Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the shock size the same for all Moments?
I see the present model runs 200-57mm, but is any slack allowed for in those numbers?

I have an old Moment - anyone know which year it might be?
Problem is I don't like the shock - or maybe it is leaking air - I don't know, but If I push the shock while my shock pump is attached, the pressure drops for 10-30 psi for each push.

Anyway, I would like a new shock, and think a Fox RP2 might do the trick, but I really don't know which size shock to buy, help please.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I figured mine is probably an MK1, and I think I carnt go wrong with a 200-57mm shock, now anything I should look out for, when purchasing a shock for this bike?

I found a RP2 for $140, but the year is unspecified, it is this one:

good value?

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
If your shock decision is based purely on $$$ then you might want to consider the RP2. Personally I wouldnt think that shock choice would be a good match for the Moment. I have a dhx coil on mine which is a great match for the frame, but I am thinking about putting the bike on a diet and going with an air shock. From reading these forums for the past few years, most Moment owners complain that the DHX--Air has horrible mid stroke support and gives a poor ride combined with ICT. You might want to consider getting the RP23 from Ellsworth that has a larger air can and is supposedly valves specifically for the Moment.

good luck!

PS - How did you find out that you have a Rev 1 frame? I bought mine in '06 on closeout and I suspect I ended up with a MK1 and not a 1.5.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks,

I think RP2 and RP23 is the same, only the latter has more predifined pro-pedal settings.
So since some are glad with the RP23, I hope I can be glad with RP2 after some personal tuning in, but if Ellsworth have customised valves in the fox shocks, then I might be out of luck - I thought they just had dialled in normal production shocks.

Presently I have a Manitou 3way Swinger, how do you think that will compare to a DHX coil? which reputed is the best for the moment.

Right now I don't think I feel the SPV at all, and it feels like most of the suspension is from the spring, and kind of bobbing, but I might have to service the shock and get it tuned in better. That is why I considered an air shock so I could get a more steady shock. This is my first suspension frame, so I don't really know what I like yet, though.

As for what I could read here - the MK1.5 will have spiderweb structure in the recessed part of the chainstay boxsection near the crank, whereas the MK1 will only appear recessed. Mine has two big recessions and no web-like structure.
Ultimately production numbers should be the key, but I know of no such key to the numbers.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I bought my moment with a dhx air, didn't like it and fitted a vanilla coil RC(no pro pedal version). the coil was a huge improvement.

I then sent my DHX air to MOJO and had it revalved for my weight and tuned specifically for the moment, it is now a great air shock and supports the bike mid stroke well.

I will happily run either.

If I was buying a brand new shock I would buy a fox RC4 if I wanted a coil or buy an airshock and get either re-internaled/tuned for my weight and bike before I even ever rode it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.