Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of adding a suspension for to my Flight - but I don't want to slow down the handling. I'm running low 20psi on my tubeless set-up on the front and my arms still get pretty worked sometimes - I know some will say do more push-ups. Yeah, that's an option - but I'd like to look at other options as well

I know the frame was designed to use a fork with 47mm of offset. I don't know of any suspension fork that has that offset other than the Fox for G2 geometry - and it has 51mm of offset which you need a Gary Fisher serial # to get anyway - and the new DT Swiss supposedly has 47mm of offset - but it's $1200 - and beyond my financial means.

I've heard Rock Shox is due out with one - but when? And with how much offset will it have?

What's the offset on the White Brothers - its not on their website...

Will I notice a big change in the handling using a current REBA (43mm of offset)?

S

Cloxxki I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

·
loud hubs save lives
702 Posts
the current reba is 38mm ... the future one (09) has more offset.

I'm currently running an 80mm RST-M29 and couldn't be happier. Fork is stiff and works well. It has 44mm of offset and i can't tell any difference in handling between it and the stock rigid .. except the obvious added cush.

this fork has gotten a lot of praise if you search around ... its not the same rst stuff you may be expecting.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read lots of good stuff about the new RST 29er fork ... but I don't think they're available right now ...

Thanks for the correction on the RS offset - that is enuogh that I think I'll wait and see what else is out there.

Is there a lockout on the RST?

Thanks,
S

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Screw it

I'm going to put a Fox 32 F29 on the front of my MC Flight. I have no idea about offset.

·
loud hubs save lives
702 Posts
stevereeneo said:
I've read lots of good stuff about the new RST 29er fork ... but I don't think they're available right now ...

Thanks for the correction on the RS offset - that is enuogh that I think I'll wait and see what else is out there.

Is there a lockout on the RST?

Thanks,
S
yep, there's a compression lockout. you still get a few mm, but its still pretty solid.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
bullit71 said:
I'm going to put a Fox 32 F29 on the front of my MC Flight. I have no idea about offset.
aftermarket F29 has 44mm offset. The 80mm travel version ought to be pretty close to the original rigid Flight fork in terms of AtoC. It'll probably be negligible WRT handling differences. Go for it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at the RST website and ebay where I thought they were for sale - but they are not available - anyone know when/where they can be found?

S

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The 51mm Reba's and Fox's will be okay in both 80mm and 100mm. In 80mm, it should even speed up handling some, but truthfully may be more than anyone really needs with suspension.
The Manitou's are said to come in 48mm, 80mm travel would perfectly match the current handling then.
Even an RST at 44mm offset and 80mm travel should not "kill" handling. It would still handles about as quick as the dozens of 72º HTA bikes with 39mm offset, but just feel better. Fox's come in that offset as well I think.

As the Flight is already rather short (intensionally though), I'd try th 48mm/80mm route of the Manitou, if that information proves correct. If you can later make it 100mm, that's an option that would be nice for more agressive riding, or even a totally different frame with an old style steep HTA.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info all - I'm just looking for 80mm anyway and I'll start keeping my eyes open for them.
I'm not usually a Manitou fan - butI'll take a second look at those... I did see someone riding one a few weeks back and he mentioed that he's had no problems with it.

Now to see what I can sell to start putting $ toward that new fork.

Again, thanks for the info ... when are those new Rebas due out? - Oh that's another thread...

S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.