Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Older than I feel
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who are still in town this weekend, I'm going to do a slow ride (mostly 'cause I'm really out of shape) at Henry Coe SP on Monday July 5th. Wheels roll from Hunting Hollow at 8:30 AM.

I haven't figured out a route yet, but most of my HH rides start with Gilroy Hot Springs Rd. -> Coit Rd. -> Anza -> Jackson -> Elderberry Springs ... lots of choices from there.

It WILL be hot. That's why the early start. Bring lots of water.

No RSVP needed. Just show up. See you there?

Look for the blue '80s Mustang with peeling paint and the fat guy in the hideous yellow State Park Volunteer bike jersey. :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Stripes said:
What's the distance and footies? Estimates, of course.
Figure 10 miles w/ 2k' climbing minimum for anything in Coe. That just means 2k' of downhill:thumbsup:

I'll plan on being there, can't pass up a Slow Coe ride

·
Older than I feel
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stripes said:
What's the distance and footies? Estimates, of course.
What Mike E said. I haven't figured out an exact route and I'd rather ride than measure. There will be grueling uphills, it's the nature of Coe.

We can tailor the distance to the riders' needs, so if someone wants to cut it short for whatever reason, no problem. I just feel the need to get hot, sweaty, and dirty in my favorite park.

·
Older than I feel
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stripes said:
I'm wondering if I want to ride a lighter bike for Coe, like a 3-4" travel or hardtail rather than a 6" AM bike.
Probably not a bad idea. I'm actually thinking if I ever go bikepacking at Coe, I'll just put some knobbies on my touring bike.

·
Older than I feel
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that was fun... until I did a Superman and went over the bars. :( Got some trail rash but nothing worse. Pix to follow.

edit: The bike was just fine BTW.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Thanks for inviting us slow-pokes out to a grueling Coe ride. The "Coe Factor" raised its ugly head, but we all managed to finish strong.

I am nursing leg-cramps now at home.

MRBB008 slayed the trails in '95 rigid-bike fashon. Get a newer bike under this guy and he'll be unstoppable.

Chuck - you can climb some seriously steep stuff. And you shook off the "Superman" like it was nothing, and kept on hammering. Good job!

David (not MikeE) - Great job on the trail suggestions, and for sticking with me off the back. I can't believe you were just riding in Tahoe this past weekend, and went on a Coe ride for recovery!

I look forward to the next ride!

-Brad

·
Older than I feel
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dirty peecture time!

Bill bailed out early. Wise man!

David doing some pre-ride stretching.

Rodrigo (L), on a rigid AlpineStars bike from, uh, 1889, and Brad.

Regrouping at the Gilroy Hot Springs bridge.

Brad standing on a water bar on Jackson trail that a handful of us Coe-dependents built this spring.

At the top of Jackson trail.

Another regroup at Elderberry Springs and Rock Tower trails.

Rodrigo.

David.

Yours truly, after the fall. Note the newly ventilated BRAND %^&* NEW Coe patrol jersey. :rolleyes:

·
Older than I feel
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, the route: GHS Rd. -> Coit Rd. -> Anza -> Jackson -> Elderberry Sprs. -> Rock Tower (down) -> Domino Pond -> Cattle Duster -> Coit Springs Tr. (BIFF!) -> Grapevine -> Anza -> Coit Rd. -> GHS Rd.

Brad and David reported 13.5 or 13.9 mi depending on whose GPS you believe. I didn't hear the elevation numbers.

·
I'm a "she".
936 Posts
It must have been pretty warm at Coe today, but that was nice loop.

Chuck, good to see that the vents missed the nipple.

chucko said:

Rodrigo (L), on a rigid AlpineStars bike from, uh, 1889...
Did anyone else notice that Rodrigo's bike looked really small (or was it just that the handlebar was super narrow)? It probably looked big 121 years ago.

·
Up up and away!
103 Posts
mudworm said:
It must have been pretty warm at Coe today, but that was nice loop.

Chuck, good to see that the vents missed the nipple.

Did anyone else notice that Rodrigo's bike looked really small (or was it just that the handlebar was super narrow)? It probably looked big 121 years ago.
The handlebars do look pretty narrow on my bike. It must be a photographic optical illusion. :)

It was a great ride. It was cooler than I thought it was going to be. Thanks to everyone for picking up the pieces that were falling off my bike, specially that loose front derailleur and the loose cable. Oh yeah, and that map that came off my pocket too. Those are some great pictures.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Octane said:
MikeE - Great job on the trail suggestions, and for sticking with me off the back. I can't believe you were just riding in Tahoe this past weekend, and went on a Coe ride for recovery!
Somebody must be impersonating me :madmax: I slept in and didn't make this ride. Anyhow, sounds like everybody had fun. That's a great loop with a lot of bang for the buck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.