Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know where I can get one of these online? My LBS's supplier can't get them till like november. I was told that they are out there, and somebody's got a stockpile of 'em ( maybe Push??:) )

I'm looking for the 200 x 51 part # 11.4115.069.030

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I'll plead ignorance here on the "dual air" part of your post. For RS products this usually means the manual/adjustable positive and negative air chambers in their forks. I guess I haven't seen this used on their Monarch line. In fact I think they call their air spring system "solo air" on that shock. I have an inline Monarch 4.2, and I don't think the Monarch Plus piggyback model has an adjustable negative air pressure chamber...does it? I'm thinking it may not even have an easily adjustable piggyback chamber like many other piggyback shocks do. My Vivid R2C has no shrader valve on the piggyback IFP. Is there something new on the Monarch series that has a dual air function?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Well ain't that neat! And it looks like maybe it's been around a bit since they're showing it on a 4.2 and that shock is now the RT3. I see they comment on having to use a pump adapter like an Air-Tite to insure that the pressure is as exact as possible due to the small volume in that chamber. If it works, I guess it will give the same type of performance as the dual air forks which IMO is an excellent tuning element. I've had 3 RS forks with dual air, and they all worked great.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks The_one1. you beat me to it.

that air can is precisely what I'm talking about. it is an aftermarket part for all 2008-2010 monarchs. I'm looking to get one for my 3.3.

Anyone seen one?

In my opinion, this should be more common on rear shocks, it would allow for fine tuning across a wide range of suspension/ riding styles w/o significantly adding to the intricacies/ price of the shock.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
the_Alaskan said:
thanks The_one1. you beat me to it.

that air can is precisely what I'm talking about. it is an aftermarket part for all 2008-2010 monarchs. I'm looking to get one for my 3.3.

Anyone seen one?

In my opinion, this should be more common on rear shocks, it would allow for fine tuning across a wide range of suspension/ riding styles w/o significantly adding to the intricacies/ price of the shock.
It is a good idea, and I'd bet it's an economic issue as to why it's not more common...maybe? They did make the old SID rear shock that had a dual air chamber some years ago, but for some reason it never caught on. It seems odd that RS who sort of pioneered the dual air concept in mass production hasn't continued or pursued this on their current line of shocks. There may be a real reason that they encountered on their SID rear shock. Hard to tell. It works awfully well on their forks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump...

If someone comes across one in a local shop or finds one online (other than on Petra cycles.com) PLEASE let me know!!! I really want one of these.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump...

Figured I'd resurrect this post and see if there's any new info...

Anyone got a line on one of these? Or heard anything on this yeti/ loch ness monster/ chupacabra/ (insert other urban legends here) ?

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Nice find but I can't say I need it for my PUSH tuned version. What I DO need would be air sleeve tuning spacers like Fox has for their RP-23. Just need slight bit more ramp-up at end of travel. Heard RS was planning on coming out with a kit but haven't heard anything since. Anyone know?

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If it works, I guess it will give the same type of performance as the dual air forks which IMO is an excellent tuning element.
They didn't work, they really didn't work. They were available for all of six months and now RS seem to pretend it never happened.

Best bet is just to buy a second hand Monarch or Float normal, more expensive but easier life.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They didn't work, they really didn't work. They were available for all of six months and now RS seem to pretend it never happened.
that explains a lot. Damn... well so much for a lower cost shock upgrade.

BTW, out of curiosity, what exactly was it that didn't work about them?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Dual air was/isa very poor fit for something as small as a shock. They were very fiddly to set up as the air chambers were so tiny it was hard to get pressures right.

(IIRC) They also ran at quite high pressures and were prone to developing leaks between + and - air, which wrecked them double quick.

The 'normal' monarch is based on solo air and is a great shock, the dual seemed to be too much stuff in too small a space to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.