Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know in Ibis's manual, it says that for the HD, they suggest a Medium Rebound and Low Compression tune, with a low rebound and low compression tune being second best.

Does anyone ride a monarch plus rc3 with a med/med tune? I'm just a normal chunk to fast rider, no big hits or drops, really looking for small bump compliance and speed stability.

Also, does anyone know where to get / how much to get this shock tuned back to a medium rebound and low compression (I know Push doesn't do RS shocks anymore)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have some friends on this config. You can get it redone by any local suspension expert if it is not to your liking. It will be a little more harsh on the small stuff stock.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, I'm thinking the med/med tune might be too much for me since I don't go big and want to soften up the small stuff more

I guess I'm looking for a shop to help with this tune in the bay area somewhere (as Push doesn't touch the Monarch anymore)

anyone have any recommendations on where to go?

·
Registered
96 Posts
yea, I'm thinking the med/med tune might be too much for me since I don't go big and want to soften up the small stuff more

I guess I'm looking for a shop to help with this tune in the bay area somewhere (as Push doesn't touch the Monarch anymore)

anyone have any recommendations on where to go?

Suspension Experts in Asheville, NC

http://www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com/

I am waiting for same : Low comp / Mid rebound to be tuned by Suspension Experts but product unavailable from Sram until early to mid April. I Don't have firm availability date.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So I was in the same boat (looking for M/L due to Ibis manual as you quoted, but only finding M/M monarch) but did find an old new stock M/L tune Monarch plus LOW VOLUME without the lock out... since I rarely even locked my Fox shock, figure I would try... whoa! that things is so much more plush and I don't use full travel easily anymore with correct 35% sag. I had an air reducer (medium) in my Float Kashima, but still would bottom out too easily (205lb) or be too harsh in small bump (if I add more air). Not a fan of big volume...

I would say the Low tune makes the suspension come out live! the downside is I get a bit more pedal bob when climbing now, so yeah I wish I had a lock out... :)

that Monarch and a new Pike was the best upgrade on my HD.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, suspension experts aren't willing to do the work, a local shop i've found would (cost around 120-140 bucks which includes parts)

i'll slap on the med/med tune to the HD and try it a few times and see how it goes, it'll probably be a lot better than the rp23, but I guess it would be hard for me to say if the low compression tune would be better if I've never tried it

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The medium tune is the way to go if your like to pin it over rough stuff, and want the bike to ride higher in the travel and not bottom out on hits. If you're just a casual rider and like small bump compliancy and want the trail to 'disappear" under you then go with the low tune.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The medium tune is the way to go if your like to pin it over rough stuff, and want the bike to ride higher in the travel and not bottom out on hits. If you're just a casual rider and like small bump compliancy and want the trail to 'disappear" under you then go with the low tune.
You could just add some compression, or more air if you want it to sit higher, but if your shock is already too high a tune, you can't make it more supple, can you ?
guess compression (adjustable) and low tune are separate but I'm not clear how they really differ as both seem to prevent too small movement and wallowing on brake dives, pedaling, etc...

For me I like my suspension make things disappear (otherwise I would use a hard tail), while still pedaling good (anti squat - DW link), and not bottoming out on bigger jumps (all relative I know) so low volume shock to make it more progressive seems like the ticket.

the Monarch Plus M/L with small volume seems much better at that than my '12 RP23 high volume (even with air spacer) was from the couple rides so far...

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I have a Push'd monarch plus, with their version of M/M. When I run it in the Low compression setting it feels wonky and wallowy, bottoms out harder and seems to eat up travel to easily. Bike feels like its slowing down through repeated big hits/rough/rocky patches. Flip it to the middle setting and it feels more responsive, pumps harder, doesn't bottom out hard, and maintains speed through chunk. Flip it to the high compression and it feels a little too harsh, but pedals awesome.

I have three shims in the outer air can sleeve and run about 28% sag. Run too small of volume and you'll have terrible midstroke and too much rampup

We all ride differently though.....

·
Registered
810 Posts
Right, but you mention "compression" setting of Low/Med/High (which the RC3 supports I believe, I have just R) which is different from Low tune/Medium compression which Ibis Spec recommends for the HD. Medium tune might just be fine, I don't know...

Interesting that you have 3 air shims on your shock. I had the medium size (comes in 3 sizes) on the Fox RP23 which helped but not enough. Should have tried the large spacer before selling it. Guess it is better to have a large volume as you can add spacer to reduce volume as needed (Pike comes with couple spare ones which is nice!). My Monarch Plus was too hard to pass up at the price. Glad I made the switch.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just to update on the thread, i put the med/med tune on the bike and went with it, 2 clicks rebound and just a hair over 30% sag

compared to the rp23 kash, the bike feels way different, for some reason my pedaling performance was really good (not as tired, not sure if my general fitness is better or not), there is a bit of bob when i stand up and put the hammer down but nothing hindering, coasting over repeatable roots, rock chunks felt like i was picking up more speed without the harshness, i also felt that the bike was easier to pump too

bone stock med/med tune, i'm pretty impressed with it, not sure if i'd even want to go convert it to a low compression as ibis recommends

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had my first ride with Monarch Plus HV 200X51 on my Ibis Mojo HD 2012 model with 27.5 wheels. The shock is Medium/Medium and I use Burgtec offset bushings, 30% sag. My first ride was on rocky trails and I think it was better than before. I believe it is much better in beginning of the stroke, quite supportive in the mid stroke and not bottoming out so often. I believe that althought the firm setting is quite firm, Fox propedal is better. Anyway not such a big problem.
So far I had 2 setups. 160 mode (26 inch wheels) with RP23 kashima and 140 mode with RP23 2011 model. The 160 mode came with the frame and the second one I bought it just to try the 140 mode. I believe the Monarch Plus outperform both.
One think that I noticed next day is that sag was not as dialed at 30%, it was a little more. Probably the shock was a little firm for the first ride, so I have to check it again.
And something else, I think the 140 mode gives a little more slack Head Angle.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Right, but you mention "compression" setting of Low/Med/High (which the RC3 supports I believe, I have just R) which is different from Low tune/Medium compression which Ibis Spec recommends for the HD. Medium tune might just be fine, I don't know...

Interesting that you have 3 air shims on your shock. I had the medium size (comes in 3 sizes) on the Fox RP23 which helped but not enough. Should have tried the large spacer before selling it. Guess it is better to have a large volume as you can add spacer to reduce volume as needed (Pike comes with couple spare ones which is nice!). My Monarch Plus was too hard to pass up at the price. Glad I made the switch.
These are shims that go inside the "outside air can sleeve" not inside the main chamber. Unlike Fox.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just finished my first ride on my recently completed HD, with a Monarch Plus 7.875" x 2.25", running 27.5 wheels. I was also concerned about the stock med/med tune being over damped for the HD.

Initial impressions however are very positive! The shock felt great a 30% sag. Pedaling felt great fully open or in the medium setting. I didn't really try full firm (the bike climbs great in either full open or in the middle setting). The shock rode high in its travel and had a really nice controlled feel in the mid stroke. I didn't use full travel but it was a very tame trail so that was expected. Rebound speed was fine, I am running three clicks from full fast.

Overall my initial impressions are very positive with the stock tune. Although I can't help but think I might gain a degree of small bump sensitivity with an L Comp tune vs. the Med Comp. However, if this compromised mid stroke control, I am not sure if it would be worth it in the long run. At this point I am really pleased with the performance and feel of the shock and I don't feel the need to try and change from the stock setup.

It's also worth noting that I had no problems running the longer shock with 140 limbo chips and 27.5 rear wheel. It should put the rear travel around 145mm or so, with a lower bb height compared to running a shimmed 8.5" x 2.5" shock. I am really happy with this setup paired with a 150mm 27.5 Pike up front.
IMG_5538 copy.JPG

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just finished my first ride on my recently completed HD, with a Monarch Plus 7.875" x 2.25", running 27.5 wheels. I was also concerned about the stock med/med tune being over damped for the HD.

Initial impressions however are very positive! The shock felt great a 30% sag. Pedaling felt great fully open or in the medium setting. I didn't really try full firm (the bike climbs great in either full open or in the middle setting). The shock rode high in its travel and had a really nice controlled feel in the mid stroke. I didn't use full travel but it was a very tame trail so that was expected. Rebound speed was fine, I am running three clicks from full fast.

Overall my initial impressions are very positive with the stock tune. Although I can't help but think I might gain a degree of small bump sensitivity with an L Comp tune vs. the Med Comp. However, if this compromised mid stroke control, I am not sure if it would be worth it in the long run. At this point I am really pleased with the performance and feel of the shock and I don't feel the need to try and change from the stock setup.

It's also worth noting that I had no problems running the longer shock with 140 limbo chips and 27.5 rear wheel. It should put the rear travel around 145mm or so, with a lower bb height compared to running a shimmed 8.5" x 2.5" shock. I am really happy with this setup paired with a 150mm 27.5 Pike up front.
View attachment 887189

Is this a small size frame?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I went from the stock Fox CTD M/L tune to a Rock Shox Debonair M/M tune on my HDR and did several back to back to back rides, the M compression tuned debonair is noticeably more small bump compliant than the CTD was.

·
Registered
158 Posts
IMG_1031.jpg

My sag setup is a little over 30% already and I still could not get the full travel out of it. My monarch is setup as MM. Is there any other way I can do to maximise the full travel of my shocks?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not sure but it looks like you have the small air can on your Monarch. That is going to make your spring rate more progressive and it will be harder to use the last bit of travel. One thing to check is if there are any volume bands installed now and remove those. Otherwise an air can swap might be necessary.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts