Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1131 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started another thread ( http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/walmart-mongoose-beast-sucks-846569.html ) hoping that it would be about the bike itself and modifying the bike. It didn't work. I'm going to try again.

I knew what I was getting into, and I'm glad I bought my Beast. I'm not saying it is an awful bike. My premise is that the bike is close to unrideable in its stock form. It's way too heavy and the gearing is way too hard. The bike will be modified! This ought to be fun!

Let's keep this thread to discussions about the bike!

How have you modified your Beast? What parts did you use? How much weight did you save? Got any pictures?

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
Mine doesn't arrive until next week ... But if no one has done so by then, I'll throw up any and every number I can think of as they relate to sizes, geometry, and weight (to the limits of my scale).

Tires = Already have a set of Origin8 Devist8er's on the way, and I'll give an impression of them, also ... But must admit that I can only compare them a standard width MTB tires that I have ridden, so it won't be a proper comparison.

My intention is to ride it for a bit, and sort things out, but am thinking along the lines of widening a set of disc capable hubs Al La Sryanak's method - http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/widening-hub-832387.html#post10049212

Then coming up with appropriate mounts for the calipers, and investigating at the same time, what a triple chainring might do for things.

The basic idea being that as many components as possible be taken from the junk box, or salvaged off an as yet to be found donor bike.

It will never be ultra-high-tech and modern, but what I buy today is usually soon outdated, anyway.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I started another thread ( http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/walmart-mongoose-beast-sucks-846569.html ) hoping that it would be about the bike itself and modifying the bike. It didn't work. I'm going to try again.

I knew what I was getting into, and I'm glad I bought my Beast. I'm not saying it is an awful bike. My premise is that the bike is close to unrideable in its stock form. It's way too heavy and the gearing is way too hard. The bike will be modified! This ought to be fun!

Let's keep this thread to discussions about the bike!

How have you modified your Beast? What parts did you use? How much weight did you save? Got any pictures?

Can you post pics of the bottom bracket?

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
Weights

Tire 1........2821g
Tire 2........2785g

F.Wheel.....1846g
R.Wheel.....2713g

Tube 1.......743g
Tube 2.......750g

Rim Strips...95g/ea

Bar+Grips...671g

Post.........449g
Seat... who cares

Crank.....1180g

Pedals......379g

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmmm, this is interesting.

Sounds like the rim weighs less than 1300 grams and maybe somewhere as low as 1250 grams before drilling. Not too bad considering the very thin walled Flattop 100s were about 1130 before drilling and heck even the Uma 90s are about 1080 grams even with the lightening holes.

That WAG is based on the assumption that 36 spokes (14 gauge straight) weigh about 240 grams for typical fat wheel lengths of about 260 mm and cheap brass nipples weigh about a gram a piece, and an aluminum 135 front hub weighs in the 240ish gram range but this relies on solid steel axles so add another 50 grams. Total 566 grams.

·
Registered
256 Posts
750 gram tubes!!!:eekster::eekster::eekster:

And I thought that my OEM On-One Fatty tubes were made of lead at 600 grams each!;)

It will be an easy and cheap upgrade to go to Q-tubes at about 300 grams each.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With a tube like that i say you just glue the tube to the rim like a sew up and run it sans tire.

Could be the new trend. Forget tubeless, I'm biking tireless-ly.

·
1,711 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I plan on ordering some Devistater tires as well...
Also gotta get a smaller chainring...
Ordered a threaded to threadless adapter..

I also have access to a tig welder.
Just might slacken up the front and shorten the rear...

WTF it's a $200 bike....

1 - 20 of 1131 Posts