Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Aren't those the forks that are on Department Store level bikes, but because they went on Jeep branded bikes, they wanted some brand recognition, so they put together some junky forks and slapped Monroe stickers on them to make the people buying them think there's a big deal about them and inflate the perceived value?

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
hardtailrider 14 said:
do you know how to adjust them.
It would help if you had pics or a description of the topcaps and bottoms of the fork legs. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's probably an elastomer fork with a rudimentary damper (if that). Some elastomer forks have a preload adjustment on top of the left leg but thats just to adjust the sag so it works for your weight.

Sorry dude, I think JC is right, there probably isn't much you can do to that fork. And the Jeep brand bikes aren't exactly upgrade-worthy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Monroe-matic is the economy line of shocks, so they are not adjustable.

They're not bad though - they are nitrogen gas charged and feature velocity proportional valving and all weather fluid, which offers passenger cars improved comfort at an economical price. I have a set on my Ford Explorer and they've held up the last 20k miles great.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Lighten Up!

. . .take some time to look at this guy's profile; he's just a kid! (no offense "hardtailrider14"). Obviously, he's just stoked on riding!

Now, "h-tail14", I hate to break it to you but that Monroe-fork isn't exactly top-of-the-line. In fact, most experienced riders would prefer a rigid-fork (no suspension) over the fork in question. Short-term, I'd lube the junction where the "stanchions" meet the "lowers". Long-term, I'd save some cash (either side of $150 -which to you probably seems like a big wad-of-dough; patience, young-man, patience!) and look for a good-deal at your local-bike-shop (LBS) or on-line. There's a reason Fox, Rock-Shox, Marzocchi and Manitou are the most respected names in the mountain-bike business.

Keep pedaling. Keep your head up. Look at where your two-wheels take you and enjoy every f**king minute of it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
yes i hate to break it to ya buddy but monroe makes car struts, not bike struts.

Since its a Jeep bike, they must have thought it would be "cute" to make the front shock a "monroe-matic" (recommended OE replacement for Jeep SUV's)

Just ride the piss out of it and have fun, buddy.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The forks are doing very well and i ride my bikes very hard. The forks are stiff. I really want some triggers for my shifters though cause i have hurt my self on those twist shifters. going through tight trrees and hitting the trees and nailing my hand. that sucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.