Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Moment + 36 + Gooseberry Mesa

I went to my local racecourse and finished the fork's setup today. Amazingly, I ended up leaving it set up as it came from the factory. I don't think I've ever done that with any suspension product before. The rebound is the seventh setting from the fastest, the slow compression is the second from the fastest and the high speed compression is the fastest. I set the air pressure at 70 psi and got 27 mm of sag (the manual recommends 23 mm of sag for the most XC racy setup and 38 for the most DH oriented). I can definitely feel the effect of changing each setting.

I then drove up to Gooseberry Mesa, one of our best local rides. Actually it is one of the best rides anywhere. The bike/fork combination felt perfect. I was able to climb more of the ride than I ever have, I even cleaned the final steep climb before the vantage point. That is the one climb at Gooseberry I've never been able to clean. I never shortened the travel, because I was able to climb fine with full extension. I used only 5 of the 6 inches of travel on the ride, including a couple of 2 1/2 to 3 foot drops to flat. The fork is amazingly reassuring, and as a result, I was able to confidently stand and hammer on some of the more difficult parts of the ride without the wheel deflecting and causing me to stop. In summary, I can't think of a better setup for local or Moab style riding.

There were a bunch of people on the trail. The Asian guy you can barely see was with a bunch of Californians, some of whom had mtb review stickers on their vehicles. I don't know if he's an mtbr celebrity or not. The view in the background is the West Temple of Zion National park.

This is a view from the trail with the same formation in the background.

Mollie's Nipple and the south rim of the mesa.

Often posted view from the farthest point you can ride to on the mesa.

A well kept secret. This gas station in Apple Valley (south edge of the mesa) has the best hamburgers and french fries within 100 miles of Saint George.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Great pics! The riding in that area sound awsome!

The Spaniards that came through that area, originally, and named everything must have been hornier then hell.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'll second that, great pics Bob, thanks for making the effort to post. BTW that 36 looks a lot more at home on your bike than the talas did!! I'm still playing with the adjustments on mine but i don't think the factory settings are too far off either, i run 70 psi and weigh around 185Ib's and get through most of the travel regularly- may even try more psi. at some point. Be sure to let us know your final settings if they change.Bye for now.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I wonder if the "asian" guy was our very own Gregg Kato headed for Fruita? Just a totally wild guess...

I think CrashTheDOG was up there this weekend and said the trails were a mob scene. There was a line at most tech sections.

I also find the best way to keep well-kept secrets kept well is to post pics of them on the internet. :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Great pics

I am torn, not sure what i like the most. Your bike, the trails, or the cheap gas prices. Here in San Diego AM/PM is $2.51/gal for regular.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts