or sometimes the entire thunderstorm development gets thrown out of whack and they don't build up until much later or even until the next day when it heats up again, and we also have drier periods during the monsoon season where they won't build up much. It is still possible to ride during monsoon season, but sometimes a little difficult to drive to flagstaff and ride because by 12am, it can be pouring like crazy.

At lower altitudes you guys have to worry more about flash flooding (due to storms in the mountains), but on the other hand it's more rare for the precipitation to actually reach the ground at those lower elevations as well, so while it might be raining somewhere else, it's less common for it to actually rain in the phoenix valley compared to up here in the higher country. You guys also have to worry about dust-storms. I've been in my share of dust-storms in the desert and those are not cool either.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,640 Posts
SunDog said:
I was unaware that aluminium is anything but a conductor. And as far as I know conductors do not attract lighting, as you stated things above the surrounding elevation may do such. So if lightning strikes close enough to conduct into your frame, my guess is that you would be toast anyways.

http://www.lightningtalks.com/lightningfacts.htm
Well, my main point wasn't that any one of those things would "cause" you to get struck by lightning, just your chances of getting hit by lightning in a thunderstorm with all of those criteria met are probably higher, not that any one is a sure-way to get hit, because they're not, and I wouldn't be alive right now if they were. :thumbsup:

BTW, Aluminum is a great conductor, it completes the circut in the power system within our aircraft. Alternator and battery are grounded to the airframe, and all the components are grounded to the airframe, the current goes into the ground, into the components, then back through the wires that connect to the battery and alternator from the other direction.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Hmmm?

Jayem said:
BTW, Aluminum is a great conductor, it completes the circut in the power system within our aircraft. Alternator and battery are grounded to the airframe, and all the components are grounded to the airframe, the current goes into the ground, into the components, then back through the wires that connect to the battery and alternator from the other direction.
Yeah, I knew that. Thats how technicians read wires end to end on an aircraft, by using it as the ground.

Lightning can be effin scary, it's so random. It's like being in an artillery barage, you give in to faith.

Ever been struck by it while in flight?

·
Registered
81 Posts
SunDog said:
Nice idea, but depending on where you live this idea could get you into some serious trouble. Hypothermia, windstorms, flashflooding, and violent electric storms that will get you into religion are far riskier in some places than others.

So what you said but tailored to your local conditions and what you define as acceptable risk.
--Meh, yeah you could consider all of that but why, just be prepared and ride, the storms here really only threaten flashflooding over any other place.

·
Registered
783 Posts
:D You mean we don't get any insulation from having rubber tires ? darn,
I was thinking maybe the rubber would help, as it does with cars.

Seriously though, our tundertorms are a real threat.
I have to pay attention to this as I usually ride in the aft.
Usually I try to look at where the development is and what direction theuy are
heading before I decide where to ride. When riding in SunDog's neck of the woods
in years past it can be tricky tp predict as the storms can roll over
Samaniego Ridged and be upon you with little warning.
I've been riding in the lower Catalinas mostly lately because of the heat, but I may need to change my times to more AM since that can be especially dangerous.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,640 Posts
SunDog said:
Yeah, I knew that. Thats how technicians read wires end to end on an aircraft, by using it as the ground.

Lightning can be effin scary, it's so random. It's like being in an artillery barage, you give in to faith.

Ever been struck by it while in flight?
Close, but not struck in flight. There were several times when we had to "get it on the ground" pretty fast, because of the thunderstorms and lightning in the area, also when I was ferrying one cross-country.

As bad as those encounters were, they have nothing on the time I was comming down Bill Williams Mtn in a bad bad thunderstorm and it was striking within a few hundred feet (it also struck real close to our house last year), I was scared shitless because it was raining HARD and lightning the whole way down, I think I just barely survived that one.

·
caninus xerophilous
1,741 Posts
Jayem said:
Close, but not struck in flight. There were several times when we had to "get it on the ground" pretty fast, because of the thunderstorms and lightning in the area, also when I was ferrying one cross-country.

As bad as those encounters were, they have nothing on the time I was comming down Bill Williams Mtn in a bad bad thunderstorm and it was striking within a few hundred feet (it also struck real close to our house last year), I was scared shitless because it was raining HARD and lightning the whole way down, I think I just barely survived that one.
I was a passenger in a medium turbo prop in Florida and we got stuck in a cell, the color weather display was all orange and red, and like a dumbass I had my seat belt off.

I forget what the phenomena is termed, but there was a mass pressure change and the plane plummeted several hundred feet with me pinned to the roof, followed shortly by a WWF body slam to the floor as we abruptly regained the lost altitude.

Last summer, desperate for a ride, I challenged a monsoon season afternoon T-storm and suffered the dreaded cloud burst, accompanied by a Biblical lightning storm and a very stiff wind, It started a distant dark cloud on Sammie, and then, it was on me, like the dark clouds in the Omen. Followed by flashflooding and fighting of hypothermia. Not sure if I pooped my pants, 'cause it would have been washed away in the deluge.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,640 Posts
SunDog said:
I forget what the phenomena is termed, but there was a mass pressure change and the plane plummeted several hundred feet with me pinned to the roof, followed shortly by a WWF body slam to the floor as we abruptly regained the lost altitude.
It's called huge F-ing updraft and downdraft, which is common in a thunderstorm. You can go up several thousand feet per minute, then the same in the opposite direction, with little or no aircraft control. If going through the thunderstorm doesn't rip the airplane apart (which can easily happen) then the occupants are in for a ride they won't soon forget.

Aircraft are supposed to stay 20NM away from any thunderstorms, but routinely this does not happen. Why? Because there's no one out there saying "oh, that blob of yellow and red is a thunderstorm", you get thunderstorms embedded in weather, or they simply figure that if the intensity is less than a certain amount, then it is not a thunderstorm, but that line of thinking isn't quite correct, because it can still be a thunderstorm, and it can gain intensity pretty fast. The commercial airliners push this issue pretty far, too far in my opinion, and a quite a few aircraft have crashed due to the excessive downdrafts and windshear produced by the thunderstorms, usually on takeoff or landing. Unfortunately the pressure is on the pilots to complete the flight and not land somewhere that the passengers did not pay to go. They walk a fine line and in my opinion they cross it too many times.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Phillbo said:
I strap a one iron to my camelbak. not even god can hit a one iron.
World Class, Phillbo, World Class...had me laughing out loud...:thumbsup:

Except you'd have to edit to say that Tiger could hit one...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
One time as I was cresting a long hill near the 51 on T100, the wind grabbed my front tire, and pulled it just enough that my next pedal stroke (while yanking on the bars) let the front tire lift and replant 1 foot over. I fell down and laughed how I could crash uphill going 2 mph!

As far as rain- down here hypothermia is gonna be rare, but up in Jayem country where it's tough enough not to get into a Deliverance situation, you could freeze to death pretty quick.

Lightning, mitigate the risk and ride if you feel comfortable.

·
shred my gnar
604 Posts
Phillbo said:
I strap a one iron to my camelbak. not even god can hit a one iron.
gold.

op- if you are riding in flagstaff during monsoon season, simply make sure you start early enough to be off the trail by 12-1... if you are really spooked, anyway. the storms tend to be be quick moving and spotty (albeit violent) although some days it seems like the storms cover the entire peaks.

i dont always follow that time schedule i mentioned above and have got caught in some pretty crazy storms but most of the time things pan out just fine... ive often been rained on lightly while coming down schultz or lower moto and by the time my bike is in the truck its dumping.

carry a good shell and plan on being done by 12-1 and you will be fine 90% of the time.

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
I usually don't worry about monsoons when riding in the desert. The "typical" storm will start blowing lots of dirt around and you'll smell the rain long before it comes. When it gets to that, start heading back to home/car.

That being said, 2 summers ago I was totally blindsided by a mid-September monsoon storm that scared the bezeejus out of me. This was on a road ride (gasp). I was riding up to the Bartlett Lake towers by myself. When I got to the top I saw ths storm moving in from the northwest. It looked like it was pretty far off so my plan was to ride back down as fast as I could and beat it. I don't think I made it 3 miles down the hill before all sh!t broke loose. The wind started blowing so hard that I had to pedal *hard* just to keep 15mph downhill. Then the rain and hail came in sheets. I pulled over and huddled under a scrawny little Palo Verde tree that did nothing to keep the hail off me. I was in a sleeveless jersey and the temperatures dropped about 30-40 degrees. Needless to say I was freezing to the point where i could not feel my hands or feet. I bet at least 5 inches of rain fell because Cave Creek Road up on that hill was flooded over with water (at least 12" deep - cars were struggling to move). Luckly a group of Mexicans in a landscaping truck saw me shivering under that tree and picked me up (they didn't speak any English) and drove me down into Carefree where I could call for help.

Now where it gets *really* scary is Flagstaff. Monsoon storms up there don't mess around. It will literally go from sunny and calm to a wicked lightning storm in less than 20 minutes. I've had countless times where I was on the top of the mountain...heard the first few "booms"...tried to race down to beat the storm only to end up huddling under a little tree hoping not to get killed by hail. Now I just plan on being off the mountains by 2pm at the latest in July-August.

Thx...Doug

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.