Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My frame came today. It's a shame I have to work all weekend. I'll post pictures of the completed bike when I get it put together next week. Weight is 8.1 pounds for a Large with the DHX 5.0 shock.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Pics

2 more pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Mint looking frame, be interesting to see it built up and how it performs. Also be great to hear how that new shock performs.........

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Bob the Wheelbuilder said:
2 more pictures.
Nice Pix! A real beauty. I hadn't realized they had black rear triangles. I thought they were matching. It looks good in two tones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Nice Pix! A real beauty. I hadn't realized they had black rear triangles. I thought they were matching. It looks good in two tones.
They have only black rear triangles. You can't get a matching color (unless it's a black bike ;)

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
angelic fruitcake said:
They have only black rear triangles. You can't get a matching color (unless it's a black bike ;)
I know this sounds totally laughable but I would sort of be put of buying a moment (Which I lust for in Addition to my already sweet truth) because of the black rear end. I happen to think the silver was a great look.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
bike_freak said:
What is the build going to be like? Total estimated weight?
Looks awesome! I love ellsworths, just can't afford one:(
Save all your pennies - you'll get there one day.... ;)

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
Very nice

Wow! The blue looks really good. The DHX must really shave some weight because my small came in at 8lbs with the Vanilla RC. What will your build be?

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob's Build

I know it's a little light for the frame, but I'm putting a spare '03 XTR gruppo on. I need to see if I can get an 8' front rotor and adaptor. Fox said that all their '05 shocks will take an 8' rotor, by the way.

The rest of the build is as follows:
2005 Fox TALAS RLC (90-130 mm travel), black
King headset and ISO disc hubs, black
Thomson post and stem, haven't decided the stem length, yet, probably 120-130 mm 5 degree with about 20 mm of spacers
Easton Monkey Lite bar
WTB grips
WTB SST 98 Ti saddle
Shimano PD-646 pedals
XT 11-34 cassette
I've got to look at tire options; I hope WTB Motoraptor 2.4's fit
Rims will be Mavic XM 819 Disc for a tubeless set and probably WTB Laserdisc DH's for the other. I need to check frame clearance for the WTB rims with the Motoraptors.

I do build all my wheels, and I've started using mixed spokes on the same wheel. The tubeless wheel, for example will have 2.0/1.8 mm butted DT spokes with brass nipples on the entire rear and on the front brake pulling side, with 1.8/1.6 mm spokes and brass nipples on the other 3 spoke positons of the front wheel (nondrive rearward facing and both drive side positions).

The other wheelset is all 2.0/1.8/brass since it's for heavy use. I had a wheelset with those same components on my Turner RFX and they were absolutely bombproof.

My Blur's wheelset will also fit in case I want to go stupid light. It has Mavic 317's. The front tire has 2.0/1.8/brass, 1.8/1.6/brass and 2.0/1.5/alloy (revolutions). I always use brass nips on the pulling postions.

Fox told me today that the 600# spring I need will be at least another week (sigh).

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Can't wait to read your feedback...

That frame is really nice Bob. I really look forward to seeing the finished bike and read your comments after you ride it. I'm looking at buying a Fox DHX for my bike so if you have time, let us know how you like the shock as well.

Well your a lucky guy. A Blur and now a Moment, hum, you must have a smile eveytime you go in your garage.

Cheers.

I know it's a little light for the frame, but I'm putting a spare '03 XTR gruppo on. I need to see if I can get an 8' front rotor and adaptor. Fox said that all their '05 shocks will take an 8' rotor, by the way.

The rest of the build is as follows:
2005 Fox TALAS RLC (90-130 mm travel), black
King headset and ISO disc hubs, black
Thomson post and stem, haven't decided the stem length, yet, probably 120-130 mm 5 degree with about 20 mm of spacers
Easton Monkey Lite bar
WTB grips
WTB SST 98 Ti saddle
Shimano PD-646 pedals
XT 11-34 cassette
Rims will be Mavic XM 819 Disc for a tubeless set and probably WTB Laserdisc DH's for the other. I need to check frame clearance for the WTB rims with the Motoraptors.

I do build all my wheels, and I've started using mixed spokes on the same wheel. The tubeless wheel, for example will have 2.0/1.8 mm butted DT spokes with brass nipples on the entire rear and on the front brake pulling side, with 1.8/1.6 mm spokes and brass nipples on the other 3 spoke positons of the front wheel (nondrive rearward facing and both drive side positions).

The other wheelset is all 2.0/1.8/brass since it's for heavy use. I had a wheelset with those same components on my Turner RFX and they were absolutely bombproof.

My Blur's wheelset will also fit in case I want to go stupid light. It has Mavic 317's. The front tire has 2.0/1.8/brass, 1.8/1.6/brass and 2.0/1.5/alloy (revolutions). I always use brass nips on the pulling postions.

Fox told me today that the 600# spring I need will be at least another week (sigh).

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
I don't think you will have any problems getting the Motoraptor to fit. I'm running the Kenda BG 2.35 (a Tire a highly reccommend if you are looking to change) on a Mavic XM321 in the rear with plenty of clearance and according to the specs I lifted from Shiggy's Tire Site the BG is slightly bigger than the WTB. Bummer about the spring:( .

<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="80%" align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>
ID Number

</TD><TD>
Brand

</TD><TD noWrap>
Tire Name

</TD><TD>
Stated Size

</TD><TD>
ETRTO

Size

</TD><TD>
Tube / Tubeless

</TD><TD>
Directional Tread

</TD><TD>
TPI

</TD><TD>
Bead

</TD><TD>
Claimed Weight

</TD><TD>
Number Weighed

</TD><TD>
Actual Weight

</TD><TD>
Tread Width

mm / in.

</TD><TD>
Casing Width

mm / in.

</TD><TD>
Casing Height

mm

</TD><TD>
Volume Index

v.3*

</TD><TD>
Tread depth - center

mm

</TD><TD>
Tread Depth - Side

mm

</TD><TD>
Axle to Tread

(widest point)
mm

</TD><TD>
MSRP

$US

</TD><TD>
Tread

Durometer

</TD><TD>
Country of Manufacture

</TD><TD>
Notes

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
k01

</TD><TD>Kenda</TD><TD>
Blue Groove Lite DTC

John Tomac Signature Series

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
50-559

</TD><TD>
tube

</TD><TD>
yes

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
folding

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
447 / 454

</TD><TD>
51.3 / 2.02

</TD><TD>
51.1 / 2.01

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
Taiwan

</TD><TD>
L3R Pro / Stick-E

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
k02

</TD><TD>Kenda</TD><TD>
Blue Groove Stick-E

John Tomac Signature Series

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
58-559

</TD><TD>
tube

</TD><TD>
yes

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
folding

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
743 / 780

</TD><TD>
61.3 / 2.41

</TD><TD>
55.1 / 2.17

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
Taiwan

</TD><TD>
Stick-E

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="80%" align=center border=1><TBODY><TR><TD>
Brand

</TD><TD noWrap>
Tire Name

</TD><TD>
Stated Size

</TD><TD>
ETRTO

Size

</TD><TD>
Tube / Tubeless

</TD><TD>
Directional Tread

</TD><TD>
TPI

</TD><TD>
Bead

</TD><TD>
Claimed Weight

</TD><TD>
Number Weighed

</TD><TD>
Actual Weight

</TD><TD>
Tread Width

mm / in.

</TD><TD>
Casing Width

mm / in.

</TD><TD>
Casing Height

mm

</TD><TD>
Volume Index

v.3*

</TD><TD>
Tread depth - center

mm

</TD><TD>
Tread Depth - Side

mm

</TD><TD>
Axle to Tread

(widest point)
mm

</TD><TD>
MSRP

$US

</TD><TD>
Tread

Durometer

</TD><TD>
Country of Manufacture

</TD><TD>
Notes

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
w01

</TD><TD>
WTB

</TD><TD>
Moto Raptor Race

</TD><TD>
2.4 55/60

</TD><TD></TD><TD>
tube

</TD><TD>
yes

</TD><TD>
-

</TD><TD>
folding

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>
792 / 795

</TD><TD>
60 / 2.36

</TD><TD>
55 / 2.17

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Bob,

If you are still looking for an 8" adaptor, try GRC (Gravity Racing Components). I'm using one to mount my XTR caliper to my Z1 w/an 8" rotor. The owner is a great guy and is great to talk to for technical info.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today's wheelbuilding day

Thanks for the advice SSINGA and 'Zilla. I mounted a Motoraptor 2.4 on the DH rim and it looks like it will clear with plenty of space. It's one of my favorite tires for our dry, rocky climate, it works particularly well on slickrock. I'll take some clearance pic's when I get the wheels built.

I ordered the GRC adaptor and the front rotors today. I'll run the standard 6" in back and 8" in front. I did call GRC and the owner is very knowledgable and friendly, like you said. One suggestion he had was that if I go to a 20 mm through axle front, I can get a purpose built adaptor for the 20 mm front and use the current adaptor to increase the back rotor to 8".

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
...I ordered the GRC adaptor and the front rotors today. I'll run the standard 6" in back and 8" in front. I did call GRC and the owner is very knowledgable and friendly, like you said. One suggestion he had was that if I go to a 20 mm through axle front, I can get a purpose built adaptor for the 20 mm front and use the current adaptor to increase the back rotor to 8".
Hmmmmm....hmmmm....hmmmm......
I think I feel a bout of UGI coming on...where's the phone at?:D
Nawww, j/k...I never get that much speed on the trails around here.

Cheers!

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Hmmmmm....hmmmm....hmmmm......
I think I feel a bout of UGI coming on...where's the phone at?:D
Nawww, j/k...I never get that much speed on the trails around here.

Cheers!
'Zilla - reserve the UGI for a new DHX :D

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tire clearance pics.

Tire clearance for the Motoraptor 2.4's is good. I don't have the measurement for my old Turner RFX, but it looks to be about the same.

Attachments

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The saga continues...

The GRC adapter came today (beautiful!). Rotors are coming from a different source (GRC was actually out of them). Fox finally had the spring, so that's on its way, too.

One word of warning, I ruined the BB cups trying to install them. I'm doing the build at home, and I dont have a BB tap set, so I tried to force the cups into a too tight fit and ruined the threads. I took the frame to my LBS and they chased the threads and faced the BB: no harm done to the bike. The drive side needed quite a bit of facing. Be sure to have the threads chased if there's any question of the BB fitting at all tight. I've built up a dozen or so bikes, and this is the first time this has happened to me. My wife's Truth gave me no such problem, I could thread the BB cups by hand almost all the way.

Oh well, live and learn.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts