Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sette Ace frame with the Monarch 3.3 in it and I am having some problems, looking for input. For starters I believe that the shock is bad because it won't hold pressure. Over a 1 - 2 hour ride it will lose 15+ psi. Other than that when I first air it up at the beginning of a ride if I put any more than 85-90psi in it it feels almost like a hardtail. I am a 200lb rider and would think that running pressure that low would be inadvisable.

Any thoughts? Is the frame suspension design prone to a stiffer ride?

Thanks
Scott

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
The Monarch 3.3 is similar to my MC 3.3. They both have big air chambers which equates to lower air presure. I'm 220+ with gear and I'm running 70to 80lbs or so. As long as you're not bottoming out you should be good to go. Too much presure and you don't use the whole a stroke. From what I read, higher suspension ratios take more presure. I run a single pivot so use lower presure.
If you keep loosing air though the shock may need service. R Shox does warn to keep the air valve cap on tight or you could loose air, FYI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The valve cap is the first thing that I checked, solid, no leaks there.

Excuse the ignorance, but how do I determine the suspension ratio ? Is it simply rear wheel travel relative to shock travel? If so, what is considered high and what would be considered low?

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
My reference to suspension ratio is multi point vs. single point suspension. Multi point suspensions are higher ratio. I have a single pivot (point) suspension.
If you're asking how to figure out the actual measurements, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Like Starkonian said it might be normal.
Do you have the High Volume air can or the Low volume(small) air can?
I have a 8.5 X 2.5 Monarch 4.2 with the High Volume (large) air can on a High Forward Single Pivot.
I weigh 180 lbs with gear and use 110psi to get 30% sag.
With the Low volume air can it should require less pressure.

As for air loss. How are you checking the pressure?

EDIT: I just checked out the Sette Ace and according to the photo on their website it has the LV air can so it should use lower pressure than mine at the same body weight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the low volume can yes. I thought that the lower volume can required MORE pressure not less though. I certainly am no expert so maybe you're right. I can notice a definite change in ride characteristics over the course of a ride, when I put my shock pump on it it is approximately 15 or so psi less than the beginning of a ride. I did some checking with my pump and I took into account the fact that it loses about 10psi. installing and removing the pump. If all else fails though, the fact that the shock is almost completely depleted of air after 2 days of no riding is still an indicator that something is wrong.

Thanks for the info.

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
Big can---lower presure is what I read.

You hit on an important variable. When you remove the pump form the shock air is lost, sometimes more, sometimes less. If it's all leaked out the next ride you probably need a service on it I suspect.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Keep in mind these variables:

1. when you finished pumpin air into the shock, and release the pump the air you hear is the air trapped in the hose btw the shock and the pump.

2. When you initial connect the pump to the shock at any given time, the reading will differ approx 10-20psi depending upon the pump - This is bcs the air rushes into the hose of the pump.

But I have had air leaks on older shocks and certainly know the diff as well - so. Hell you may have a bad shock as well... Good Luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Starkonian said:
Big can---lower presure is what I read.
Hmmmm RS must be different?
One of My Fox shocks with the HV can on it required about 20 to 30 psi more air than when I had the LV can on it for the same amount of sag.

WeaSiL Try checking to see if the valve core is loose or faulty. I had an air fork that was losing air and that's what it was.
It's a really cheap simple fix that can often be overlooked.
You can find the valve core tool and valve cores at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tip, I'm sure I have one of those valve core tools kicking around in the shop somewhere so I'll certainly check that. I would like to read more on the LV vs. HV air cans though. Anyone know of any articles on the matter?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
WeaSiL said:
Thanks for the tip, I'm sure I have one of those valve core tools kicking around in the shop somewhere so I'll certainly check that. I would like to read more on the LV vs. HV air cans though. Anyone know of any articles on the matter?
Do a search in this forum. That's where I originally found the info when I needed it.
Most of the info involves Fox air shocks but might be helpful for others as well.

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
mcrumble69 said:
Hmmmm RS must be different?
One of My Fox shocks with the HV can on it required about 20 to 30 psi more air than when I had the LV can on it for the same amount of sag.
Here's a link to the MTBR review for the MC 3.3. Note the "Large air volume results in lower pressures, less stiction, and a more linear spring curve." That's RS description. I don't know if it applies to all other shocks.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/rear-shock/rockshox/mc-3-3/PRD_365168_138crx.aspx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.