Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've ridden DT Swiss hubs -- pretty much exclusively -- for a few decades. Every event and training mile in my competitive career was ridden on DT hubs. Probably 90% of the miles I've covered since then have been entrusted to them.

I chose them because they were so light, so simple, so durable, so easy to maintain. And because they so infrequently needed any maintenance.

All of that holds true with their new 240 EXP hubs, which are what I built the 29+ setup for my SlingShot around.

But the new EXP hubs have a minimum of 36 points of engagement, up from the 18t that they've been for decades.

I'm not an engagement snob: For 95 to 98% of riders I don't think it matters in the least. Thus, I was not one of the vocal minority asking DT to increase theirs.

But now that they have, one of the things I most liked about DT hubs -- their near silence when coasting -- is gone. They're fairly loud now, as seems to be the growing trend across the industry.

I cannot abide a loud bike in any way. Noise when riding drives me batty, and is completely antithetical to the reason I like getting outside to ride bikes in the first place.

So after just a handful of rides on the 240 EXP I ordered some Onyx hubs. When they arrived I removed that wheelset, removed the 240 hubs, laced in the Onyx, and here we are.

Easy on the eyes, but -- much more importantly when riding -- easy on the ears.

I still love DT Swiss -- the people and the product. I'm still building at least one set of wheels per day using their hubs. Jeny -- who loves loud hubs as a means of alerting apex predators to her approach -- is still riding DT hubs.

But until DT produces a quieter variant of their Ratchet EXP drive mechanism, going forward I'll be on Onyx.

Thanks for checkin' in.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
Silent hubs are so nice. I have a roval branded 240. it's loud. Once you get used to silence it's hard to ride anything noisy. Onyx are heavy AF but worth it because they do a lot more than just let you hear your tires. They remove the clunk that happens with all hubs that have any degree of lag. This clunk is something we are all used to and don't notice because all hubs do it. With enough time on onyx the clunk of other hubs becomes all too apparent. The removal of the clunk we all have experienced is something some find odd about onyx. It like there's a damper in the drive mechanism. You simply can't make it clunk. Some say spongy, soft..... I say it's a thing of beauty. Silence not just when coasting, but when you hammer with all your horsepower after coasting. I've owned a ton of hubs, nothing does this but onyx. I suspect stealth too but I haven't tired one. When ever I ride my roval the clunk is as annoying or more so than the noise. I now feel the clunk vibrate up to my legs. Something I never noticed until a few years on onyx. If all hubs used sprag clutches, the first pawl, start ratchet... hub to hit the market would be immediately noted for the clunk, but because we all know the clunk so well it's just how hubs work so we think nothing of it.

Too bad onyx has to weight a metric shi! ton to do these cool things. Hard pass on the vesper. Sounds like they cut too many corners playing the gram game. Sprag bearing hubs are heavy. Fuc'it

· Registered
3,175 Posts
stealth now owned by box. Almost bought a stealth back in the day but was scared off by weight haha. Now I have a pig of an onyx and wouldnt' have it any other way. DIdn't shimano make a silent hub or something? Seems like the silent trend has blown over if it ever actually existed. I was thinking we would see multiple options but I suspect it's a minority that wants silence.

· furker
919 Posts
I also don't like the buzz of the 36 or 54 tooth DT star ratchets. My cheap hack was to add a small amount of black EP Moly Grease in WITH the special DT star ratchet pink grease works to dull the buzz. Not enough to make it silent, only enough to take the edge off the buzz. Too much EP moly and the ratchets will float and not fully engage.

I've been doing that with a set of XM1550's with 240 hubs for 4 years, and no signs of wear, no chipping, and no engagement problems. I would like to get a real set of actual silent hubs for my next set of wheels though.

· Registered
7,322 Posts
I only care about a quick engaging hub when racing my singlespeed. It comes in handy when behind a geared rider soft pedaling through tech, with me having to ratchet the cranks back

· Registered
1,215 Posts
Those Onyx are nice! What colour is that?

I've got a set of classics and a set of Vespers and they both have been flawless. One thing I did notice on my Banshee was kickback when using the classic so I built another rear wheel with an 18 tooth ratchet in a 350 hub as an experiment and sure enough it made a difference with less feedback thru the pedals.

· Nurse Ben
11,634 Posts
Nice, I’m building a set of Onyx classics now, love DT Swiss, but I also miss the silence and the engagement, the weight is a thing but I’m not that concerned.

I rode Onyx classics for a few years, never had any issues, to save weight and $$ I went to DT Swiss at Mike’s suggestion and they’ve been bomber.

Some folks complain about the “soft” engagement, I’m more inclined to appreciate a little give esp when overall engagement is so high.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
I've always had quiet hubs -- but my next hub is going to be a loud one -- purely because I ride in grizzly country.
No grizz in my part of the rockies but I still say "hey bear" in certain places when alone. I've always thought the noise my bike makes when not pedaling is enough racket to alert my presence but who knows? Silent hubs are a little like EV cars. They are far from silent, just no noise from the drive mechanism. I would love a truly silent bike other than tire noises. I love hearing tires flirt with traction. That's honestly my favorite part of silent hubs. Hearing internal cables, and chain slap more would be the down side haha.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
This is my wife's theory as well. I wish there was a shred of evidence to prove its effectiveness.
Every little bit helps. Surprising a griz because it couldn't hear you coming is the worst possible scenario. I use a Timberbell too. I don't like the noise either, but I like staying alive more.

· Registered
I'm one wheel smarter than riding a unicycle.
865 Posts
Wonder how long this will take to morph into a 30 page thread about carrying firearms for predators or the old-as-dirt low vs high engagement debate...

• Haha
Reactions: p0is0n0ak
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.