Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the web site went dark officially today. Super sad, as the fork(s) had great potential.

I liked the way my Shout rode, but it was "different" enough that I was planning to put one on my other bike, until the original news of the shutdown/pause came through. I sold it and went to a Fox 38 instead.

I applaud the Trust team for taking the leap and trying something radical - it hugely sucks that COVID-19 hit when it did. Hopefully the technology will find a new home at some point.

Revel? Pivot?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Off into the annals of mtb history, along with many other great attempts at improving the sport.

·
Premium Member
9,124 Posts
Sad, but the technology and molds still exist, so maybe someone bought them out of ??

I have a Message and a Shout, they are great forks, no fork carves like a Trust.

The Shout is my fav as it's super plush, but now that I ride short travel bikes I ride a Message; the Shout is on my wife's Shuttle.

I was hoping for a mid travel Trust fork ...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,056 Posts
And I was hoping they would go for the fat-bike market, that's one of the few formats that can accommodate the tire-width without serious structural issues and having to be beefed up to a crazy level. But, Cannondale Headshock would be even better.

·
Thicc Member
1,400 Posts
What did they do wrong, fail to secure an oem contract? I'm right in the middle of their target market but I liked my existing forks enough to not drop the cash on a Trust.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Looks like the web site went dark officially today. Super sad, as the fork(s) had great potential.

I liked the way my Shout rode, but it was "different" enough that I was planning to put one on my other bike, until the original news of the shutdown/pause came through. I sold it and went to a Fox 38 instead.

I applaud the Trust team for taking the leap and trying something radical - it hugely sucks that COVID-19 hit when it did. Hopefully the technology will find a new home at some point.

Revel? Pivot?
They would have folded if Covid was present or not. Covid has actually caused the bike industry to boom.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,056 Posts
They would have folded if Covid was present or not. Covid has actually caused the bike industry to boom.
Yes, a few with inside knowledge say the seal was sealed well before COVID. One of the problems was it sacrificed flat/large bump absorption for vertical-edged/high speed, so drops and landings were somewhat harsh, then the damper was not of the level you'd expect in a fork that cost that much. For that much, you better be getting some high end custom-tuned stuff like proper circuits, midvalve with hydraulic bottom-out, ability to run a lot of low-speed for stability and have great blow-off for high speed, etc., but by all accounts it was a rather simplistic damper and wasn't really up to par with the rest of the concept. Although springs are important, IME the damping makes or breaks the fork to an even higher extent, I can ride a so-so air spring with a fantastic damper better than a fantastic air spring with a so-so damper. Long term tests were also saying that the fork wasn't as rigid as claimed for torsion. Also issues with braking, since the front doesn't sink and load the front wheel, braking on sketchy terrain suffered and it was easy to lock the front wheel and lose control.

An interesting concept, anti-dive has definitely been done before and probably will continue to be in the future, but it's biting off a lot to really make the total product that has the great damper, air spring, ease of operation and servicing, rigidity, and the anti-dive.

But again, it would definitely be a good chassis for something like a fat-bike.

Reactions: distortion10

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I liked the way the Shout performed on my Shuttle, but it was "different" enough to make it awkward going back and forth between bikes. It required more weight over the front end to get the most out of it.

IMO, fat bikes don't really need much suspension. I have a Borealis that I've run with 3", 4", and 5" tires, with and without a Bluto fork. For the most part, 120mm is more than enough suspension (too much in the winter) when you also have another couple inches of tire underneath you, particularly if you don't overinflate them.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,388 Posts
Fork that's harder on the hands, plus not as good for drop and big hits is a hard sell, especially for big $.

Traction and control has to be balanced with reduction of fatigue and hand pain.

·
Mr.Secret
635 Posts
But again, it would definitely be a good chassis for something like a fat-bike.
Redundant, at least so far this winter. I've found a total of one solitary root on Moose Ridge that my 4.8 and 3.8 combo suck up nicely.
But so far I've only rode north side of Campbell Airstrip Road with the rest of my time having been on skis, with that endeavor reoccurring here in about 20 min.

:p

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,056 Posts
I liked the way the Shout performed on my Shuttle, but it was "different" enough to make it awkward going back and forth between bikes. It required more weight over the front end to get the most out of it.

IMO, fat bikes don't really need much suspension. I have a Borealis that I've run with 3", 4", and 5" tires, with and without a Bluto fork. For the most part, 120mm is more than enough suspension (too much in the winter) when you also have another couple inches of tire underneath you, particularly if you don't overinflate them.
I don't think fat-bikes need much suspension for the HTs, 70 or 80mm from a headshock unit would be plenty, 100mm would be on the long side for most of the winter riding, better suited for summer, but I will say that I get pounded to hell sometimes and SOME kind of suspension would be extremely helpful. In a lot of conditions, I don't notice it, snow and ice fills in between roots and you generally don't go that fast and can air down, but it just takes a little more speed or bumps and all of a sudden you are bouncing uncontrollably, not so much that I want to hang 4 more lbs off my front end, but I'm seriously considering an FS fatbike for next year and the rougher conditions and that's a niche that needs suspension forks too. Be nice to have one for the hardtail though and keep it light and fast.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,056 Posts
Redundant, at least so far this winter. I've found a total of one solitary root on Moose Ridge that my 4.8 and 3.8 combo suck up nicely.
But so far I've only rode north side of Campbell Airstrip Road with the rest of my time having been on skis, with that endeavor reoccurring here in about 20 min.

:p
That just means the impact was slow enough where the tire hysteresis absorbed it, but that's like an elastomer-fork, it only works for one speed, one size impact, because the damping is a fixed rate. You go faster and it becomes a pogo-stick/bump-amplifier. IME, you can't control speed on a ride that finely that you are always moving at the same speed. Conditions can make it easier to absorb with your body sometimes with smoother tracks, but I like to ride pretty technical stuff, whether on snow or dirt. No offense, but I think we wildly underestimate the benefit of suspension when we don't have it, getting "used to" being pounded and having to absorb everything with our arms and legs. I have to keep my seat down pretty far on all that stuff because you can't just sit in the saddle, which gets tiring standing all the time.

·
Mr.Secret
635 Posts
That just means you hit it slow enough where the tire hysteresis absorbed it.
Precisely, mostly because where it's situated there's not enough room to bunny hop it but you can certainly pop the front wheel and lift the rear.;)

And yeah, same here, I live for tech/the old trails. It just so happens the lattice of roots that the north side trails consists of in summertime is currently filled in nicely.

BTW, one of these days you and I need to go out for a rip ..

·
Mr.Secret
635 Posts
There's a whole list of linkage fork makers lining that memory lane!
A blast from the distant past.
I briefly ran this on a Ibis Silk Ti soft tail.
It lasted maybe a half dozen rides because, well, the damper just couldn't keep up.
It did come complete though with clamp on canti mounts AND a clamp on ISCG brake adaptor.
Okay, time to go shuffle it back into my veritable museum of parts and pieces; Grafton clipless pedals, Paul's, Joe's and Proshift derailleurs, etc etc etc ..
PC030256.jpg PC030257.jpg

Dougal, I should send this to you for some proper tweaking ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,056 Posts
Precisely, mostly because where it's situated there's not enough room to bunny hop it but you can certainly pop the front wheel and lift the rear.;)

And yeah, same here, I live for tech/the old trails. It just so happens the lattice of roots that the north side trails consists of in summertime is currently filled in nicely.

BTW, one of these days you and I need to go out for a rip ..
Yep. The days I'm not ripping out there I'm snow-shoeing in the trails.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts