Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to build skinnies. Would the 2x2's would be less expensive over all for the rungs or would the 2x4's be the way to go. I got some 4x4's
for the supports, which i already buried into the ground. Im looking to spend around $50 or so
any help would be awsome.

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
Find a local place that is getting rid of pallets. 90% of the time they're free, or like $5 for as many as you want to take. You can rip them up and build whatever you want out of them.

Local warehouses often have them, often manufacturing places do as well. Ask around. Ask the local dump.

·
Registered
43 Posts
binary visions said:
Find a local place that is getting rid of pallets. 90% of the time they're free, or like $5 for as many as you want to take. You can rip them up and build whatever you want out of them.

Local warehouses often have them, often manufacturing places do as well. Ask around. Ask the local dump.
A new law was recently passed requiring all international shipping pallets to be certified. There should be tons of non-certified pallets for free or cheap, just check your local manufacturing plants.

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
Mike627 said:
A new law was recently passed requiring all international shipping pallets to be certified. There should be tons of non-certified pallets for free or cheap, just check your local manufacturing plants.
See that's good stuff right there. I didn't know that.

We do lots of international shipping from the medical device manufacturer I work at, wonder if they'll be getting rid of a lot of pallets? Hmm...

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
Dude, we use 2x4s, brace them with two seven inch pieces and use cedar fencing ($.99 for 4 feet) for the decking (we cut the cedar in ten inch sections and throw away the decorative ends, about 4"). The cedar fencing seems to weather well and is alot cheaper than using two by fours. On landing ramps, we will use two by four 7 inch sections to brace the cedar pieces.

Here is a picture of a semi-portable 5' high section we practice on now:

We have got about 6 8' sections (including a landing ramp) that cost us about $160 to build. We had to use alot of 2x4s (which are about $3 a pop) to make them sturdy on grass and asphalt. So you might be able to do the same thing without supports for under $100... maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts