Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Juneau is Mongoose's latest aluminum fatbike.

It sells currently for $360 shipped.

I've only seen it in one color, Pearl Neon Green.

- 21 Speed Shimano

- Fat-B-Nimble 26x4" tires

- 29" standover height on Medium frame

- 180mm Disc Brakes

- 80mm Aluminum Rims

- 31 lbs (bathroom scale)

- All the graphics are removable. This can make a bike less likely to be stolen in some areas if it's "no brand".

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything is bundled tightly together.

Fork is better protected than I've ever seen on a Mongoose product. They must have gotten tired of replacing all those bent forks, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The front Cone Nuts were so tight, you could not turn them by hand!

DO NOT RIDE THIS BIKE WITHOUT ADJUSTING THE CONE NUTS - or bearing damage will result!

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a first: there is actually a good amount of grease in the front hubs!

I'd still recommend that you clean out the factory grease, clean out any metal flakes, chips or crud, and completely refill the hubs with Marine Grease.

Marine Grease resists water, is blue (you guys know how you like blue grease), and is $4 for a giant "grease gun" tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here you can see the retaining ring removed, the bearings removed, and the hub wiped clean of any old grease.

You can put the ball bearings into a jar of Paint Thinner and swish them around a few times to remove all the old grease and crud.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here the cleaned Ball Bearings are seated in a bed of Marine Grease.

The grease will hold them in place. Make sure you put all 9 of them back in.

Bury all the bearings completely in grease. Really pack it in, because the grease is the only thing keeping water from entering the bearing races.

Then put the seals back and reassemble the axle and cone-nuts.

If you have never adjusted the cone-nut tension, here is the step-by-step from another thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ir...me-bike-after-all-1017417-2.html#post12745457

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next remove the fork.

All the little parts that stack up on the fork are easy for a beginner to mix up. Pull them off in order, and take a picture of them. No one was ever sorry that they did this.

Here is a great example of why you need to clean and repack all the bearings; 2 chips of steel were caught up in the lower fork bearing.

Not little pieces of tinfoil, but thick, sharp chips.

Wipe out all the old grease, clean off chips and old grease from the bearing cages by soaking in Paint Thinner.

Repack with Marine Grease to keep water out.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next we want to remove the aluminum crank arms, and put some No-Ox grease between the Aluminum frame and the BB Spindle assembly.

When different metals are going to be in contact with each other and are going to be exposed to moisture, No-Ox keeps them from permanently seizing together.

If you have never removed a BB before, here are step-by-step directions:

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/argus-fat-bike-masses-review-assembly-1019867.html#post12776414

Here is the Spindle, Fei Min brand :

Attachments

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
Nice Job so far. Bike should work well being set up properly.

I had my 907 powder coated almost that exact same color.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sadly, your time so far , in terms of a $USD hourly rate has probably already surpassed the cost to produce the whole bike in China

1 - 20 of 75 Posts