Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hi Mav, Yeah that wets the whistle pretty much.

We might take you up on some of your offers there mate.

We've been to Roto before and have done Taupo and Moerangi as well.

We'd love to check out some of the "local" Roto trails though. In the past we have done Sesame street and we know there is more to it.

Anyway, thanks for the tip re doing 440 from a Roto base. We might set down in Roto and then day trip 440, makes accommodation a little easier.

We shall talk soon.

Cheers

W

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Cool, thanks Mav.

We might tee up a shuttle from Roto to 440 then. We are coming in March (long way off I know - but with wives, you need to give them time huh), and to confirm, we all have booked our flights - see you over there soon enough.

Yeah the weather has been nuts here, the best couple of montsh of riding weather ever - cool dry and easy riding. Not much sighting of winter here yet.

Cheers
W

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Cool, thanks Mav.

We might tee up a shuttle from Roto to 440 then. We are coming in March (long way off I know - but with wives, you need to give them time huh), and to confirm, we all have booked our flights - see you over there soon enough.

Yeah the weather has been nuts here, the best couple of montsh of riding weather ever - cool dry and easy riding. Not much sighting of winter here yet.

Cheers
W
No worries mate, sounds awesome, we have had storms rain winds of the like not seen for a few years, but our riding is still off the hook, I maintain a few of our black diamond trails here, I cleared up two tracks, I am the adoptee for, just cutting back ferns to let light and air flow into the track during our winter period, keeps the debris down and the tracks dry this time of year and minimum erosion and after a week of stormy weather it's running pretty good, now its mint perfect ground is tacky grippy bike stays dry no mud, so be off to ride today.

By time you get here you probably will have a carbon Foxy aye, our bike park and 440 will have even more tracks by then too and so will we, so it will be quiet different since ya last visit sure we can show you some back country epic for the Foxy to plus give the women plenty to do and keep them very happy will you're skiving off ridin, lol

Keep us updated on ya bike progression updates buddy:thumbsup:

Like my FB large to stay updated by buddy.
cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi guys,

i took the plunge and went for a foxy xr carbon frame set in extra large (i did a few test rides before i committed!!), running pikes up front, 30mm stem with 740mm bars, xt 1x10 drivetrain, superstar tactic am wheels and zee brakes...couldn't be happier!!

it absolutely rips; the first time i hit the trails it definitely felt a bit different but really really fast and confidence inspiring!!

thanks for your help!

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
hi guys,

i took the plunge and went for a foxy xr carbon frame set in extra large (i did a few test rides before i committed!!), running pikes up front, 30mm stem with 740mm bars, xt 1x10 drivetrain, superstar tactic am wheels and zee brakes...couldn't be happier!!

it absolutely rips; the first time i hit the trails it definitely felt a bit different but really really fast and confidence inspiring!!

thanks for your help!
Awesome Alex, def worth taking time to get used to, but I also found while very different I was already riding faster from the get go the adj was as much to the speed, amazing cornering ability, pop jump over anything, no bike Ive ever ridden jumps like these things its amazing.
They are unique which is what I like, with so many SC, Pivots, just turns me off, great bikes and brands but same.

I should qualify, Im riding a Dune XR, Summun Pro Team, my mate is on a Dune base both bad ass!
I will run both the 10mm and 30mm stem, I guide as a business and race Enduro/DH and rep (RoyalRacing/Mondraker bikes) so big bases to cover. im going to setup the 30mm stem though with a high rise carbon bar, probably a 40mm Rentahl carbon DH, reason is i like my stack high
but running the 10mm stem means you need to cut yohr steerer enough to get it low enough to be balanced and have enough steerer tube to run the 30mm stem and have a clamping surface so beware .

Only thing with specc on complete models, that is disapointing is Fox and Formula.

Icemans base Dune with Monarch Plus R is way way better than my Float X factory fit
shock and RC fork was better than the 34 Float /14 and 15 variants by along way.
CTD for me is crap, the Float sits too low in its travel, is too busy, the Monarch is plush
soft off top yet supportive and dam fast to ride,
I dont get pedal strikes on the Monarch! FloatX has cost me some time and
nearly some bad crashes, 34 well its a good fork since they improved it, but its not a Pike!

This was our setup at a recent event we raced at, as a team for 10hrs, all shuttled up and
mandatory runs/ trails and DH courses to tick off each lap, half being Enduro and half DH.
Then after these boxes are checked you do as many runs as possible on what ever bike
track you want, so stuffed now though, tiday is the day after.

We never suffered a mechanical and I felt better as the day went on, got mentally tired
towards the end but body felt good, usually both go, so can only attribute this to the bikes
as I have done this event and trails many times.

Cant wait to the Foxy carbons arrive we have a container on the water now!

Event 10hrs riding Mondraker/Royal

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am curious how the 10mm stem performs compared to the 30mm. For the 30mm, you may actually need to go a frame size down. I wish there was a Mondraker dealer in the US so I could actually compare these things. If anyone has some feedback on the 10mm stem, I'd love to hear it; particularly if there are any handling quirks from it.

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
I am curious how the 10mm stem performs compared to the 30mm. For the 30mm, you may actually need to go a frame size down. I wish there was a Mondraker dealer in the US so I could actually compare these things. If anyone has some feedback on the 10mm stem, I'd love to hear it; particularly if there are any handling quirks from it.
I have both, when im guiding the 30mm is preferable as allot of backcountry climbing and long day in the saddle, for my general riding 5mins from town where these piccs are taken, Im loving the 10mm stem.

Climbing fireroads is easier than my old bike with a 50mm stem but on the way down, holyshitballs its fun.

The way I describe it, like a DH bike going down and a long travel XC bike going up, uphill switch backs have never been so easy and this bike has
1232mm = 48 1⁄2in, online site is incorrect btw, typo mistake on Mondrakers website and catalogue.

No handling quirks for me, but it took me a couple of runs to dial it in, it does feel different initally, more so going down because its so responsive, and you are foing so much faster and entering corners quicker, its easy to ride over the back like old style and unweight the front, this is a mistake, ride center like you should or even aggressive on the front and the traciton, grip is insane, cornering will freak you out, you will flinch before the bikes does.

My buddy followed me down a trail today, demoing the Red base model, btw he now wants one, I was full drift into switch backs, he said I was corneing at speed, like Ivan Mauger, speedway style he is a NZ speedway legend and a 13 time World Speedway champion, I took that as a pretty big compliment, esspecially since Ive never done that before on this trail.

Even then I was clipping back in and accelrating out of the corners effortlessly and amazed mysefl with the pace, the Zero loss linkage is way smoother than any DWL link bike Ive ridden, what I have come off, with a DH air shock too.

Interestingly enough the demo rider on the medium said at the end of the trail he would likely choose the 10mm stem over the 30, this surprised me maybe it was how I was riding in front of him or what he felt when he had a quick spin on mine and liked the feel, many do not like the look, but it really works.

The other thing mainly re the bike is its so responsive yet smooth, it smooths out trail that my DWL bike never could or did and I have very good suspension front and rear, it just boosts over jumps yet you can pedal through stuff other bikes would bounce
lose traction over and actually lose control, just so impressed.

Just forget what it looks like, but do be careful, to run the 10mm stem and get the stack height right means you need to cut the steerer down,,
Otherwise you wont be able to switch between the too stems, the 10mm stack adj requires you remove the bar as well, I will likely run a 40mm Renthal DH carbon bar when using the 30mm stem to maintain my preferred bar height, the 39mm is slammed in the headset with mine when I swap out.

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Awesome Maverick! That makes me excited, lol. Have you ridden a Foxy yet? If so, how does it compare to the Dune?
Not allot of time, like the Foxy too, cant wait to try a new Carbon Foxy that really interests me, though not keen on all the remote stuff shock fork, not needed when you have a decent damper and I like unclutter, bit oldschool, keeping it simple, bike wise this is how Ive wanted bikes for the last 20years, I came from a Motox BMX background, so these bikes are exactly what Ive been preaching for all that time haha.

I can only imagine the Foxy would be a shorter travel version of the Dune, snappy, the Dune is snappy and very light to ride, even the base model, the dude currently rides a pimped out Transition Covert and kept saykng how light the base model rides, which has heavy wheels and components, we are pimping it out with a Raceface narrow wide 32t front ring, e13 42t in the rear on a 10spd Sram cassette, X9 clutch Rd and SLX brakes, bars are acutally a nice bend, and love the OnOff grips.

BTW OnOff Sheild pedals are super sick too.
Pedals | ONOFF Components 2013

Foxy will be sick as, I also ride a Summun Pro Team, man that thing is insane, insanely fast ,insanely fun, insanely insane, never ridden a DH bike like it, I clear stuff I struggled on my V10c without trying and amkn the gass before I land, its so stable upon landing, pedal out of corners.
Got to be careful though I've nearly clipped my pedals on the ground a few times as low BB, Dune the same, I will likely put 170mm RaceFace Next SLs on, just for added clearance.

I should stop highjacking Wills thread put up a new one once Ive changed a few bits out.

Just living these bikes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Haha, yeah, thanks man! You've given me great information. I can't wait to get one of these bikes myself. I was looking at those pedals as well. They are actually made by a company called HT components.

PM me the link to your own thread if you make one. ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Wow a carbon Foxy, mate you have reached the pinnacle right there. Congratulations alex, show us a picture when you can.

Ride it and get in the groove, it will amaze you some more.

Go steeper than you have ever done as well, it's soo confident.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Those Dunes look awesome Maverick. I have a soft spot for the green one, I reckon that looks very smart. It was a toss up between a green Dune and a Foxy for me, but the Foxy suited my at home trails better. And as it is super capable, it is fine for my NZ riding to.

I have just upgraded my Pike with some French valving and it is a completely new fork (not that it was bad, I was just servicing and experimenting you might say) - off the charts good actually. I can knock out 10 psi and still have better mid support. It is a super fork now and the bike has stepped up some more for me. The front grip and feel is enhanced and on known trails I'm arriving at features so much quicker than before - it's like trail chatter makes it faster now. Can't wait to take this one to NZ.

Anyway, myself and some buddies are still on for NZ, as I have said, we have booked the flights, so see you in March if your available. We'll firm up some arrangements closer to.

Cheers

W

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Those Dunes look awesome Maverick. I have a soft spot for the green one, I reckon that looks very smart. It was a toss up between a green Dune and a Foxy for me, but the Foxy suited my at home trails better. And as it is super capable, it is fine for my NZ riding to.

I have just upgraded my Pike with some French valving and it is a completely new fork (not that it was bad, I was just servicing and experimenting you might say) - off the charts good actually. I can knock out 10 psi and still have better mid support. It is a super fork now and the bike has stepped up some more for me. The front grip and feel is enhanced and on known trails I'm arriving at features so much quicker than before - it's like trail chatter makes it faster now. Can't wait to take this one to NZ.

Anyway, myself and some buddies are still on for NZ, as I have said, we have booked the flights, so see you in March if your available. We'll firm up some arrangements closer to.

Cheers

W

Cheers man such awesome bikes am blown away, unlike anything Ive ever owned or ridden, ridden allot of sick bikes, and mines not even pimped out yet.

Foxy is sick mate, best to ride what suits your home trails, you can easily choose wither here, Dune is so much fun, unlike any 27.5" bike Ive ridden to date or any bike, yet everyone who rides it says it feels natural.

Keen to hear more and how I can do this valving tune to the Pike, that sounds awesome dude ,let us know who how what haha.

Yep have you guys all dotted in for that time period so I will have your backs, and make it a trip of a lifetime, we have so much new stuff happening its off the hooks. News trails completed, check out below links to vids, sic as super tech, Katatore has been open for a few months now top of Billy T to Blue lake and prob my fav run, swim at the end in the thermal lake, stunning in summer, March here peak summer, so u guys will love it.

2 more stages are planned for further track development so maybe even more tracks will be built by then too.

Be awesome mate.
let us know when closer to time, month or so maybe even earlier Jan as it will be busy here, gets busier every year, I can sort out pickup drop offs, run you guys where eve, accommodation etc to suit what ever you need,don't be afraid to make use of local knowledge to meet your needs even if you been here before, just tell me what you want need, if ya want.

Bikepark opening next month
Skyline Rotorua Mountain Biking | Open Times | Things to do in Rotorua

Kung Fu Walrus
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152520118041348&id=100000179690063

New trail, yet to be completed and named.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=769608476393158&id=135451396475539

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi folks,

Looking at getting a Foxy. Anyone seen a size guide. I'm 5f 11 - nearly 6ft with MTB shoes on. Just wondering what size frame to get. Currently riding a medium yeti asr5 but with a layback post and 90mm stem which is spot on.

Any advice would be apprecaited

Cheers

oli

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Hi folks,

Looking at getting a Foxy. Anyone seen a size guide. I'm 5f 11 - nearly 6ft with MTB shoes on. Just wondering what size frame to get. Currently riding a medium yeti asr5 but with a layback post and 90mm stem which is spot on.

Any advice would be apprecaited

Cheers

oli
Hi Oli, my 2c here,

Im the same height, I ride a large Dune and a Large Summun btw.

Ive ridden the Yeti 575 not an ASR in medium with a 80mm stem fully pimped XTR model for a day a few years back for me way too short, did not enjoy that day at all.

Ive also ridden the Medium Dune!

Medium Mondraker Foxy or Dune, with the std 30mm FG stem feels very good for me, Imcould ride a medium happily, which is something I cant do on non FG bikes, that said Imthinkmit caomes down to how you ride and you need to be jonest to yourself anyone on this.

I love the large and riding both back to back no way would I choose the medium over the large, the more I ride it the more fun and more benefits I find with the Mondraker philosophy of wheelbase, zero loss suspension design and fwd Geo esspecially with the short stem.

Nkw Ive always always been looking for something like this ever since I started riding mtb back in the 90s, im a Downhiller, Moto guy, whomdid road road, XC, endurance in middle part of my career, but always came back to this, explain this as, I havent seen you ride, where you ride and dont know you personality, all things i think are important to a bike choice and believe it or not sizing.

If you are the style of rider like most, who jump on a bike, rarely check settings, dont crae if your brake levers are out by a mm etc then Medium and a 30mm will be sweet.

If you are like me, notice when, 2 psi is missing in your fork the moment you throw a leg over, brake lever is moved or someone has touched your rebound by one click, ride aggressive, ride down a trail looking flr things to boost off while everyone ride the main line, go large, choose both the 10mm FG stem and a 30mm FG stem and go play the smile will hurt after a few hours.
with this setup if building a frame Id also consider 170mm cranks over 175mm, reason is I find myself pedalling more aggressive than I have on any other bike setup, out of corners over crap because the bike is so responsive, the rear is so good that the traction to pedal when others are breaking traction is so great, I'm clipping things more often, sag is correct too.

Having ridden the base model Dune specced with Pike RC and Monarch R
both the fork and shock especially is superior in every way over the Fox Factory ctd Float X and Fork this isn't even a debate, I have had 3 others ride these bikes back to back and they all say the same thing, man that thing feels great, but I prefer the shock on the red bike.

Specs guys/gals,imo for Foxy or Dune

170mm cranks over 175mm
Try both stems one as a backup, 10/30mm FGs
Monarch Plus rear shock over FloatX if possible
Ditch the Formula Brakes, or building up don't buy Formulas

Oli the other thing is normally Geo numbers give some idea how a bike will behave, Mondraker (thank you Fabian Barrel) have really got this dialled and imo/e have cottoned onto something subtle ground breaking in MTB design

I hope this helps some.
I reckon you should go large, it would be a mistake and ruin the bike imo to run layback post and long stem kn this bike

Btw is it a Carbon Foxy! That would be sick.

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Also, I have had the same experience with the DH rig the Summun

Normally a longer wheelbase might mean slower turning, less responsive bike, harder to manual wheelie, jump etc, not here, its the exact opposite, Ive never had so much fun on a bike, last night I was doing some scouting for our club Maintenance day with a trail adoptee to work out what she wanted to work on with the volunteers, its a easy intermediate trail Green, and I was riding old lines that were off the edge of the track from years back currently covered by ferns etc, boosting drops, wheeling through corners between Redwoods, popping manuals etc I had a blast.

My good friend who imports Mondraker who Will has met, rides a large XR Foxy and a medium Summun, he thought I was mad to ride a large Summun but thankfully my gut instinct proved right and I choose correctly, the large Summun is just as much a beast and fun to ride as the Dune.

We have a Blue trail locals call Jumps trail right beside our DH track, Little Red riding huck s1 and s2 Huckleberry Hound, when I say jumps its a Foxy Dune type MTB trail, Will would have ridden it which is pretty fun, my first ride on the Summun was down here, after 3 corners in I just went for it the beast slayed corners like Ive never ridden them before, coming off a large V10c I have never been able to do this the way the Summun shredded them and its over an inch and a half longer in reach and wheelbase than my V10c was.

No where is the V10 a match for this beast and Ive found the same with the Dune.

Check out this cid of the jumps trail. Foxy with 160mm will love this, Dune slays it.

Video: Little Red Riding Huck - Rotorua, New Zealand - Pinkbike

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've seen that video before! That trail looks awesome! The Giant Trance 27.5 in there is what I am riding now. I'm just not quite happy enough with it. So I plan to sell it and build up a Mondraker Foxy XR. Yes, I also think I'm gonna go with a 170mm crank this time. And yes, Fox shocks and forks seem to be pretty bad. I'm getting my ideal spec together and will probably build it over the winter. I'm so excited!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a pic of my Foxy Carbon, I've got a few tweaks to make but really happy so far...this thing absolutely rips!!

Full spec...
Foxy Carbon XR Frameset (size XL)
Rockshox Pike RTC3 Solo Air 160mm
Fox Float CTD Remote LV Boost Valve Factory Kashima 200x57mm
Shimano Zee Brakes
Shimano Zee rear shifter
Shimano XT 1x10 drivetrain with Race Face 32T narrow wide chainring
XT Shadow+ rear mech
Shimano DX pedals (not pictured)
Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper post
Selle Italia Saddle
Renthal Fatbar Carbon Lite 740mm bars
Stoic OnOff 30mm stem
Superstar Tactic rims with Tesla Evo Hubs
Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Rocket Ron
Superstar SuperGrippa grips

I think thats all...loving it so far

Oli / anyone interested...i've recently spent hours trawling the internet and collating peoples opinions on sizing and now i'm a foxy owner i thought i'd throw mine in!!

...at 5'11/6ft i reckon a Large will suit but thats just my initial thought...i'm 6'1.5" ish / 188cm and have an XL with a 30mm stem, 740mm bars with the saddle set in the middle of its fore/aft travel, i was torn between the L and XL for a while and could have probably got away with a L but i've ridden bikes that have been too small for me before and have suffered because of it...the reach/ett etc of the XL Foxy was nearly exactly the same as my old bike which fitted like a glove so if you have any sort of reference i.e. an old bike that fits well, trust the numbers, it worked for me plus i had the luxury of test riding both sizes so i could make sure i was right before i committed.

this bike feels so good - really light and snappy, it jumps, manuals and pops so much better than anything else i've ridden, i can't pin a single negative to the long wheel base/forward geometry, there are only positives.

i've heard guys that will say a slightly smaller bike will feel lighter and more chuckable and i don't disagree but given the choice i'd definitely aim for bike that fits bang on...like i said i reckon i could have squeezed onto a Large but would've regretted it in the long run...just my opinion!!

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Cheer boys.

Its great when some fellow riders spare some time to share a few thoughts so thanks. I have the possiblity of a large Foxy XR that has come up for sale (not local to me unfortuntaley) with a set of Pikes. Sounds like the large is the one to go for. Mesaured myself again last night and i';m actually 6ft dead on so probably slightly taller with my mtb shoes on. Its always a tricky height as often between sizes. I was on the Yeti and actually wish i had gone large now. I cant really fit an inline dropper post as the bike will end up being too short so i recon large is the way to go. I would love the carbon. Looks amazing. As this will be a wheel size chnage i recon ill build the XR up and then next year perhaps go carbon - if i can justify it :). 170 crank is a good call. Cant wait. I love building a new bike as much as i look foward to riding it once its built. Just need to source a monarch plus shock.

Oli

61 - 80 of 806 Posts