Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
I like Fireball, the whiskey.

As for the bike, it's a dirt-jump bike. If that's what you want, it doesn't look too bad. Not too great, but it'll work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm into XC but I'm new to this area so I haven't tried the trails. I've had lots of experience on trails in other parts of Florida. I'm all over the place because I've been searching CL for a bike instead of getting something from walmart.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,603 Posts
I'm into XC but I'm new to this area so I haven't tried the trails. I've had lots of experience on trails in other parts of Florida. I'm all over the place because I've been searching CL for a bike instead of getting something from walmart.
The bikes you have been looking at would be absolutely terrible on Florida singletrack trails. You want something with 29" wheels, 80-100mm of travel with no rear suspension. Like this bike: X-Caliber 5 - Trek Bicycle.
And it costs less than that DH bike (Jamis) you were looking at.

·
29ers Forever
3,603 Posts

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
You can search CL without being all over the place.
Both bikes selected would be horrible for XC.

There are some pretty decent trails in Central Florida but I see you are in Miami now. I don't know of anything in Miami that would make me want an actual mountain bike.
Assuming that you are set on an actual mountain bike though, I would look at a hard tail 29er. I also would not rule out a cyclocross bike if you don't plan on occasionally traveling at least to places like Santos. I would also go single speed. I mean seriously why would anyone want gears down there?

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I live in Gainesville now.
Ok, when it comes to mountain biking that makes a huge difference and actually makes sense to get a mountain bike.

Go see the guys over at Greenway Bikes in Ocala.
I know it is a little bit of a drive but they are excellent people and will take good care of you.

Greenway Bicycles and Retro City Cycles

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
You can search CL without being all over the place.
Both bikes selected would be horrible for XC.

There are some pretty decent trails in Central Florida but I see you are in Miami now. I don't know of anything in Miami that would make me want an actual mountain bike.
Assuming that you are set on an actual mountain bike though, I would look at a hard tail 29er. I also would not rule out a cyclocross bike if you don't plan on occasionally traveling at least to places like Santos. I would also go single speed. I mean seriously why would anyone want gears down there?
Dont make me put soap in your mouth Kirk, Miami has a few great MTB destinations.
Amelia Earhart, Markam, and Oleta.

I have never ridden them, but I have walked some of them and they looked very fun.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Ok, when it comes to mountain biking that makes a huge difference and actually makes sense to get a mountain bike.

Go see the guys over at Greenway Bikes in Ocala.
I know it is a little bit of a drive but they are excellent people and will take good care of you.

Greenway Bicycles and Retro City Cycles
This is good advice. Having lived and ridden in and around Gainesville for 10 years, you probably want a HT 29 with 100mm and single speed. 32:17 will cover any riding Florida has to offer and still give you enough speed on the flats.

IMO the absolute perfect bike in FL is a Surly Karate Monkey or similar. Get steel to numb the roots a bit, keep it a HT for efficiency, no need for gears in FL. I actually ran my Monkey rigid while we lived there. It was a hoot!

Also, get in with the guys at Mr. Goodbike. They do group rides on the Gainesville trails so it's a good way to learn the trails and meet people. Just don't show up with one of those funny hangy down thingys or gears....

·
29ers Forever
3,603 Posts
I'm going to look at some bikes tonight any thoughts on the 29er Raleigh Talus?
The Talus is another good bike to look at. However, Raleigh is a bike company that focuses on road bikes and makes mountain bikes because there is a market for them. Only buy the Raleigh if it fits well and feels right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.