Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
Hmmnnnnn...........

How do we even know its a Moment? I hate to see that happen to anyone,but it does make me wonder just a little... If it is a Ells,I am sure the turn around will
be quick none the less.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Pardon Tarbaby4Ever, but we do get quite a few trolls in this forum that have it out for Ells and spray every chance they get. Anyways, this sucks. I read your post on TGR before I saw it here. It's the first legitament Moment failure I've personally ever heard of, and people are riding these bikes hard. I have a feeling the Ells CS will be quick and have you riding again soon. Please post your experience with them. The way you say your riding, it really surprises me that it could fail, likely a rare defect since you are the first I've heard of and many Moments are out there getting riden way harder. Good luck. Still sucks to be without a bike for a couple weeks.

Did you buy it from a LBS? If so, maybe they can hook you up with a loaner in the meantime, after all you dropped some coin at their shop. I hope I never need to deal with this on my ID, but I don't know how far aggressive XC goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no harm done, I understand about the trolls.

Yea I went through a local LBS since I got the moment through a warranty to begin with.
I would feel bad about asking for a loaner without paying them for it since its not their fault and they really arent getting much out of this deal.

It definitely has to be a manfucturing \ weld defect. The crack propogates from the penetrated weld porition on the inside of the BB shell. My guess is that EW doesnt use sheilding gas on the backside of the welded area or that they didnt clean the backside of the weld as well and as such has impurity inclusions in the weld. I inspected the weld a bit closer this afternoon and found that the weld has actually propogated through the shell to the exterior, but mainly just at the end of the fully penetrated weld.

Ill definitely post back with how it goes, although I suspect the same as you in that it will be a fast warranty experience.

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
I just searched your past posts on that forum and take back my first quip,again sorry to hear about that happeneing to anyone,including you.... :( So..... 800 for that Moment frame in black ? and did the original seller give you any coin to throw in the end ?? I now know what to do if my Truth breaks.... You seem to have had horrible luck in one sense,and yet in another sense,you ended up getting a 2200 dollar frame for a pittance,with a FULL warranty in the color of your choice.With the first one,you were JRA... Tell me,with this frame were you also JRA ?

'Goes off to examine his early 2000 Truth for small stress fractures'

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
pechelman said:
It definitely has to be a manfucturing \ weld defect. The crack propogates from the penetrated weld porition on the inside of the BB shell. My guess is that EW doesnt use sheilding gas on the backside of the welded area or that they didnt clean the backside of the weld as well and as such has impurity inclusions in the weld. I inspected the weld a bit closer this afternoon and found that the weld has actually propogated through the shell to the exterior, but mainly just at the end of the fully penetrated weld.
In plain english,what are you trying to say about the welding quality/quality assurance at Ells ?

pechelman said:
Ill definitely post back with how it goes, although I suspect the same as you in that it will be a fast warranty experience.
Please do,and I hope it does go well,I do think they will take care of you in proper order.

:)

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
I wouldn't be panicking too much over it, seems like a CS manafacturing issue to me Im sure EW will cover it.

As for selling seems extreme, the Moment is a darm good frame, this is the first Ive heard of such a problem so in the scheme of things its pretty good.

Get yr new one and go shred, and if it happens to you again you are just an unlucky poop.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I dont think Ill sell it, I think that was just a knee jerk reaction to seeing 2 cracks in as many months. Im not panicy at all, just upset I have to do the whole warranty thing again, not ride for a while, then build up the bike again. I suppose Ill go for some hikes and scout some new trails.

In plain english re welding, being an experienced welder myself, Im saying **** happens.
However, of also being of mechanical \ materials science engineering background in the autoracing and aerospace industries, I am also saying that weld would have never made it to a peice of flight hardware with common NDT practices (dye pen, x-ray, ultrasonic etc), but the last thing any of us want to do is make an EW even more expensive ;).

Beyond that, I hesitate to speculate anymore, because I just dont KNOW their practices; filler material selection, heat treatment schedules, cleaning practices etc. Suffice to say, its generally just not one thing that contributes to a crack like that this early in the game.

Im inclined to beleive this is not a common occurance and just a ~1/1000 defect, and that moments are pretty damned bomber.

off to the LBS this afternoon, will report back at the end how its all handled.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
It's also likely that we're all riding around on outsourced frames still. I'd bet that the only a bikes that have been welded in house are the Epiphanies, the newest Truths and the Rogues, with a handful of Moments out there.

Congratulations (and condolences!) - you're the first to find a crack in their Moment.:eek:

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
chad1433 said:
It's also likely that we're all riding around on outsourced frames still. I'd bet that the only a bikes that have been welded in house are the Epiphanies, the newest Truths and the Rogues, with a handful of Moments out there.

Congratulations (and condolences!) - you're the first to find a crack in their Moment.:eek:
All ?? how far back does the outsourcing go Chad ?

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
chad1433 said:
That's a good question...my guess is, "all the way".
So then all the way back to 94/95 ?,for ALL of the frames they have ever sold,since before the building of the infamous 'enviromentally friendly' building? Question 2: Has Tony ever picked up a torch and welded ANY of the frames that have his name on them ??? just curious.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update

Dropped the frame off at the LBS.
Totally expecting it to take at least 7-10 business days for the frame to get to them, inspect it, and ship out a new frame.

Got a call in the car 10 minutes later on my way home.
EW is shipping out a frame TODAY so I can have it for the weekend.

:thumbsup: to EW

·
Unchained Freewheel
283 Posts
pechelman said:
Totally expecting it to take at least 7-10 business days for the frame to get to them, inspect it, and ship out a new frame.

RIGHT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am soo happy to hear this !!! good for you and congrats !! :thumbsup: Sorry for being soo suspicious and hard hearted earlier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am going out to my bike with a magnifying glass and look for cracks right now! All this stuff worries me, heck I am 265 and ride my Moment hard AM.
Are the Moment frames all out sourced, or have some been made inthe new place?

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts

Awesome dude, big ups to E..

Jim Burke I am going out to my bike with a magnifying glass and look for cracks right now! All this stuff worries me, heck I am 265 and ride my Moment hard AM.
Are the Moment frames all out sourced, or have some been made inthe new place?
I think you'll be safe get out the MG but Id say this was pretty rare otherwise we wouyld have heard of some serious accidents by now! That was a man defect not a hard riding issue IMO other areas would give way first thats probably one of the stongest areas of the Moment frame..

Rest easy and go hard on yr Moment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.