Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm obviously new to the forum, but have used it as a source of information for a while. Just purchased a 29" Mongoose Deception and read or tried to read up on it here. I guess it degenerated into a nightmare for administrators because of the political and other non-related (off-topic) posts that intimidated a lot of people from even asking questions.
I have owned many bikes in my life and some were $2000 and some were yard sale purchases for $5. I hope i can get some real information about the.....say, 3 or 4 most important things to upgrade or replace in order to make the bike last a little longer and also be more durable which = happiness.
I live in Florida and don't ride trails (yet) nor do we have mountains to fly down or struggle up and I usaully just want to go fast and be able to pop over a median or curb when necessary.
I have a Haro that was purchased used and the previous owner put a lot of money into it and i know many of the components are good if not REALLY good. Unfortunately I needed new tires and tubes, a tune up, and was going to purchase some cool aesthetic/ergonomic upgrades when i noticed a major crack in the frame. Enter the $200 Mongoose Deception. I hate Wal-Mart as much as anyone and avoid it unless absolutely necessary. So please don't give me any of that rhetoric. I support my local bike store or LBS and the staff is great. In fact the guy there said the mongoose wasn't so bad as long as i bring it in to him after i get it to do the check over. I'm going to do this soon but I just hope some of the more knowledgeable people out there can help me out without starting the mayhem that ensued in the previous forums that sort of addressed this.
Also, anyone who bought a bike, whether it's 26 or 20" from wal-mart or a garage sale or whatever could hopefully post here and get an idea from people in the know.

So far what i like: 2 disc brakes, high altitude visibility, and looks kind of cool.

What i don't like: Mysterious sounds and what those might lead to. (hence this thread)

I have a thick skin and can handle, re-form, and hurl any insults thrown my way. It's the other people that I don't want to feel dumped on and insulted just because they are poor or don't ride in the Tour de France every year. my spelling and articulation skills are rusty but i can deal. It's like riding a bike.
So please help me and anyone else out here and start with the most important least expensive, then most important more expensive. (already replaced seat and grips, handlebar is next)
I'll throw some pics in of the Goose and Haro and their respective components later, I gotta go run to work.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Getting your friend at the LBS to look it over is probably the best thing you can do. Most of the time department store bikes are assembled by a high school kid with no wrenching skills or a half drunk middle age man who hasn't rode a bike since 100lbs. ago.

As far as upgrades... sure a new crank with external bearing bottom bracket would last infinitely longer than the stock one. But I'm not sure how to justify spending $150 on a crank for a $200 bike. Just doesn't make sense. Most big brands i.e. Giant, Specialized, Trek, etc. make bikes from $400 to $5000+

You are way better off just using your upgrade money along with the $200 you already spent to buy a low end $500 bike from the shop. They will already be built better and worthy of some small upgrades.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Since you already purchased the Deception, fix/upgrade as things break. The frame on the deception is okay, not spectacular, but you already guessed that. Stock fork kinda sucks but I'd think about a steel rigid fork to replace it with, kinda like the Walmart Impasse setup they had for awhile. Or, pull whatever is in good order from your Haro. Or, or, start saving for a good frame and transfer the Haro kit to that and have 2 bikes. And yes, have your shop wrench give it a once over, maybe a twice over :D

Check out this site. Started by a guy who was a little put off by the whole locked/binned Deception thread. http://www.bigboxbikes.com/

·
Banned
773 Posts
I would rather see my sister working in a cat house than see a brother on a Walgoose. Get your money back , with that and your upgrade money you could buy a decent bike .

·
Registered
72 Posts
kubikeman said:
Getting your friend at the LBS to look it over is probably the best thing you can do. Most of the time department store bikes are assembled by a high school kid with no wrenching skills or a half drunk middle age man who hasn't rode a bike since 100lbs. ago.
+1 on this.

You already spent the money on this bike, so buying a new frame is probably somewhere down the road. It is what it is. If you're just cruising around town, it should hopefully last a little while at least. If something breaks, replace it with some of your Haro parts. When you get some more bread saved start looking at a new (or used) frame.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Take the bike apart, lube everything, put it back together with all bolts toqued to spec. This bike was probably assembled by the same buy that builds the BBQ's and mowers. First off, you don't want to gamble with your safety. Secondly, if something is loose or not lubed it's liable to wear out faster and/or be impossible to remove after a season of dirty rides. I'd not spend any money replacing parts unless they break, it's just not worth it. Save that money for your next bike or consumables like tires, tubes, chain lube, etc. And if it starts to fall apart, just sell it and move on.

If the bike works for you then ride and enjoy! I could say plenty about what bike would have been better but it isn't my money nor my choice. Everyone eventually figures out what works for them and what level of bike suits them and their riding the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow....thanks for quick responses !

I really appreciate it one and all. i go to take a shower and already like 5 posts! My Haro never had a front suspension that moved, so any movement is nice and one thing i will say about wal-mart is that i can beat it up for 89 days then return it. when i take it to LBS I'll probably have the entire shifter/derailers transfered over and the Deception (does it merit a capital "C"?) has what appear to be plastic cranks (where the pedals go) sorry i'm not more knowledgeable. My Haro has Shimano STX-RC rear and Deore LX (front/middle/big wheel?) de-railers and the handle bars are ...i can only see (Tektro brake levers in the way) ...NO with SYSTEM underneath and an eagle logo and Kalloy on them. Suntour Power Ring MD crankset. will check more later.

Are the Innova or whatever tires decent?

Also found at a Thrift store: 2 Cannondale saddlebags one double sided red with hard plastic inserts with springs and a black one that looks like it might go up front with 2 long elastic loops.

Found in a drawer a new Shimano CS-M760 C1 type-as 8 ring sprocket but i think that's for something else. (cassette system maybe?)
don't know if that's any good but you guys are awesome!

Haro forks are RST 380 Adjustable Elastomer but they never worked, wonder if i can do anything with them?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'm about to retire my big box bike after about 5 years, 10,000+km (including plenty of singletrack), and daily commuting through two canadian winters .

The repairs/replacements I've had to make:

Chains
Cables
Tires
Cassette
Crank (I wore out the middle chainring last winter, but since the rings are riveted I had to replace the whole thing)
Bottombracket (the spindle was some weird size that would just not fit any other square-taper crank)
Headset (probably my own fault for not doublechecking the adjustment, or using fenders)
A bunch of spokes on the rear wheel (the rear wheel undeniably sucks)

I just waited for stuff to break because I didn't know any better, and then went online to figure out what tools and parts I needed from the LBS. The internet is a wonderful thing. And there's also a community bike shop in town where I could do the trickier stuff like the headset install.

The bike's retirement is probably going to be temporary. I figure I'll probably make it into an ss with drop bars the next time I order some stuff online.

edited to add: so my bigboxbike was a great gateway-bike into the world of cycling. But I do vastly prefer riding my still-pretty-low-end Giant.

·
Registered
132 Posts
highdelll said:
what about just buying a decent frame?
your a bigger troll then me how did you make it to 11k post?

the troll is right though if you can return the bike and buy a frame. you can get a cheap frame from jenson/pricepoint/wheelworld. pretty much every component on your mongoose is garbage... wait i ment the entire bike is garbage :) . kind of odd that you say you have been around these forums and still go out and buy a mongoose

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always used this forum in regards to a repair issue or for ID purposes. never for looking for new bike. But i read the 29er stuff after i got the bike. still would have bought it. problem is that when you need your bike every day, you can't afford to wait or comb the classifieds. i literally walked to wally world which is about a mile away(from any point in the USA also). I really wish that i Had seen that axcess frame though. that's a great store.

I got a stupid question with more to follow I'm sure...What is Singletrack?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
FreeGravey said:

the troll is right though if you can return the bike and buy a frame. you can get a cheap frame from jenson/pricepoint/wheelworld. pretty much every component on your mongoose is garbage... wait i ment the entire bike is garbage :) . kind of odd that you say you have been around these forums and still go out and buy a mongoose
Hey now, Mongoose makes some nice bikes, they just are not sold at walmart. We call those Walgoose bikes around here:thumbsup:

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
FreeGravey said:

what the **** are you talking about?
I made it to 11k post by not trolling - sure alot of my posts are OT, goofball, responses to arguments - but I don't 'troll' :rolleyes:
But alot are helpful, or inquisitive - like the above post I made.
(well, maybe in the 29er forum I do when people ask what seat is best for their 29er, or what grips, bottle cage etc - that board is just askin for it ;) )

Yeah, I got into it on the other Deception thread - maybe even helped (inadvertently) get it sent to the bin with WM practices - but, speaking the truth about stuff ruffles feathers around here sometimes.
I'm not here to argue - just pointed out a VERY reasonable solution.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
dolandesign said:
thanks. i do that for about 15 feet between sidewalks! highdell what kind of keyboard you ride? my math has you at about 375 posts a month or 12.5 a day. good stuff.
Key Tronic 420

It's easy to do 12.5 posts a day - it takes less than 30 seconds usually per post...

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.