Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to shuttle the Monarch Crest trail this Saturday. Do you think it will be rideable? I can deal with the occasional snow but don't want to be walking through snow for a good portion of my trip.

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
smithrider said:
.... walking through snow for a good portion of my trip.
sounds about right...

Try starting at the bottom, Silver creek or Rainbow, and see how high you can get
Lettuce all know what you find

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
What I hear is 3 drifts

xcutterx said:
i rode it on the don mcclung ride on the 4th and its clear. 2 snow spots you have to hike over but it was no big deal at all!
Yep, that's the recent beta. Only diff is I hear 3 drifts left, not two. Those do seem to be going fast.

Hike straight over the snow please, do not skirt around the edges. Emerging tundra vegetation can't handle it, and the Forest Service gets mighty peeved. But beyond that, I'd say we are about 1 week late thanks to a warm June and some afternoon rain which promotes the melt-off. Go hit it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
smithrider said:
I am planning to shuttle the Monarch Crest trail this Saturday. Do you think it will be rideable? I can deal with the occasional snow but don't want to be walking through snow for a good portion of my trip.
We rode the Monarch Crest today (7/10) from the parking lot to the Green Creek drop in. There were 3 large drifts which were easily walked over/slide down between the start and Green Creek TH. Green Creek had very little snow...just a few short (30') sections. The pics and video are of the largest one on the Crest

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
Tuckerbiker said:
The pics and video are of the largest one on the Crest
Nice 1st post!
I like it!
Sitting upstairs with no AC right now probably 80+ degrees (10:45 pm), and I actually felt a little cooler watching the vid. And good choice of music to go with!
Thx - I need to get back there one of these days.

·
Colorado
452 Posts
Looks like dealing with the snow drifts aren't a big deal, but is there retarded amounts of mud on the trail?

It might be a good time to get up there early before all the big crowds show up in a few weeks??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Drop the Seat said:
Looks like dealing with the snow drifts aren't a big deal, but is there retarded amounts of mud on the trail?
There wasn't much mud on the Crest Trail or Green Creek but we rode South Fooses today. Some snow on top but not too bad. The mud was the bad thing & a lot of erosion from all that water. The first mile and a half really sucked....deep mud and bad trail erosion. It looks like all that snow melt choose the trail as a drainage ditch. After that first mile and a half its awesome though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.