Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm probably going to order a Mongoose Ritual this week. But I'm having trouble deciding between the 2005 and 2006 models (both of which are available to my LBS). Is the Marzocchi Dirt Jam fork on the 2006 really that much better than the RST fork on this year's model...especially when the 2005 model costs $100 less?

I personally like this year's all-black paint a lot better than the sky blue for 2006. And I could always put that extra $100 toward a replacement fork of my own choosing later. I'm really just getting the bike to goof around at the skatepark when my son is skateboarding. Won't really be punishing the bike, per se, as it's been many years since I traded in my BMX ride for a mountain bike. So will I really push that RST fork past its limit?

Anyone have any experience riding both bikes and have any comments? Any compelling argument for the 2006 over the 2005?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
justwright03 said:
I'm probably going to order a Mongoose Ritual this week. But I'm having trouble deciding between the 2005 and 2006 models (both of which are available to my LBS). Is the Marzocchi Dirt Jam fork on the 2006 really that much better than the RST fork on this year's model...especially when the 2005 model costs $100 less?

I personally like this year's all-black paint a lot better than the sky blue for 2006. And I could always put that extra $100 toward a replacement fork of my own choosing later. I'm really just getting the bike to goof around at the skatepark when my son is skateboarding. Won't really be punishing the bike, per se, as it's been many years since I traded in my BMX ride for a mountain bike. So will I really push that RST fork past its limit?

Anyone have any experience riding both bikes and have any comments? Any compelling argument for the 2006 over the 2005?
RST forks have problems with viscious top out. I read a review about it, I think that was the reviewer's biggest complaint too. Oh, he also didn't like the 24s on the bike, something about the feel of it being off. I'll see if I can find the review.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After thinking about this some more and really evaluating how I was planning to ride this bike, I decided to order the 2005 Ritual and replace the stock RST fork with a DMR Trailblade rigid fork. Should be a fun bike. I'll post a review in a few months after I've put a few miles and a few flights on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.