Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody commuting on a monocog. I am thinking about building one however i think the frame may rust if it gets rained on a whole lot. The big plus of this bike is its cheap and I could run disk breaks. Also is it a pain to change the gear ratio. I've read of people running a 42-16 ratio.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You can run a flipflop hub for a second gear ratio, but it's not compatible with disc brakes.
Cog changes are easy if you use a cassette hub (dished for multiple cogs) with one of those single speed kits (spacers replace the extra cogs), allowing you to keep the disc brake. Godspeed!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
It is not hard to change the ratio. Chainring/cog is easy to swap out. When you get the bike, pull it apart a little bit, if you can go down to the frame that'd be best, and get some J.P. Weigel Framesaver and spray it inside the frame tubes to protect against rust. You can also drill a hole in the bottom of the bottom bracket shell to drain any water out that may accumulate.

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
I was thinking about getting a monocog for commuting as well, but I didn't realize it was a steel frame, might not hold up in the 6-7 month long winters I have to deal with.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
It's a thick, strong frame. I live in WI and I ride year long, everyday. Just use Framesaver. Spray your frame down every year before the wet season. It takes a long long time, even untreated, for a frame to rust out.

·
Registered
820 Posts
spcarter said:
I was thinking about getting a monocog for commuting as well, but I didn't realize it was a steel frame, might not hold up in the 6-7 month long winters I have to deal with.
Balderdash! What do you think my 'winter bike' is? Actually it's my only bike (heh) right now, but that's another question. Steel bikes do FINE in wet weather. Like the gent said, Frame Saver 'em, and-this is key-FENDER that bike, and it'll be fine. That's my only complaint 'bout the Monocog,it doesn't have eyelets for fenders.(Well, that's not strictly true. My other complaint is the cheapness of a lot of the stock components; but they're definitely slowly upgrading those. You may still be better off building up yer own MC frame.) My Rocky Mountain Blizzard, converted to SS does, so that's what I rides. year around. Get the Monocog! I wish I hadn't sold mine.

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
I commuted all last year on a monocog in NH. No problems with rust... the thick gas pipe they use to put that frame together will hold up to a lot more than a little salty rainwater. The bike is a tank. I ran 46x18 on an 11 mile one way commute with 900 feet of climbing and had no troubles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Doggity said:
Balderdash! What do you think my 'winter bike' is? Actually it's my only bike (heh) right now, but that's another question. Steel bikes do FINE in wet weather. Like the gent said, Frame Saver 'em, and-this is key-FENDER that bike, and it'll be fine. That's my only complaint 'bout the Monocog,it doesn't have eyelets for fenders.(Well, that's not strictly true. My other complaint is the cheapness of a lot of the stock components; but they're definitely slowly upgrading those. You may still be better off building up yer own MC frame.) My Rocky Mountain Blizzard, converted to SS does, so that's what I rides. year around. Get the Monocog! I wish I hadn't sold mine.
If they start upgrading the stock components, then they also UPgrade the price. Can't expect Chris King headsets and hydrolic discs on a $400 bike. But for commuting, I think it would make an excellent ride, just put a 42 tooth chainring up front and some clamp on fenders and you're golden.

·
aquanaut in the mountains
27 Posts
I commute with mine and also hit the trails with a double double set up. 30/34 in the front,20/15 in the rear on a 29" monocog. Makes the ride more fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The cog would make a great bike for commuting. I have a street/hybrid setup for mine that involves swapping out knobby tires for slicks and a 44t front chainring. Best thing is you can convert back to mtb trim with relative ease and go ride some trails on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
whats the max size of tires the monocog can take front and back? im specifically looking at the big apples for my cog and was wondering.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
You can fit 2.35 Big Apples. I'm sure they'll even fit on Kris Holm 38mm rims. How far back you set the axle determines your tire clearance. They don't have as much as a Karate Monkey (I have both), but the clearance is good.

·
smell my finger
154 Posts
monocog commuter

Just threw on a salsa 42 front chainring to help out with the commute on the 29er. I still have the stock 20 tooth cog on the rear. I took it out for a test ride of around 9 miles with hills and some flats and I love the gearing. I used to spin out with my 32 chainring in the front while on the road but now I'm always pedaling with resistance. Not to the point of screaming or anything but I'm much quicker and I think it will work awesomely throughout the winter. I'll be needing some fenders and a rear rack with a bag soon. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I'm geared dingle fixed, 39/42 front, 17/21 rear. For fenders I got the planet bike cascadia. I used rubber coated cable clamps from the hardware store to act as eyelets on the seatstays and fork. I rammed an extra star nut into the bottom of the steerer, an angle bracket spread slightly and bolted into that to be the upper front mount for the fender. The rear I used another angle bracket and drilled a hole in the chainstay bridge to mount that. Another hole was drilled in the seatstay bridge to mount the fender there as well. It's pretty simple if you're handy, otherwise use clip-ons.

For a rack, I'd just drill some mounting holes into the dropouts, or use a seatpost rack, or an OMM rack that uses that v-brake studs and the axle.

·
smell my finger
154 Posts
moncog freehub/20 tooth cog

Yeah, it was kinda weird that the monocog came with the 20T cog, the book says 16T, so when I ordered the bike I told the Lbs to order a 20T cog to put on. When the bike came in the 20T was already on the back and I'm glad cause the lbs forgot to order the 20t after all. I'm getting alot of growling from the freehub and think it may have to be changed. Has anyone else changed out the stock freehub yet? Any upgrades or is stock ok? I'll keep the stock wheelset a little longer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.