Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, i'm pretty new to the sport(@ 15 years old)

I would like to know if any one has ever rode, or owned a Mongoose XR-Comp Dual-Suspension and could tell me if it was good or not ? I also have the Mongoose XR-250 for being a walmart bike, its held up better then my buddies bike he got from a bike shop for more. Would i see improvement from the XR-250, the main reason i want this bike is for the dual disc brakes.

For those of your guys that just know parts, here is the product information
(from walmart)

This Mongoose bike is as aggressive as they come. Its hydro-formed dual suspension frame and fork can handle any terrain. The 24-speed trigger shift system ensures smooth shifting in all conditions, for tackling hills with ease. ProMax dual disc brakes provide sure stopping power, giving you the confidence to take on trails like you've always wanted.

Frame: 4-bar alloy dual suspension hydro-formed
Fork: Suntour XCM; coil with preload adjust, 80mm, disc specific
Rear suspension: 150mm eye-to-eye; 850 lb. coil; adjustable
Gearing: Shimano with EZ fire shifters; Suntour XR 24/34/42; SRAM SX4 Trigger Shifter system
Handlebars: 24" carbon-wrapped fat bars
Stem: 31.8 Ahead
Brakes: ProMax mechanical dual disc
Front Derailleur: Suntour
Rear Derailleur: SRAM SX4
Wheels: 26" 36H black anodized alloy Star "Swift" Arrow rims; alloy QR disc hubs
Shifters: 24-speed trigger shift system
Tires: Mongoose DH 26" x 2.35"
Pedals: Mongoose Alloy platform
Speeds: 24-speed trigger shift system
Suspension: Dual
Frame: 4-bar alloy dual suspension hydro-formed
Bike Type: Mountain Bikes
Brake Type: ProMax mechanical dual disc
Shipping Weight (in pounds): 46.0
Product in Inches (L x W x H): 65.9 x 16.1 x 37.8

here is the link for picture (just click on it to enlarge)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10927850&findingMethod=rr

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
its a safe bet that this bike is a piece of trash...

you would be better off to take the $400 bucks you are gonna spend on this and go to a real bike shop and get an entry level hardtail that will atleast have half-way decent components...

what you are looking at is a FS bike that only gets only a c-unt hair above 3 inches of travel and weighs twice what it should...

its proabably also gonna be assembled wrong and dangerous if you actually do any real mtn biking with it...

but hey... if you want some ghetto bling that will turn heads in your local trialerpark this bike is for you... if you really have any interest in biking stay away from anything that comes from walmart... atleast do your self the favor of doing some reasearch...

good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See i don't agree with you on the walmart thing, i have the XR-250 from walmart and prob about 1000 miles on it, i ride it every day, and i ride it like a stole it. (beats the sh*t out of it) and its fine, and was cheaper, you just have to do a few adjustments, and some lubing and you have one heck of a bike.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
well, everyone else is going to tell you basically the same thing.

isnt there a sticker right on the bike that says its not for off-road use, danger of injury/death etc? its a very very very low end bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i want some one thats used the bike before.

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
do a search man.. theres even a sticky about those bikes.

if you're just looking for someone to agree with you, you're not going to find it. if you're receptive to advice, you can receive some and avoid a junker like a walmart bike and get yourself something decent.

we all understand people have budgets, and some peoples budgets are less than others.. that doesnt change that you can get a much better bike than that mongoose.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
You're not going to get feedback on that bike from anyone who's ridden it because most people on these forums do not ride wal-mart bikes off-road.

You asked for advice, and so far you've received some good suggestions. Nothing on that bike is worth upgrading. It's not worthy of any serious off-road riding. It's heavy, cheap and the welds are less than ideal. Truth be told if you really put it through any abuse, it would've broken already.

Here's the standard response: If you're serious about getting into the sport, save your money, and purchase a bike from a bike shop, or a nice used bike off craiglist. Stay away from anything sold at a department store (Schwinn, Mongoose, etc.).

And read this: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=30921

·
Registered
196 Posts
Blake Kawalec said:
See i don't agree with you on the walmart thing, i have the XR-250 from walmart and prob about 1000 miles on it, i ride it every day, and i ride it like a stole it. (beats the sh*t out of it) and its fine, and was cheaper, you just have to do a few adjustments, and some lubing and you have one heck of a bike.
do you ride the bike to school or do you ride it on trails?
if you ride the bike to school just get a bmx bike
if you ride it on trails get a real mtn bike before you kill yourself

no point buying that bike. i know not everyone has money. i'm a broke ass. i picked up my bike used on craigslist for $100, my wife expressed interest in riding so i found her a roadmaster mtn bike on craigslist for $30. yes a walmart bike.
i paid $30 for it and to be honest i feel like i over paid. the bike is crap, but it's getting my wife out riding with me. now that we know she likes to ride we can get her a good bike.

you know you like to ride bikes so you should get a good bike
you can get a good bike used for $400. do you need full suspension or is a hardtail fine?
i think that mongoose is worth about $30-$60. i would never pay more for a bike from walmart.
and i'm a broke ass that shops at the dollar store and walmart all the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Berkley said:
You're not going to get feedback on that bike from anyone who's ridden it because most people on these forums do not ride wal-mart bikes off-road.

You asked for advice, and so far you've received some good suggestions. Nothing on that bike is worth upgrading. It's not worthy of any serious off-road riding. It's heavy, cheap and the welds are less than ideal. Truth be told if you really put it through any abuse, it would've broken already.

Here's the standard response: If you're serious about getting into the sport, save your money, and purchase a bike from a bike shop, or a nice used bike off craiglist. Stay away from anything sold at a department store (Schwinn, Mongoose, etc.).

And read this: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=30921
do you not like heavy bikes because you have girly legs ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
micycle mike said:
do you ride the bike to school or do you ride it on trails?
if you ride the bike to school just get a bmx bike
if you ride it on trails get a real mtn bike before you kill yourself

no point buying that bike. i know not everyone has money. i'm a broke ass. i picked up my bike used on craigslist for $100, my wife expressed interest in riding so i found her a roadmaster mtn bike on craigslist for $30. yes a walmart bike.
i paid $30 for it and to be honest i feel like i over paid. the bike is crap, but it's getting my wife out riding with me. now that we know she likes to ride we can get her a good bike.

you know you like to ride bikes so you should get a good bike
you can get a good bike used for $400. do you need full suspension or is a hardtail fine?
i think that mongoose is worth about $30-$60. i would never pay more for a bike from walmart.
and i'm a broke ass that shops at the dollar store and walmart all the time.
Congrads, best response yet :) thanks for the thought out one.

I thought the bike was pretty nice, better then the XR-250 i have now and i've beat the crap out of that on trail rides, front rim got a bit bent once.... and rear breaks don't work, but they're covered in ice right now... thats why :p

A used bike is always a possibility, i would prefer full suspension, but i'll look into some used ones, if i don't find any thing good i'll just buy the Comp and see how far it gets me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DriveByBikeShooting said:
its a safe bet that this bike is a piece of trash...

you would be better off to take the $400 bucks you are gonna spend on this and go to a real bike shop and get an entry level hardtail that will atleast have half-way decent components...

what you are looking at is a FS bike that only gets only a c-unt hair above 3 inches of travel and weighs twice what it should...

its proabably also gonna be assembled wrong and dangerous if you actually do any real mtn biking with it...

but hey... if you want some ghetto bling that will turn heads in your local trialerpark this bike is for you... if you really have any interest in biking stay away from anything that comes from walmart... atleast do your self the favor of doing some reasearch...

good luck
Actually these bikes are perfectly fine for rough road, maybe some light downhill action. I have a Mongoose Blackcomb (same type of thing as the OPs bike) and have taken it a few times on some moderate downhill trails. Granted I am not heavy (155 lbs), but the bike holds up perfectly well. I've inspected the entire bike every time after riding and no cracks, or looseness/play anywhere.

Granted, I wouldn't even THINK about taking this bike on some hardcore trails at fast speeds. The front fork just isn't cut out for serious riding... stanchions are too small.

Food for thought... the front shocks alone on these bikes are about half or more of the total cost of the bike! I kid you not... that was a little scary to me http://www.amazon.com/RST-Capa-Suspension-threaded-steerer/dp/B000FIMTE2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1263802747&sr=1-2 ... most of the Wallgooses are using the RST Capa T7 forks...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts