Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RT3 on my Tallboy. Both are new and have been ridden for about 3-4 weeks. For the last few rides I have noticed an unusual amount of pedal strikes which I was going to blame on new M980 pedals and the bike felt unstable which I was blaming on myself, until today. Also by viewing the o-ring it appeared to have been using more travel over the last few rides than normal.

While riding on a smooth trail I noticed the rear shock to be compressed more than normal. I stopped to check it out and noticed it would only extend out to the 15-20% sag markings(with me off the bike). Putting weight on and compressing the shock seemed fine but it would still would not return to full extension. I was able to extend it by lifting the saddle and pushing the rear wheel but it would compress back to the 15-20% mark. I rode it, stopped and tried to extended it again. This time it extended alot more but not fully.

At home I checked the air pressure which was good at about 145. I removed the shock from the bike to check the linkage. Smooth as butter. I deflated the shock, compressed it fully and pumped it back up. Full extension. I did that a few times and have not been able to replicate the problem.

Finally my question, What the heck is going on with my shock?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
bushido5 said:
I have a RT3 on my Tallboy. Both are new and have been ridden for about 3-4 weeks. For the last few rides I have noticed an unusual amount of pedal strikes which I was going to blame on new M980 pedals and the bike felt unstable which I was blaming on myself, until today. Also by viewing the o-ring it appeared to have been using more travel over the last few rides than normal.

While riding on a smooth trail I noticed the rear shock to be compressed more than normal. I stopped to check it out and noticed it would only extend out to the 15-20% sag markings(with me off the bike). Putting weight on and compressing the shock seemed fine but it would still would not return to full extension. I was able to extend it by lifting the saddle and pushing the rear wheel but it would compress back to the 15-20% mark. I rode it, stopped and tried to extended it again. This time it extended alot more but not fully.

At home I checked the air pressure which was good at about 145. I removed the shock from the bike to check the linkage. Smooth as butter. I deflated the shock, compressed it fully and pumped it back up. Full extension. I did that a few times and have not been able to replicate the problem.

Finally my question, What the heck is going on with my shock?
Stuck down phenomenon. Negative & positive chambers didn't properly equalize.

·
Controlled Crash
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I think you are right, it was stuck in the lower portion of its travel. Now that it is back to full travel, is there anything I need to do? Is it likely to re-occur? Something wrong with the shock and needs to go back to Rock Shox? Go ride and hope it doesn't happen again?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
bushido5 said:
Well I think you are right, it was stuck in the lower portion of its travel. Now that it is back to full travel, is there anything I need to do? Is it likely to re-occur? Something wrong with the shock and needs to go back to Rock Shox? Go ride and hope it doesn't happen again?

Thanks
I'd ride it & contact SRAM just to give a heads up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.