Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may end up with extra nipples :)

Found this guy rattling inside my rim while I was changing tires the other night. He had a brother too. In both cases, I had to remove one of the attached nipples that were in the way so that I could extract the loose nipple. I'd heard the noise this fall and isolated the sound to somewhere inside the rim between two spokes, and marked the spot with an "X". I told the owner of the LBS about it when I dropped it off for the free tune-up. He said that it was definitely not a loose nipple, but rather a bearing in the hub. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I am slowly training myself to do all my own work.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
remove rim strip and shake

Ozmosis said:
You may end up with extra nipples :)

Found this guy rattling inside my rim while I was changing tires the other night. He had a brother too. In both cases, I had to remove one of the attached nipples that were in the way so that I could extract the loose nipple. I'd heard the noise this fall and isolated the sound to somewhere inside the rim between two spokes, and marked the spot with an "X". I told the owner of the LBS about it when I dropped it off for the free tune-up. He said that it was definitely not a loose nipple, but rather a bearing in the hub. :rolleyes: Needless to say, I am slowly training myself to do all my own work.
I had two broken nipples from a branch and I just took out the rim strip and shook the wheel till the broken pieces of spoke nipple came out either the valve hole or one of the two broken nipple holes.

·
Gone riding
3,350 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a few extra nipples… ;) :p

Ozmosis said:
Needless to say, I am slowly training myself to do all my own work.
That sounds like a wise decision, although ball and cone hubs sometimes do make a similar noise. Even so it's not always an indication of a damaged bearing either…

I wonder if these wheels are hand or machine built?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
single1x1 said:
I had two broken nipples from a branch and I just took out the rim strip and shook the wheel till the broken pieces of spoke nipple came out either the valve hole or one of the two broken nipple holes.
I tried. As you see it in the picture is exactly as far as it would come out. I tried pulling on it with a needlenose pliers, but stopped at the risk of damaging the rim. The head of the loose nipple couldn't get past the head of the installed nipple. Had to remove the affected nipple completely to get it out.

Low_Rider: I believe that Shiggy has mentioned before that monocogs have machine-built wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.