Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, what is the consensus on these two shocks of a Mojo SL - are they better than a Fox RP23 BV? Most reviews that I have seen on here seem to suggest that it is better than the RP23 - but I wouldn't mind hearing form someone who has ridden both on a Mojo.

Also is there any benefit of having the 10 clicks of compression on the RT-AM and which tune - high or low?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just bought and installed the Push Industries Monarch RT-AM on my 2009 Mojo SL, 650B wheels F/R. It is replacing the Fox RP23(also Pushed) it came with. I am 6'4" and 225lbs. I have also run a DT Swiss XM180
on the bike. All the shocks have been shimmed so as not to have the rear tire hit the seat tube. I have 3 rides so far on the Monarch, including a 5 hour ride Saturday. All 3 shocks are different- XM180 is very linear thru its travel, no real ramp up at the end, has a lockout and rebound adjustment only. This shock to me is suited more for XC type trails, smooths out the small & medium bumps well. Goes thru the travel on the bigger stuff. I did not like the stock RP23 had it Pushed and it was a much better shock. I do not use ProPedal and Push made the adjuster nob for PP, more of a compression nob with 3 setings. This shock was not quite as smooth on the small stuff and then fimer thru its stroke then the DT. It was a better shock to get air and land with ramp up at end of stroke. Initial impressions of the Monarch RT-AM are excellent. I really like having 10 clicks adjustment on both rebound and compression. Lets me tune it to what and where I am riding. I also like the fact it has bigger valving and more oil for a heavier rider like me. I have the sag set at 30% and it seems to sit up higher and have more travel then the RP23(I did fry the RP in Copper Harbor,MI 3 weeks ago and maybe thats why it feels that way). The RT-AM takes both the small and medium hits well with the right amount of firming at stroke end. The Pushed RT-AM and Pushed RP23 in the tune that I requested are pretty similiar. I guess thats what good customer tuning is. If any thing else comes up with the shock, I will try and pass it along.

Edit: I have the low volume air can.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I've found these on the UK importers website, all appear to be high volume in the Mojo sizing, so which tune would suit the suspension characteristics of the mojo best?

RockShox Monarch RT3 Black High Volume (200x51 / 7.875"x2.0") Tune - Mid Reb / Low Comp

RockShox Monarch RT3 Black High Volume (200x51 / 7.875"x2.0") Tune - Mid Reb / Mid Comp

RockShox Monarch RT3 Black High Volume (200x51 / 7.875"x2.0") Tune - Mid Reb / High Comp

Couldn't see the RT-AM listed, which is strange

·
Registered
303 Posts
dreednya, I didn't realize you were in the UK. The RT-AM is from Push. They build it up from an RT3.
TF Tuned ( Bicycle Suspension - TF Tuned Shox ) handles the Push stuff around you. Not sure if they have the Monarch yet. I would ask these guys what tune or volume to get. I believe the low volume air can is recomended for the Mojo's DW link. So far I am very happy with what I got. Its the best I have had on the bike so far. Good luck!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input lml427 :). Yup I have had a look at TFTs site, but they are yet to start working on RS shocks, they currently do the forks only :(.

It is strange that the UK importer does not list the low volume can as an option.......I'll keep looking

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I just bought and installed the Push Industries Monarch RT-AM on my 2009 Mojo SL, 650B wheels F/R. It is replacing the Fox RP23(also Pushed) it came with. I am 6'4" and 225lbs. I have also run a DT Swiss XM180
on the bike. All the shocks have been shimmed so as not to have the rear tire hit the seat tube. I have 3 rides so far on the Monarch, including a 5 hour ride Saturday. All 3 shocks are different- XM180 is very linear thru its travel, no real ramp up at the end, has a lockout and rebound adjustment only. This shock to me is suited more for XC type trails, smooths out the small & medium bumps well. Goes thru the travel on the bigger stuff. I did not like the stock RP23 had it Pushed and it was a much better shock. I do not use ProPedal and Push made the adjuster nob for PP, more of a compression nob with 3 setings. This shock was not quite as smooth on the small stuff and then fimer thru its stroke then the DT. It was a better shock to get air and land with ramp up at end of stroke. Initial impressions of the Monarch RT-AM are excellent. I really like having 10 clicks adjustment on both rebound and compression. Lets me tune it to what and where I am riding. I also like the fact it has bigger valving and more oil for a heavier rider like me. I have the sag set at 30% and it seems to sit up higher and have more travel then the RP23(I did fry the RP in Copper Harbor,MI 3 weeks ago and maybe thats why it feels that way). The RT-AM takes both the small and medium hits well with the right amount of firming at stroke end. The Pushed RT-AM and Pushed RP23 in the tune that I requested are pretty similiar. I guess thats what good customer tuning is. If any thing else comes up with the shock, I will try and pass it along.

Edit: I have the low volume air can.
LML, I'm glad to read your post. I've got an SL full 650b too, with a RP23 that's been serviced by Push, but not custom tuned (previous owner didn't see the value I guess). I've had my eye on the Monarch for a while but, but somewhat undecided between rt-3, vs AM, vs getting my RP23 tuned.....plus, the $ keeps getting sucked away for other things. I'm not a fan of the platform either, and like the idea of high flow and adjustable compression.... sounds like you're in the same boat. Was shimming the Monarch basically the same as the RP23? Is it a 10mm shaft also? How much sag are you running? Are you getting full travel? What pressures did you run in the RP23 vs the monarch? Did you make any mention of 650b to Push so that they could account for the reduced travel, or did you take care of that yourself?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but you sound like the guy with the relevant experience! Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
LML, I'm glad to read your post. I've got an SL full 650b too, with a RP23 that's been serviced by Push, but not custom tuned (previous owner didn't see the value I guess). I've had my eye on the Monarch for a while but, but somewhat undecided between rt-3, vs AM, vs getting my RP23 tuned.....plus, the $ keeps getting sucked away for other things. I'm not a fan of the platform either, and like the idea of high flow and adjustable compression.... sounds like you're in the same boat. Was shimming the Monarch basically the same as the RP23? Is it a 10mm shaft also? How much sag are you running? Are you getting full travel? What pressures did you run in the RP23 vs the monarch? Did you make any mention of 650b to Push so that they could account for the reduced travel, or did you take care of that yourself?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but you sound like the guy with the relevant experience! Thanks
I discussed RT3 vs. RT-AM with Push, for my riding style they said RT-AM.

I talked to Push about the shimming and emphasized that it will be shimmed for a 650B Mojo SL. If you buy one from them, you should do the same! PM me. I believe it is a 9mm shaft.

I am running 30% sag.

I am running slightly less pressure in the Monarch. It seems to sit up higher and give more travel, so I ran a little more sag. 195-190 for RP23 190-185 for Monarch. Thats with a Sette pump(not sure how accurate)

I am getting full travel. No harsh bottoming. One of my local gnarly, rocky trails is almost like a pump track with some large woop d do's and I was compressing pretty hard and got full travel. Worked great on it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Excellent, thanks!
So did Push actually do the shimming for you, or did you do it yourself? According to some old posts, they used to have a very stand-off-ish attitude toward 650b applications, but maybe that's changed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.