Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious how many of you guys (and gals) have sold off your monocogs to upgrade and then wished you had just keep it. I getting ready to build up a nice SS (or maybe 1x9) and have been going back and forth on selling it. I have thought about keeping it for my bad weather, beater SS bike. Even thought about keeping it as the rigid SS and setting the new bike up as front suspension. Should I just keep it or sell it to help addict someone else?

PS: Cloxxki already told me when I got it, that I would regret it if I ever sold it.

·
singletrack bound
3,162 Posts
Well....I'm in the same boat here. I have been riding my vassago 29 ss since July and have a S.C. Chameleon SS that I have rode for over three years and it is in very good shape! I haven't got on it since late summer and I just recently put it up on C.L.
I sorta have mixed feelings when I go into the shop and walk past it. Once the add expires and if I don't get any takers....I may just keep it for a back up or for a loaner for my friends! Tuff decision! :D

PS.....I'm not sure but it may have something to do with the BIG WHEELS!

Tone.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Same boat here also,I was going to sell my Vassago JW because I've got like three 29er projects on my plate right now..But the truth is for what I'd get if I sold it cheap it makes no sence..I just think EVERYBODY should have a steel rigid SS in the stable. And if my rigid steel SS is a Vassago JW I'm think that makes me a pretty lucky guy..So I guess I'm trying to say KEEP IT..........CF.

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As far as money, it won't effect my other build to keep it. My only thing is I will then have 4 bikes (I know you never have too many), and the house were renting doesn't have tons of storage room. The one were getting ready to build will, but until then. I might eventually sell my Fisher Cake, but my Tassahara is a good beater, loaner bike plus I wouldn't get anything out of it. I also bought both of my fishers new, so I do have lifetime warranty on both of those frames.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I was going to sell my Redline Flight but then my current SS broke beyond repair. You never know when you'll need a back-up bike frame. Not to mention, it's used retail is so low that it won't pad your bank account. I say, Keep It!

·
Road Bike Review Member
224 Posts
I had a Monocog Flight as my first singlespeed. I got addicted, bought a Niner, and sold the Redline. The Niner is much lighter but definitely doesn't ride as nice.
So...yes ...I regret selling it even though I didn't lose any money.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
nitrousjunky said:
I guess I could keep it, build a geared HT
Sounds like you want a sweet SS bike though. Don't give up on the dream!!!

I'd keep the 'cog and put a small bit of money into making it different enough to still warrant riding time and space in your garage.
-throw a tomicog on and have a dedicated fixie
-buy some dirt drops and make it a monstercross
-buy some big tires (Stouts?) and make it your aggressive bike
-buy some smaller tires, put a higher gear on it and make it a dirt road racer and fast around town bike
-some combination of the above ideas

I'm sure there are other ideas out there too.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
along the same lines... i'm torn on keeping or selling my d440... shortly after i got it i found a real good deal on a karate monkey... they are so similar though it's hard to justify keeping, both rigid 29ers running geared... i'm torn on the d440 as i'd like to buy a suspension fork for the KM... but on the other hand i'd like to have a backup if something goes wrong, like to have something for road training and if/when i change jobs something to use as a commuter... hard decision...

·
WNC Native
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I do keep it, I'd probably only maybe add an odis fork,bigger sweep bars, and some bigger tires. The new upcoming bike will get majority of the funds!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Sure, I'd sell the MC. If it were my last posession of material value, and standing between my children's empty stomachs and their next meal. I'd sell the MC without a moment of doubt.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
LIFECYCLE said:
Unfortunately i have never had one to sell because they are not available in the UK.HINT,HINT,Redline.....
You're easily dissuaded aren't you? I have 2 Redlines, a friend has one, and there are more. In the Netherlands alone. You should have acted back when a Sterling got you two bucks... I'm gonna buy a new british car now in stead of used, with the current exchange rate.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.