Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I've just built this Mongoose up really wanted a VP free, but too much money for my budget, does any one have experience of both and would it be worth me swopping over in the future, does the oracle TNC have any info ?:thumbsup:

not ridden the bike yet, its been my project over xmas, just thinking should I have waited for a VPFree to come up they are like chickens teeth to get hold of second hand :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Depends what you got planned for the bike. DH or heavy duty freeride? Then the VP is sweet, I run mine as DH race bike, run it with the shorter shock to lower the BB and its fantastic. Not sure I'd ever want to pedal it up too many hills though, even with that famous VPP linkage.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pete-G, it is my first venture into trying out some DH, not even upto racing, I tried some DH on my Heckler this summer, great fun, but I thought it might be better with a slacker set up that's made for the job, without going down the full DH bike V10 etc VP Free's just don't seem to come up very often I found one on ebay but it went for big money.
There is a downhill track 1/2 an hour away, so I won't have to travel too far, if I could find a VP free, I think most of my parts will swop straight over with luck.

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
Don't forget to check the MTBR classifieds. There is one VP Free frame available right now. I picked up my VP Free complete bike on Craigslist. In my area (SF Bay) there are two VP Free's for sale right now. Just keep looking if you really want one. I used mine over 6 weeks in the Whistler Bike Park last summer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi Jeffus, from your posts about your heckler, your in Wales aren't you? Just keep an eye on ebay would be my suggestion. I know what you mean. For most tracks in the UK this side of Fort William you don't need a 10" travel bike and a 7-8" bike with the correct geo is a far better bet. The one thing I will say against the VP for all out DH'ing is the high bb. The bike floats along over roots, rocks and jumps fine, but isn't the best cornering bike.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Pete-G, yes I'm in North Wales, the local DH isat the Foels Gas-nach
http://www.foelgasnach.co.uk/index.asp
never been so should be fun learning, I've booked a days jumps n drops course at my local trail centre, try and save some pain before I go.
Thanks for the info on the VP Free, I will keep an eye out on ebay, I suppose crashing the Mongoose will be good practice before I get the VP Free :)
I was is the Alps on my Heckler and the BB felt high there on the switch backs on the DH trails, gave it more sag to try and drop the rear end a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.