Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What to do with this money

• Pass it out to the co-workers

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hand it out to the boss

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • leave it there.....He might come pay off the bill.

Votes: 5 10.0%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Co-Workers and I have a money quandry.......

Here's the situation.......
A customer ordered a rather expensive part that was delivered to him about a year and a half ago. Got into money trouble and had to sell the piece of equipment that the part went on to pay bills. In the mean while, he still owe's my company $3600.00. I finnally got a hold of him and he gave Me $500.00 in cash, that has been in an envelope in my desk for over a year.......I'm looking at it thinking man I should use it but I won't, so I brought it up to the rest of the crew this morning (5 of us) that we all get one bill each, and just make it go away (before it dissapears) and we all get a "bonus" if sorts.... My boss already wrote off the part as a loss and know's not of the money in my desk :D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ae111black said:
My Co-Workers and I have a money quandry.......

Here's the situation.......
A customer ordered a rather expensive part that was delivered to him about a year and a half ago. Got into money trouble and had to sell the piece of equipment that the part went on to pay bills. In the mean while, he still owe's my company $3600.00. I finnally got a hold of him and he gave Me $500.00 in cash, that has been in an envelope in my desk for over a year.......I'm looking at it thinking man I should use it but I won't, so I brought it up to the rest of the crew this morning (5 of us) that we all get one bill each, and just make it go away (before it dissapears) and we all get a "bonus" if sorts.... My boss already wrote off the part as a loss and know's not of the money in my desk :D
Why has the money been on your desk for a year? It should have been applied to his account as soon as it came in, as he expected it to be handled.

·
All fat, all the time.
10,638 Posts
shiggy said:
Why has the money been on your desk for a year? It should have been applied to his account as soon as it came in, as he expected it to be handled.
Yah that was my thought too.
Does your boss know you have the $500?

I would not take it....it belongs to the company. They are already out alot of $$ for the part.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy said:
Well there's a little more to the story here.....

The customer was in the process of opening an account with us and it never went through. So he dosent have one to apply it too. And again the boss know's nothing of the $500.00.........

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
ae111black said:
And again the boss know's nothing of the $500.00.........
And whose job is it to tell him?

If one of your employees had received $500 that was owed to your business, and either took it or shared it with his employees, without ever having told you about the money, how would you feel about him and his actions?

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,983 Posts
You will likely get your azz chewed for sitting on the money, but you need to come clean with your boss. What your excuse is for that, I don't know.

But what you CAN'T do is help yourself to it -- not if you want to look at yourself in the mirror and not see a dirtbag.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bigpedaler said:
You will likely get your azz chewed for sitting on the money, but you need to come clean with your boss. What your excuse is for that, I don't know.

But what you CAN'T do is help yourself to it -- not if you want to look at yourself in the mirror and not see a dirtbag.
yah defanately not a dirt bag....... Thanks for the input! Now we just have to figure out how to hand it over to the boss. We could all use it but....:nono: I know it's not mine to be giving out! So my sales team will hope for the best! I'ts likely my boss would just piss away the money anyway...:madman:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
When the company puts the $3500 up for collection and the debtor claims he gave you $500 cash, you will be fired at best and should be charged with embezzlement.

You have also told four coworkers so now you have four witnesses. You are just a thief at this time.

Turn the money over to the company and be done with it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In my opinion, taking that money for yourself is theft, period. The only person that has any right to that money is the owner of the company. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did what you are thinking about. And if you were my employee and you took it, at the very least, I would hold you personally accountable for the money left in your care and frankly, probably fire you.

Edited to add: Apparently you type faster than me. It is good to see that you thought it through. If your boss is any kind of a decent guy, he might chew you out a bit, but will at least respect the fact that you could have taken it and he might have never found out, but you didn't.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gmcttr said:
When the company puts the $3500 up for collection and the debtor claims he gave you $500 cash, you will be fired at best and should be charged with embezzlement.

You have also told four coworkers so now you have four witnesses. You are just a thief at this time

Turn the money over to the company and be done with it.
There is no way to collect money from someone that has nothing......

gmcttr said:
You have also told four coworkers so now you have four witnesses.
Everybody knew about it from the get go......(even the bookkeeper)

gmcttr said:
You are just a thief at this time.
So I have been a thief for over a year than?

Come on guy's..........you must be all buisness owners than?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just want to get it out of my desk drawer...... accually forgot about it, Stumbled upon the envelope doing some end if the year cleaning....

Dont worry the boss will get his 5 bills! he will probably have his truck detailed or somthing with it....

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
ae111black said:
Just want to get it out of my desk drawer...... accually forgot about it, Stumbled upon the envelope doing some end if the year cleaning....

Dont worry the boss will get his 5 bills! he will probably have his truck detailed or somthing with it....
Maybe he'd surprise you and pass it out to the crew, but since he took it in the shorts on this transaction I doubt it. Hopefully you come out with some ass left...

ps I have been an owner (not full, though) in the last several businesses I've been in. I'd have serious problems with someone who handled company money this way...

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
If that is the case

then approaching him with this situation should be much easier. He might chide you a bit for being so loose with his money but stuff like that happens. You can say "my bad" and that you felt a bit silly and its done.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
Send the money to me and I will hold the funds in escrow for you, if you are asked where the money is just reply "it is in escrow".

Problem solved.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
nachomc said:
I don't see the problem here. You either take the money and you're a dirt bag thief, or you report it to your boss and you're not a dirt bag thief.
Yup.

Doing the right thing is quite often not the easiest thing to do, but it's always the right thing to do.

I'd recommend manning up immediately.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.