Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
500mm reach on the XL Mondraker vs 505 mm reach on the XXL Tallboy. "Downcountry" moniker aside, this is essentially the most important thing to happen to XC since the 29er: sizing up the top tube, sizing down the stem, and removing poor-handling, undersized frames from the market.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I wish they made a SC34 @120 with dropper as an option..esp. if they could upstroke the rear to 110 or 115. Maybe: f-marathon-podium.

Mondraker's are so sexy...but the Foxy is too much and this is too little (for me).

·
Formerly of Kent
13,220 Posts
The concern I had was that the geometry wouldn’t allow some people to get the bars low enough.

But, they have nice, short head tubes on those bikes. 85, 90, 100mm for S, M and L. And short stack heights. So, that actually checks a pretty important box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
The concern I had was that the geometry wouldn't allow some people to get the bars low enough.

But, they have nice, short head tubes on those bikes. 85, 90, 100mm for S, M and L. And short stack heights. So, that actually checks a pretty important box.

Having short legs/low seat height, this is often a problem for me. I used to struggle getting weight over my front wheel as well as I liked. I'm glad I
found out about the FSA -20. Ive had to go Anton cooper on my bikes. lol

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,665 Posts
Seems like they designed aesthetics for the purpose of aesthetics, rather than form following function. Like accessing the rear triangle linkage pivot bolt. And those wheels?
Come on. Looks cool, but I'd be far more interested in the suspension kinematics and curves. Dual link can mean anything as far as this is concerned, could be real crappy or quite good. No way to tell without plugging it into a program to see.

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Wonder how that bike would have handled those switchback climbs @ Albstadt last weekend?
My experiece long on enduro bikes is that tight switchbacks really aren't a problem. I know in theory they should be a struggle but that doesn't seem to be in practice.

I would love to take one of these for a rip. I am always curious to see is the theoretical advantages and disadvantages actually play out in the real world.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,220 Posts
Perhaps of interest:

PB has a feature showing 5 race bikes from NMNM. One is a Mondraker with a 100mm stem.

And, Bec McConnell isn’t riding the new bike, either.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Perhaps of interest:

PB has a feature showing 5 race bikes from NMNM. One is a Mondraker with a 100mm stem.

And, Bec McConnell isn't riding the new bike, either.

I think you are partly mistaken, she is riding the F-podium prototype of 2018 or her custom F-podium frame with the Podium Carbon frame Stem arrangement.

As far as I know in 2018 the F-podium only existed as a prototype, no official launch happened. You can see here Dan riding it, which is the same model Rebeca was riding last Sunday.

I get that it isn't 100% equal to the new F-Podium they are selling, but they sure are representing the same model.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The bike Bec was on had the weird head tube/top tube junction cutout thing.

That is NOT the same bike as the one shown here:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/bike-checks-5-xc-race-weapons-from-the-2019-nove-mesto-world-cup.html

Or here:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-mondraker-f-podium-xc-racing-bike.html

Yep that is the same bike, albeit probably some prototype model that used the same mold than the podium carbon, but for functional and commercial purposes it's the same bike.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,220 Posts
Yep that is the same bike, albeit probably some prototype model that used the same mold than the podium carbon, but for functional and commercial purposes it's the same bike.
They obviously don't use the same mold.

Bike from last year. Prototype-ish. Note head tube, how short it is, "cut out" and lack of bulge outwards below stem.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/mondraker-f-podium-rr-sl-first-look-interbike-2018.html

Podium, with no cut out, big bulge below stem.

Those are different molds. The rear triangle might be the same, but that's it. If we assume that the prototype was running a 31.8mm bar, that stem looks to be 70-80mm long. Which also doesn't fit the design philosophy of the Uber long reach, short stem bike they just released.

·
Sneaker man
3,671 Posts
It's weird, as I don't like the look of it...but it looks a lot like the Look A-stem style bikes from a couple of years ago, which I do like the look of (as I have one, road bike) edit or at least that first pic de luke posted

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.