Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybodys!
I plan to put a monarch r 190mm on my child bike but the shock is really harsh and barely dont move at all. He's 30kg. I initially tought that the air pressure will be setting the firmness of the shock but i soon realise it s not the case...

I understood that to correct the damping for a lightweight i'll need to mess with the shims stacks...

Could you please confirm me:

1. that the shims stacks are the only needed part to change the force needed to compress the shock? Is there another thing to do/change i missed?

2.that i could get the shims setup to get a soft enough suspension for a 30kg kid.

I also please need to understand exactly how to mod the shims stacks ... if i get it well there is two way of doing it...

1. Simply Get one two or tree shims out of the stack in the compression side without replacing the in any way... i saw that some of you are opposed to this practice but i cant really get why and if it could create any damage on the shock (could you explain me please?). I saw that some monarche have different total stack size so why it could he so bad??

2. It seem that moving the round shim "further from the begining", i meen to keep all the shims but to move the round shim on or two normal shims away from the center, wil also soften the shock! Do you think it will function? I am right this would soften and not harden the suspension?

Could you please tell me if i misunderstood something and which of these two method is the one you would use (and the one you would absolutely not).

Could you please also tell me if i need any really specific adhoc tool for this task.

Last question?is it the Driver weigt or the leverage ratio that have most influence on the shock setting needed? Does a 30kg rider push the same on the shock with a high leverage that a 80kg with a small one?

Thank you for your answers!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry sir when i v8 swap my car i do it by myself, when i need to build my 4dof race/flight, 3d print h2r wings mirors, built my own electric kart or my two e-mtb (not kit: battery by myself and everything sourced from everywhere at the cheap) i ll do the same. Every of that project some poeple told me thats not my job but i did it. Most of time with the kindly help of many communities and with my language handicap.

I'll do it...i ll do more readings but for sure any help there would be very appreciated...

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
The R is heavily preloaded and always harsh. You need to remove the preload from the stack, and then significantly soften the stack on top of that.

There's a monarch tuning thread a few down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you thats exactly the little details i m looking for there!!! All threads are very specific to an particular operation. Nor the results of these operations (how much effect removing a particular shim will produce on the real life damping) nor the global procedure with all the operation needed to soften a shock.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I look for this tuning thread thanks a lot. Is the preload setup not via the air pressure? Because you talk about removing preload from the stack?? The shim stack is not only for compression/rebound?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I m back from hollydays and did the mod this night. I removed one of the three big shims, put a fluider oil, get a lower pressure (60psi ifp and main pressure)... the shock is still a lot more stiff than needed... any advice for an emprouvment? Drilling bigger holes on the red part of the piston? Ligher oil (2.5w isnt the lower??). Any advices?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello, if i can help someone somewhere thats close to perfect setup for a 35kg child on a monarch 195mm... 1 compression shim removed + 1w oil + 130ifp + 50/60psi for the main pressure. A lower ifp remove any form of rebound so i kept it pretty high. Sag is 25%, travel is @90% on pretty big jumps i kept a margin for his future progression.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard 300psi max for ifp and some of you on this forum are @150psi for a lot of reasons (sometimes the wrong ones).

He have very few pressure in the other size due to his weight so i dont think it will be harmfull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.