Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Απ: Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Also, I wanted to ask, in some of the Dune reviews (160mm travel), they said the bike would bob when pedaling while out of the seat. Have you noticed any bobbing with this suspension design compared to a DW-Link? I'm sure I can probably tune it out with a good shock or something if there is but still...
WRT the zero suspension, a mate has a 2012 foxy R and I've spend a few hours on it. Sitted pedalling there is no bob at all, maybe 2 or 3mm of movement.

Out of the saddle though, there is noticeable bob,even with the propedal on.

Descending the rear felt much smoother than the fork,which means that either the bike is more balanced with 160mm on the front, or the fox evolution stuff is as medicre as everyone says they are.

Disclaimer: the bike wasn't set up for me, although my weight is pretty close to the foxy's owner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
can anyone help me out with sizing? anyone around 6'1" have any experience/know someone with a foxy? i'm overseas with the military at the moment so can't test one but am hoping to tee one up for my return? any advice?

cheers

·
Registered
105 Posts
can anyone help me out with sizing? anyone around 6'1" have any experience/know someone with a foxy? i'm overseas with the military at the moment so can't test one but am hoping to tee one up for my return? any advice?

cheers
Hey Alex, Mondraker posts their stack and reach measurements on the official website. That will give you the most important dimensions. If you have a previous bike that fit you well, you can go off of that. My guess is that you'd either want a Large with a 30mm stem on the top stack with a higher rise handlebar or an XL with the 10mm stem and shorter handlebar rise or the 30mm stem on the bottom stack. Supposedly that's what the BikeRadar guys did (XL with 30mm stem on bottom). But yeah, just measure things up first as best you can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
William K

Good review. I want to buy one of these at the end of the month and I have been recommended a large. I am 5,10 and was just wanting to know your thoughts on what size I should go for?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hi Matt,

I am 5' 11.5" and I am on a large with a 30mm stem. I'm not sure of how long you are as a 5,10, but my guess is that you might be in the sweet spot for a L frame with a 10mm stem. If you are on a large frame now, then go a large again.

Just measure your current reach from saddle center to handle bar center and you'll soon know if you are going to fit.

With a 10mm stem, you are looking at 660mm for a Large.

Conversely, a medium with a 30mm stem will overlap this and give you 665mm (or 645mm with the 10mm stem).

If you can, aim for their design intention of the bike and try and fit yourself with a 10mm stem.

Best of luck.

W

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Probably an XL

Hi Alex,

I am 5' 11.5" and I ride the L with a 30mm stem. I prefer TT space nowadays. Previously the trend was, fit the shortest bike so as you can get the nimblest bike. The Foxy mocks this idea.

The thing with short bikes is that you have to be very accurate with body movement between the axles (to stay centered and to get that last few tenths of speed and accuracy). The short wheel base makes it easier to extend past or over the C of G from time to time, especially once you get tired or challenged etc - longer bikes, seem to have a larger sweet spot.

If your 20, then stay on a shorter bike because your reflexes are sharper and you have the stamina to sustain the assault. If you are older, then start to look at the longer TTs that are coming out. (note, those sustained assaults found in Enduro are pushing top riders to ask for longer bikes)

It's like the old wood tennis rackets, pay heaps for the best wood and if you had top skills, you could extract great tennis out of them - then the larger head AL tennis rackets came out with a larger sweet spot - everyone could play better, hit harder and faster. Same for the Foxy, you can play harder and go faster. ( I loaned my bike to a 20+year DH rider and it was so fast for him in places, he need to wear goggles on a trail bike - it's all relative to skill level of course - the Foxy as a tool, can elevate you)

Since you are 6' 1", I would think you would be an XL frame. (which is the same as they used in the Bikeradar reviews). But I don't know you and you have to be sure, so measure up. As a start point, measure from the center of your seat to the center of your handle bar. The XL foxy will be nearly 700m with a 30mm stem. How does that compare with your current ride?

I could ride a XL with a 10mm stem - which would be good as this is the pinnacle of the Mondraker geo design philosophy. However, the seat tube is a fraction too long for me to run my 6" dropper post - I have shortish legs you see. (not to mention that the front end gets higher on a XL as well)

There is a new shorter stem trend happening (look at all the new short stems that have come out recently - renthal, ritchey etc), imo a short stem set up does allow you to apply yourself more aggressively to the ride. Great for forcing your way around corners, reefing the bike about on essess and sure footed on very steep stuff and at speed. The Foxy appears to be nimble to me, but that could be because you just love to man handle it about.

You kind of have to trust in the design idea, it is a small leap and if you are up to it and think it suits you, your riding style and your normal terrain, it is well worth taking the leap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks, that's a great help,

i've just had my bike measured and the tt is 630 (measured from the top of the seat post the the centre of the top cap of the stem), i'm currently running a 70mm stem so that would be 700mm - the equivalent to a foxy xl

also the reach (measured from the front of the saddle to the top cap of the stem) is 480, with the stem that's 550 which again is the same as the xl with a 30mm stem

those measurements have both come out bang on the same as the foxy xl which almost seems too good to be true!! please correct me if my measure points or logic is wrong!

thanks again

alex

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Looks promising to me, reach is spot on. Check the seat tube length on offer with your current ride and go from there - I'm guessing it will be fine. You're in for a revolutionary change there :)

Good luck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wish I spoke Spanish Javito, can you do a quick summary in English? Also can you tell me how much room is there around the shock it looks pretty tight and I am looking to use a DB Inline on my next bike so its crucial it will fit, any ideas? Cheers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wish I spoke Spanish Javito, can you do a quick summary in English? Also can you tell me how much room is there around the shock it looks pretty tight and I am looking to use a DB Inline on my next bike so its crucial it will fit, any ideas? Cheers.
The DB Inline would not be good for this suspension layout. It would likely be very difficult, if not impossible to put air into it since the valve is near the bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
According I´ll try....when i have some free time

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks for that I think I got the gist, so you found it a little tricky in the tight stuff? From all accounts the 2015 RP23 are much improved so may be ok but i have been on them for years really want a change.... Maybe get one avalanche or PUSHed

·
Registered
389 Posts
I ordered one as frame set, didn't care much of the specs Mondraker has out from the box.

Going to put Marz 350 CR on front as a fork, haven't decided what length i'm going to set it at though.

Javito, how the bike was on technical steep climbs when pedaling out from saddle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered one as frame set, didn't care much of the specs Mondraker has out from the box.

Going to put Marz 350 CR on front as a fork, haven't decided what length i'm going to set it at though.

Javito, how the bike was on technical steep climbs when pedaling out from saddle?

There are 3 versions on full carbon and one whith the rear triangle in Al.
In the carbon versions only change the rear shock. Kashima 2, performace 1.

With the Fork 160 Fox the front angle its 67,5º . I´m think es good for all use.
I´m change in talas to 140, then no much differences when you´re climb. But yes, if you´re going down

The rear Zero sistem it´t very soft and no reactive like a VPP or DW. You´re climb better if you seat on the saddle. For reactive behaivor put the CTD on Trail

P1070463.jpg

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Mondraker

View attachment 875968

View attachment 875969

I have recently bought a Mondraker Foxy XR frame and since they don't have a Mondraker thread, I thought I had better give the bike a well deserved wrap in the 27.5 forum.

It's a top end performer that can hold its head high among some illustrious 27.5 company. Here is a very long and wordy story of what I discovered. Yes, it is subjective, but perhaps my opinions might be worth something and help others to consider options and ideas when they search for what's best for them and their riding. Apologies for being way too wordy.

Some back ground

My last 26" bike was a Blur TRc with a Lyric and CCDBa. It was a great bike, a 26" at the pinnacle of its performance you might say. There were a few 26" bikes before the TRc of course and then along came 27.5.

I had to jump ship and move into this new size before I totally lost out on my 26" gear and besides, it looked like you would be only getting new stuff in the new size for the future.

Interestingly, 27.5 is affecting 29er FS sales now - these have stalled. I reckon the big S would have seen the stalling as well - I digress...

I tried 5 different bikes. A Solo C, Bronson C Large, Spicy ei, Mach 6 and a Bronson C XL. They were the available picks for me. I wasn't too interested in single pivot designs, so while some other brands had great numbers, they weren't on my radar. I would have loved to have tried some of the new Canadian bikes out, but alas, no great demo access for me here.

I rode the Bronson C and liked it a lot, the Solo C was announced and I surmised that this was going to be the one (considering I loved its TRc cousin), so I ordered a Solo C. A great trail bike, light, very efficient and fun. However, some of the old agro wasn't present and I was looking for more out of it. I embarked on some testing to get back to my happy place (that I was on with my Trc) but in the new wheels size.

5 x 27.5 bikes - personal demos

Bronson C L
I had this bike for 4 days. This is a defining bike, it is just so very good. No wonder SC was caught on the hop with their sales projections with this bike, out selling by a factor of around 3x I believe. Deserved success for SC. Props SC. If this replaces a blur, golly gosh, how good will a new Nomad be - exciting times ahead.

Mach 6
I really liked this bike (3 days). It would crush things on the way down, it had great traction on the way up tech. It was fast, poised and top of its class.

However as a personal preference, I liked the Bronson a little more. The Bronson felt brighter and lighter to pedal somehow, and on the downs, I felt more of the trail - not the bumps, but the connection with the smaller features on the trail that you can pump and work - the M6 would delete these from the feel - it was too good for my liking. Or perhaps, you just needed rougher terrain to exploit what an M6 can offer.
Certainly if you do more trail riding, the Bronson seems to cover this end of the spectrum better while still being able to hit out hard like a M6 when things get rowdy. One other drawback for me was the fitment wasn't exactly right, a little shorter in reach for a L. The bike was sorted and balanced, just a fitment niggle for me though.

Spicy ei
This bike had a longer top tube and it was great. The enduro TT (had to say it). People criticise the Enduro labeling of everything and that is part true, but the one thing I do like about Enduro is the influence it has had over the new geo set ups that are coming down the line - it is changing the cockpit geo and the front of centre on bikes and I like it.

The Spicy dominated the downs. Was better than both the M6 and Bronson C at the downs and if I did more shuttling it would be a top pick. Climbing, not so good. It had an old school efficiency, that's how it felt to me. It wasn't bad and pretty good in ei, it's just not as bright as the other 2 for trail riding or the ups. But, wow, super fun on the downs, very dominant.

Bronson C XL
After liking the Spicy's TT, I tried an XL Bronson - you know, to go fully Enduro (yep, still joking). Despite the stack and seat tube length, it was working for me fine. This was a precursor to trying the longer FOC concept (I'm 5' 11.5" by the way)

The SB 66 is one bike that had geo numbers in a large, nice TT length, but it has clown wheels so is inherently slower. Also, I know that Jared is helping them build a new version with the right wheel size, that should be something to behold and something to consider down the track.

The Mondraker

View attachment 875973

I had read about the Forward geo design of the Mondraker. I was very cautious, nervous even. The idea made sense, but there just had to be some major draw backs, pay off in one area and compromises in another.

That wheel base, in a large = 48". That's 1.4" longer than a XXL Tallboy Ltc. A whopping 3" longer WB than the bike I was replacing, the Solo - yes, three inches. You can understand my trepidation. Was it going to be a banana bus.

Was it just a plow bike, would it climb tech - so many questions. I'm coming from a long line of beautiful carbon bikes, back to a AL bike, hmm.

View attachment 875970

No one had a bike that fitted my new criteria sufficiently, Yeti was close but it had the slower wheels and if they did have the geo via sizing up, the seat tube would be too long to run a dropper or there was some other criteria issue. The new Knolly Warden was a contender and looks good on paper, but I have a trip to Queenstown NZ this month and I needed a solution now and not later. And, I can come back to that option if they ever make one in carbon, a long way down the track.

So I took the risk and bought a Mondraker Foxy XR frame, size L, purely as an experiment. I just had to try it, and I was prepared to off load it if it was a pig or a bike full of major compromises - like down orientated only and no up capability. Suspension performance and pedal platform are also important - who knows about the ZERO suspension system?

View attachment 875971

The ride

I striped the parts off the Solo C and built up the Foxy XR, with the Pike back out to 160mm.

The bike came in at 12.5kgs, very reasonable for tin.

First moments on the bike are interesting, you wear a silly smile as you can see all of the front of the fork, I mean all of the fork, and the hub and most of the front tyre.

View attachment 875972

Within moments on the trail, the bike melts away under you and becomes at one with you very quickly. It is immediately apparent that the bike feels right, very right. Mondraker have made something special here.

It's not a quantifiable or empirical measurement, but you know the "right" feeling when you hit it, a sweet spot. It allows you to ride more purely, just focus on the trail as the bike has melded into your body. Nice!

Given my long VPP history, I like VPP over small bumps and am sensitive to other designs that don't match or better this standard. The Foxy feels good, no little hang ups on smallish square edges.

It pedals very well. Not as efficient as a 125mm VPP Solo which isn't surprising as this has 140mm rear. It's might not be as good as a Bronson, but that also might be that it just feels different in execution. It's close and a little reminiscent of a Blur Ltc. Having said that, it will out climb a Bronson in tech. Head wagging is much less. Also, I can do mini track stands in tech and get all trialsie on it - something new for me as most people think I am unbalanced, certainly my wife does anyway.

The fun part of the ride, the downs - amazing! This bike is a blast, is surprisingly good on twisty trails. Everything it does, it does faster. It is nimble through the trees - I know, counter intuitive, but it is. It messes with your mind. On gentle down trails, quick.

It feels very natural to me, but casting my mind back, I think I am working it through the trees, so maybe not a bike for you if you expect light XC steering. I like forcing it through, feels more fun to me and this does the business fine.

WB is only noticeable on the tightest of corners, but in any event, I found that I was arriving much faster, a slightly different line and leaving the corner faster. Many times I arrived at a second and third feature on a known trail and arrived with much more heat - some features took on new rolls or projected me to new areas of the track. I found it to jump really well, and I could change direction well. Drops were sublime. And then, head to the steeper stuff and this bike shines even brighter. Wow. Steeper chutes and faster stuff are another league.

On my own trails and for me, I am a lot faster on this than any of the other 5 bikes I have tested. The bike has so much potential that I haven't yet tapped into or fully exploited it. All I know is that this is a super fast bike. It's not a plow bike and I managed to bunny hop all of the logs I usually do, however the back wheel did clip two on the way down. Reminding me it is longer, but it isn't as compromised as you might think, I can still pop and hop about, perhaps with a little less flourish and lease ease than the Solo.

I let two of my friend at the LBS ride it as well, both are much better riders than I. One, podiums in DH races and the other, in Enduro and XC races, will podium as well. Just saying, they have skills where in comparison, I don't.

The DH guy has a V10C and a Bronson C. He came back and simply said, "I want one, I think it's better than my Bronson". The other guy (LBS owner) just said, "it's crazy fast and surprisingly nimble" he also complained that the bike's speed was eye watering on many of his trails, he was limited because he wasn't wearing goggles.

And to confirm, I agree with these comments from the professional test rides. These review comments ring true with my early first experiences on the bike:

Quote Vitalmtb,
I agree, this thing can rally:
"Mondraker says they made this ride capable of pedaling up and rallying down, and rally we did! In fact, this may have been the most rally-able all-mountain bike we've ever ridden…"

"The Forward Geometry offered by the Mondraker Foxy XR creates a bike that wants to be ridden really, really hard, and can to be to a point."

I have upgrade my rear shock to a Float X, a noticeable and worthy improvement.

"This comes with a price, though, as the rear suspension may not keep up for riders that use the bike to its full potential (we're talking DH speeds here, because the bike will allow it").

A couple of these guys didn't like how it climbed. I had no issue with how it climbed, and my experience was like some other reviewers.

Quote Bikeradar

I found it climbs tech really wheel. Switch backs didn't bother me, and in fact, the extra poise helped me.

"The bike seems to loves climbing as there's no front wheel lift, and once you're used to the length it's not much harder work on slow turns."

Yes, it is fast. And the grip is amazing. Even on flat corners or trails with 1 or 2 degree elevation drop, it is blisteringly quick into and out of turns.

"But steep terrain is the environment where it really excels: the steeper and faster the better, in fact. With the front wheel so far in front, the amount of weight you can put on it for grip is incredible, allowing you to rail turns at speeds that will have you questioning your ability"

Yep, this bike challenges you in a good way.

I note this bike isn't for everyone, but it sure does suit me and how I like to ride. I tend to weight the front a lot anyway, the bike is definitely a nice riding experience for me. It may not suit everyone, especially if you are coming off a steeper XC geometry for example.
I've only had a handful of rides so far, but I can't wait to explore some more.

View attachment 875966

Here's a wrap for the Mondraker's Foxy XR. A potent bike indeed.

A con: will it fit into my bike bag for my NZ Queenstown trip - I hope so, might be tight but I'm going :)

Cheers
Nice review.

I see you bought from Alta in Queentown awesome, they have full Mondraker range for sale and rentals Summuns galore for the Gondala aye.

Foxy would have been awesome down there btw, hope ya had a vehicle to get around to Wanaka, Sticky Forest Deans bank, Alexandra etc, 7 Mile 12 mile, hope you rode Corotown that trail is off the hook, I've ridden a lot of NZ trail and thats by far my favorite, that and Sticky forest, Pedal or Die trail, perfect for the Mondraker!

Also ditch that Fox shock, jmo btw its still ok, but I rode a Dune XR and std base Dune with RS Monarch R and it kills the Fox in fact the Pike RC killed the Fox 34 Factory fit fork, my mate rides a std Dune with the RS above and loves it, heck I love it and its the base model, hes upgrading the drive train brakes and then hes got a killer rig.

Very nice work WK too, bikes looks killer.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks Mav.

Yeah the standard Fox is just that, standard. The Float X was a noticeable improvement. I have a BOS Kirk lying around, perhaps I should give that a try.

We got stuck in at Queenstown. We hired Jono at Queenstown Bike Taxi - great service and a top bloke. He helped us to really smash out some trails. We even let him have a ride to join in on the stoke. We drove the shuttle for him on one occasion, good to see the shuttle guy run wide on a corner, because we were warmed up, had sighting runs and he was cold. You gotta take the advantage over the local while you have a slim window :) Of course there was lots of running wide and casing to be had....

We got to do Remarkables, Wynards, Dirt Park (how good is the Cardrona pub for lunch), a mega back trail over the back and out, Gondola, Alexandra (Entrails was fun - thanks Jono for teeing up a guide), Big Clyde and Little Clyde (another great pub), Rude rock, Coro peak, Skippers, Zoots and more Gondola of course - we did an off the park trail, out the back and up into some yummy ungroomed areas, found some nice steep loam - ended up with a 900+m drop back to Q'town - very sweet.

We will definitely be going back to Queenstown, however we have just booked a trip to Rotorua and 440 - have to try the Foxy out here first before coming back to Q'town.

Cheers

·
Mtb Guide
1,023 Posts
Thanks Mav.

Yeah the standard Fox is just that, standard. The Float X was a noticeable improvement. I have a BOS Kirk lying around, perhaps I should give that a try.

We got stuck in at Queenstown. We hired Jono at Queenstown Bike Taxi - great service and a top bloke. He helped us to really smash out some trails. We even let him have a ride to join in on the stoke. We drove the shuttle for him on one occasion, good to see the shuttle guy run wide on a corner, because we were warmed up, had sighting runs and he was cold. You gotta take the advantage over the local while you have a slim window :) Of course there was lots of running wide and casing to be had....

We got to do Remarkables, Wynards, Dirt Park (how good is the Cardrona pub for lunch), a mega back trail over the back and out, Gondola, Alexandra (Entrails was fun - thanks Jono for teeing up a guide), Big Clyde and Little Clyde (another great pub), Rude rock, Coro peak, Skippers, Zoots and more Gondola of course - we did an off the park trail, out the back and up into some yummy ungroomed areas, found some nice steep loam - ended up with a 900+m drop back to Q'town - very sweet.

We will definitely be going back to Queenstown, however we have just booked a trip to Rotorua and 440 - have to try the Foxy out here first before coming back to Q'town.

Cheers
Thats what I would put on but I was blown away by the std RC Monarch Plus too. Still feel Fox rides too deep in travel, well it did for my liking on the M6, maybe different on the Mondraker, look forward to hearing how the Kirk goes, should be an awesome match for the Pike and Foxy.

Awesome you hooked up with Jono, he is a great guy, sounds like ya hit all the good places with him and fun times haha good one.

Casings good lol Enves can handle it though :D

Hey Im based in Rotorua, check out my FB link below, let me know or email me via my website/FB if interested, also link below, I guide [TopGunBiking]and can take you to all the best places including taking you to 440 day trip etc so you can base yourself in RotoVegas for example and do a Jono with me if works for ya.

I can pick you and crew whoever up from where ever ya fly into, if Aussie we get direct flights to here, BTW our bikepark may or may not be open by then too on Skylines Gondala on Mt Ngongotaha siteof the 2006 World DH/4X/XC World Champs, tracks up they're looking mint!

Check out vid of our Sprint Warrior race earlier this year @ RotoVegas bike festival week!

Just to wet the Whistle.

Must dos
440 AK
RotoVegas
Whaka or Redwoods right in town edge of town can show you all the bets trails and loops here too bud.
Moerangi
Rainbow Mtn
Taupo doing a Recce tomorrow down there for some new TGB style trails braap.
No obligation btw just option if ya interested,

Keep updating the thread be interested in ya thoughts on testing out the 10mm as well.

Cheers WK

41 - 60 of 806 Posts