Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just your basic black KM, size 22". Bought new a few weeks ago from Outside Outfitters (great to work with by the way). Mine came with the swanky stainless steel Constrictor.

The white fork is a Niner rigid - 490mm AtoC. Powdercoated white, bought for a song from Kam here on MTBR. I went with this fork to add a little bar height for use with the Midges, ran this fork on my Monocog Flight, so same bar height/steerer tube length was used on that bike - easy transition of parts to the KM.

Mike Curiak (aka mikesee) built Hope/Gordo wheelset. Black with purple nips. Add some fat WTB rubber and it rides smooth.

Boone 21T Ti cog, 180mm Stylo cranks w/ a Blackspire 36T ring. Good solid stuff, if a bit blingy on the cog.

Profile Design white/gray/black tape. Got it to match my pewter King HS (this is the 3d bike it's been on). It kinda ties in the white fork to the black/white frame.

I like it so far.....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Looking at convering my KM over to the Midge bars this winter as well. Couple of questions:

What brand/rise/length stem are you using?

Are your Avid's the road or the MTB version? If they're the MTB version, what brake levers did you use so you didn't have issues with the pull?

Thanks

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
taterbug said:
What happened to the other 29er GLG?
I'm going to smooth all the cable stops, strip the pea green color and get it powdercoated a nice charcoal/black metallic. Then it'll get a new Cane Creek headset and Thomson seatpost - before heading to my Dad - it's his birthday present. He's currently running an aluminum singlespeed, originally a hybrid frame. He needs a steel frame, actually designed for SS'ing.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sfuller said:
Looking at convering my KM over to the Midge bars this winter as well. Couple of questions:

What brand/rise/length stem are you using?

Are your Avid's the road or the MTB version? If they're the MTB version, what brake levers did you use so you didn't have issues with the pull?

Thanks
Generic 40 degree by 110mm stem from Comcycle USA on Ebay. Was $19.95. Still thinkering on this. When settled, I'll have a custom steel stem made by one of the many fabricators out there.

Avids are MTN BB7s. Using Tektro RL520s - great levers with no issues on pull. They're designed for linear pull applications.

I've wanted a KM for a while now, and now that I have one, I look forward to many, many miles with this frame.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Use Tektro RL520s or Cane Creek Drop V (twice the price, same lever). I have Midges on my Monkey as well. 140mm stem, 30 degree rise. Titec titanium I found on eBay for $25. Effective reach is really just 125mm, so it isn't that goofy.

·
Registered
699 Posts
GLG and Schmucker - Thanks for the tips on the Tektro levers. I'll have to get a set ordered. I have a feeling that stem angle and length may take some measuring or tinkering to get where I want it, lest I end up with a ton of stems hanging about (which might not be a bad thing anyway).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.