Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick up a new redline monocog and I have a bit of extra cash to upgrade some components.

What is the weak point on the monocog that I should upgrade before leaving the shop?

Just dont want to have to go back cause something didn't hold up. Its kinda far for me.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
Congrads on the new 'Cog
You might want to check out the Redline forum here too.

Monocogs are pretty burly bikes. I've heard people complaining about weak headsets,but I haven't upgraded mine in a year-this month-of xc riding (I have a d440,but the hs is the same).

The V brakes worked surprisingly well to me (also same spec as mine),but I had some discs from another bike I'd sold,so I had them installed. The bars/stem,seat/post on both the Monocog and d440 are pretty hefty (even for budget parts),but I've yet to upgrade any of those either (I upgraded every other part tho). For me personally,I'd want to pick my rear cog,but 32x16t just doesn't cut it for me on my hilly trails.

If you have some extra $ and just want to upgrade,go with parts you like,you could add bling or go with some lighter parts,but as far as things you need,you picked a good bike to start
. I've had my '02 Monocog 26er for years,and it's served me very well. Where's the pics?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
You'll get IMO the greatest satisfaction from personalisation upgrades. Handlebars (big sweep and matching stem), seat (the one you like), pedals, grips, will greatly affect he way the bike feels to you. Rather a heavy bike that's just the way I want it, that a light one that feels all wrong.

And yeah, congrats on the 'Cog!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just put on my pedal of choice and I am waiting for something to break before an upgrade. So far the noted weak points (headset, bb, hubs) have all performed just fine after 200 miles. The V-brakes howl in protest whenever I use them, but that is lack of maintenance on my end. Enjoy the new bike, it is still probably the best ride for the money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just bought mine a few days ago and have already installed BB7 brakes, the stock ones were howlers for sure! I ordered a Reba shock but backed out, still deciding on what to do there. I think the headset problem has been taken care of a couple years ago. I am getting a little creaking noise from the BB though. The more I ride it the more I like it, the geometry is so comfy!

Oh, and sweaty hands do not work well with the stock grips! I have new grips ordered.

·
Super Moderator
4,672 Posts
I did the brakes, went to BB7's, stuck on a shorter stem and have fitted On-One Mary bars and Oury grips.

IMO it doesn't need suspension, I have no problem keeping pace with my buddy on a Scalpel.

·
achiever
1,024 Posts
cgarolr said:
add a front suspension...riding rigid sucks on very rooty and rocky trails!
Not if you ride it like a rigid, remembering to keep the front end light. :)

The wheels are damn heavy. If you're not upgrading the wheels, make sure they are trued and tensioned before you leave. Mine were a mess, virtually unridable out of the box. I plan on building a set later this year, I think my freehub is going to blow up, it's occasionally popping badly under load on tough climbs.

I went to a shorter stem (I'm a little guy) and Mary style bars and added disc brakes (BB7's), WTB Silverado saddle and a Raceface seatpost.

Red

·
Registered
45 Posts
in the last year and half since i got mine, i have replaced everything but the headset (which everyone complains about) bars (which are coming soon, i guess?) and brake levers. mainly just when somthing breaks. i like the way the bike feels rigid, but it feels great with a reba too. My BB blew out, so i took that opportunitiy just to upgrade cranksets, seat broke, seatpost bents (real bad), wheels were ok, just wanted an uprgrade. (rides much better tubeless). Grips were terrible - Switch those first.
I say just fix what breaks, and upgrade as you feel fit.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Like I said I was going to pick up a new one. So I went looking today and they didn't have my size so I had to order. They told me a little over a week.

I guess I will just upgrade as I go since there are no real weak points. I think I want to do the brakes (looks like most like BB7's) right out the box but we'll see after a ride or two.

I will definitely put up some pics when I get it.

·
Enjoy the Ride!
40 Posts
I suggest starting off simple to get the most bang for your buck, before dumping alot of money into replacing already solid components. Ditch the horrible stock grips and put on comfy ones. Put on a saddle that you love. Keep the V brakes but put on Kool Stop MTB pads --- they are way better than the stock ones and if your brakes are set up properly, the V's will work great. One step above these items would be to install a new headset, since the stock cheapie on my D440 kept on loosening. I put a Cane Creek S-3 on and now have flawless performance.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
The first thing I always look to upgrade is the wheelset.
I like to have a backup set, and I build my own which saves me some money.
My favorite rims are rim brake combatible too, so I wouldn't need to upgrade the brakes until Winter.
Other than that, I try and wait for a need before replacing parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had mine for 3 years, and have changed things here and there. What I would suggest is getting the most bang for your buck.

Sure wheels and a suspension fork are good choices, but there are things that make it better that are cheaper. Rode mine rigid for 1.5 years, then put a Tora 318 on for a year, and am now back to rigid. The wheels are doing well so far after 3 years.

I'd suggest:
bb7's ( dbl side pad adjustment, cheap, and can set up to work well)
lock on grips
headset ( my original lasted a year and a half riding rigid)
ghetto tubeless on the DH-19's
new rear tire (the exiwolf is a good cornering front but more meat is needed in the rear)

Hunter

·
Registered
820 Posts
Things may have changed since 06, but the only thing I had to upgrade right away was the seatpost clamp, since my heavy butt kept hammering the saddle down into the frame.
Now it's 09, I rides an 08 D440. Headset's been fine. Had to go with a longer seat post, so new clamp and B17 went in at same time. Everything that's been replaced has been about dialing in the bike to me...stem, bars, grips, saddle, seatpost. Stock brakes are OK too. I just put in a handbuilt pair of wheels from Mike Curiak of BigWheels, and have yet to be able to ride 'em, but there's nothing wrong with the stock wheels, other than being heavy and stout...not a bad thing at all to start with. Your BB7 idea is a good one; that's what I'll probably do next with mine.Enjoy!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think wheels will make a huge difference. I recently replaced my front wheel with an XT hub/Salsa Semi rim. The wheel is lighter and I can run very low pressures in the front now. The bike is still a rigid, but it is more comfy with a fat tire in the front and low pressures. And you could do an unsupported ghetto tubeless on the Salsa Semi. Or you could go with Stans Flow which is a nice wide light rim and tubeless ready too. If you some research you could probably find some weight info regarding how heavy the Cog wheelset is.

I thought the stock saddle sucked, so that went quick. And I put on BB7's and two different swept handlebars.

I have not had any problems with the stock headset, but I don't jump much or take big drops.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts