Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Stealth Dropper Post?

Williamk, nice bike and nice review…does your bike have stealth dropper post hose routing? i can't find this detail listed on any site so i'd assumed it hadn't got it but looking at your first photo it looks like you've got one installed? cheers

·
Registered
287 Posts
It appears to have its design origin in MX bikes. I always wondered why no one ever did this before. Apparently landing in Queenstown through the clouds is an incredible experience. There is an amazing video of this in Chonday.com.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am considering getting one of these myself eventually. I noticed that you switched out the headset on it. Does this frame require an integrated headset or an internal headset? Would the 10mm stem work with any headset? And did the 10mm stem come with your bike, or only the 30mm? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Hi askayk, I bought my frame from NZ as there was no assigned distributor for them in Aus..
Your build weight is pretty light. Any idea on the frame with shock weight?
I presume you got the frame from Alta?
They don't list frame only.What was the price?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi Bristecom, Yes the 10mm stem will work with any headset. My frame came with a 10mm headset and I bought a 30mm one extra. Measuring my reach from the seat to the bars on my other bikes, my position is such that I needed a 30mm stem to equal this same reach distance in set up. So it's 30mm for me. I reckon the 10mm would be really cool though, I was going to try it but haven't been bothered to explore sorry.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Alex, Mondraker say that you probably can't fit a piggy back shock, and that there is no routing for a stealth. Actually the seat clamp comes with provision for an external dropper - nice touch.

Well, the piggy back fits fine and improves the performance, especially on the steeper and faster stuff in Queenstown ;) It pedals better in all areas actually.

I thank my LBS for the dropper set up, I asked if they could find a way to route a stealth. We were prepared to drill.

When we got the frame, the angle is not good for a drill hole. But some clever zip tie work, and you can run the cable in on the inside of the seat tube-shock frame and up into the seat tube itself. It has worked perfectly. And best of all, we didn't have to drill.

So yes, you can run one.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi gvs, Yes I bought the frame from Alta. Given the distance between us, I am thankful for their help. I did have to pay a small fee for the break down of a bike over there (again, thanks to them for even allowing this) - this allowed me to get a frame only. It suited me as I already had the running gear on another frame.

I did weigh the frame, but I didn't write it down and I have since forgotten how much it was, it was very respectable. I do remember the first impressions when it arrived at my LBS. We all commented on how light it was. It is a top class weight for an AL frame. The build weight is pretty spot on, and confirmed at 12.4kgs for me.

When you look at the new carbon model, they are claiming around the 11.9kg - which seems to corresponds. Maybe you could build a carbon one up in the range of 11.6 to 11.8kgs.

Sorry I don't have a specific number for you there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cool, thanks! Great review by the way. I'm actually living in the US and there is no Mondraker dealer here unfortunately. But I think some European companies will ship to the US. It'll still be pricier though. I just really like the geometry of this bike. I wonder if other manufacturers will soon follow. Do you know of any good Mondraker dealer that would ship to the US?

Also, I wanted to ask, in some of the Dune reviews (160mm travel), they said the bike would bob when pedaling while out of the seat. Have you noticed any bobbing with this suspension design compared to a DW-Link? I'm sure I can probably tune it out with a good shock or something if there is but still...

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks, but would you say it's an easy and straight forward job or a bit of a pain? did your post/hose need any modification and is the hose completely internal now?

also, how tall are you, i'm 6'1"/188cm and i think a Large will be good? dealers are fairly scarce around me so viewing/riding one will be tricky!

cheers

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
C
Also, I wanted to ask, in some of the Dune reviews (160mm travel), they said the bike would bob when pedaling while out of the seat. Have you noticed any bobbing with this suspension design compared to a DW-Link? I'm sure I can probably tune it out with a good shock or something if there is but still...
Can't see why. It has very good antisquat and low leverage ratio at sag. As shown on Antinio's blog. Typical of the new Enduro breed it has similar or better climbing stats as Trance 27.5 , Bronson Troy, Sight, Ripley etc.

Mondraker Foxy 650B 2014 - Linkage Design

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh man! That's exactly what I wanted to see! Thanks! I currently have a Trance 27.5 and am not entirely happy with it. However, the rear suspension on it is probably the best I've ever tried. So that's why I was a bit concerned that the Mondraker may be noticeably worse if I end up going with it instead. Now, I must admit, I don't entirely understand what those graphs mean but it appears the Trance is still a little better in that regard? But at least the Mondraker should be close enough. :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I considered a Dune myself, but as I was buying blind I went for the more conservative option. Even though the green did look nice.

My logic was, a 140mm will always pedal better than a 160mm. The Foxy was designed to accept a 160mm up the front (as well as 140), so it should go hard for a 140mm travel bike. The foxy was lower by a couple of mm and it had a shorter CS. That seemed to add up to the best choice for me.

The suspension design as mentioned above, is good and is what I call a modern design. It pedals well for a 140mm bike. It isn't the same as DW and probably gets edged out if you want to be picky. But as a whole, the bike and geo and suspension work well to get you up stuff.

There is a fraction of bob when you pedal tired. If you are smooth, it is pretty smooth. I'm just trying to say that it isn't totally eliminated like a DW. You had a maestro bike, they pedal well to. Fire road climbs I flick the Float X to the middle and it is really good and standing is fine to.

I suspect you would get more bob on the Dune, so I am happy with the choice. When pointed down, the Foxy is a lot of bike as it turns out, it is up to you as to how brave you want to go.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Oh man! That's exactly what I wanted to see! Thanks! I currently have a Trance 27.5 and am not entirely happy with it. However, the rear suspension on it is probably the best I've ever tried. :)

Just as a side note what points aren't you happy with the Trance 27.5. Frame or componets?

Take a look through the blog. All the DW bikes are different on paper ,especially the Ibis vs turner.Even my single pivot commencals look similar to turner Dw bikes on paper. And of course maestro is very similar to turner Dw bikes in practise and on paper. The mondraker looks very simialr to both on paper and in theory should climb slightly better than the trance 27.5 on smooth climbs but give slightly more pedal feedback.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just as a side note what points aren't you happy with the Trance 27.5. Frame or componets?
Well, many things - both frame and components. The frame geometry just doesn't give me enough confidence at higher speeds, I feel like the BB is a little too low (not enough clearance), and I've had all sorts of creaks from day one, despite trying to re-torque and grease everything. The saddle clamp always seems to bend when I land a big enough bump no matter how much I tighten it, the dropper post remote is slippy and hard to angle and adjust properly (compared to the RockShox), the Fox Fork is pretty much garbage, and the rear Fox shock is not bad but definitely not great (although the rear suspension works very well). The brakes have squealed (while not using them) since day one which I, nor the bike shop, have been able to fix and I don't really like how they modulate (compared to older Shimano's I've had). Also, my XT rear derailleur bent when I went through some mud and nearly cracked my rear suspension link, the MRP lower chain guide actually dropped the chain a couple times, scratching up my XT crank, and tends to make more noise, and the Giant handlebar end caps kept popping out so I just used a generic brand even though they don't look as nice. These are the things that come to mind.

It's not a bad bike by any means, it's just that I spent a lot of money on it and was hoping for a bit more I guess. I was originally planning to upgrade the components on it but I think I'm just going to sell it and go with the Mondraker Foxy XR instead and custom build one of those up. But I'll probably wait until winter for that.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I was wondering if it was geometry or frame flex.
Sounds like a longer travel fork[ i.e. sx] and another seatpost upgrade would do the trick. The lower spec foxy is even more of a compromise in components.
I don't like the Giant brand post seat clamp. Not that I usually use a dropper anyway. Any AM or shuttle runs I do is up 1/2 hr smooth climbs, then drop the post. Don't need one trail riding[ long xc race background].

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like a longer travel fork[ i.e. sx] and another seatpost upgrade would do the trick.
I don't like the giant brand post seat clamp. Not that I usually use a dropper anyway. Any AM or shuttle runs I do is up 1/2 hr smooth climbs, then drop the post. Don't need one trail riding.
Yeah, a 160mm front fork would definitely help. At first I didn't think I'd want or need it but now I know I do. This bike has taught me a lot about what I do really want from a bike though. I have put together some component specs and the Mondraker Foxy XR large sized frame would be nearly perfect geometry for me. So I think I'll eventually build one of these up for myself. I do wish Mondraker would have internal cable routing and a chainstay protector like the Giant does. I don't like the idea of running the cables underneath the frame where all the rocks flick up - potentially damaging the brake hose and shifter cable. I know the new carbon framed one has those things so maybe next year's aluminum will too. Black with white lettering/accents would be sweet too.

21 - 40 of 806 Posts